PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Redding

cobra198
08-26-2009, 6:12 PM
Hey Guys,

This weekend I am heading up to Redding, and if possible I would like to do some shooting while up there. I have never been before, but have heard lots of talk about BLM land in that area. Just did some research and found some good info, but wanted to clarify a few points before I head out.

A few people talked about Whiskeytown Lake, and said that was a good area to go and shoot. Looked up the web page for Whiskeytown (http://www.nps.gov/whis/index.htm) but didn't really see anything about shooting on this land. I am a bit confused because it looks like it is National Parks Service land, not BLM land. I wanted to be doubly sure that it is ok to shoot out here. It is very close to where I will be staying, and would be super convenient.

I was looking at other places like Coleman, Keswick, and Iron Mountain but a few Calguns members mentioned that they are only open until noon because of the extremely dry conditions during this time of year. If possible, I would like to have the option to stay later than noon, even though it is probably going to be extremely hot!

Anyways, I would appreciate any input that you guys can give me in regards to shooting in the Redding area. If I overlooked a good spot, please let me know!

Cheers!

camsoup
08-26-2009, 7:56 PM
Whiskeytown is most certainly out... it is national park/monument land, not national forest. No shooting is allowed.

Even though it is restrcited to a closing time of noon, I would recommend Keswick, it is one and the same as Iron Mt. road (the road is Iron Mt. road, and passes right next to Keswick reservoir)

Its close to Whiskeytown and can be accessed via rock creek road if your coming from out by the lake. Either way just head west on Iron Mt. once you pass the turn off for the Keswick boat ramp, its just another 1/2-3/4 mile up the road depending on which turn out you shoot at! All 4 turnouts are on your left as you drive out.

SlushPup
08-26-2009, 8:34 PM
:iagree:

Google Olde West Pawn/Loan in Redding before you go and make sure to stop in. You will not be disappointed. They can tell you about that BLM spot.

Also, hit up Nice Shot if you want to shoot at the best indoor range (IMO), of course they may persuade you to just shoot there. You can even let your AR loose in there if you have the urge.

Redding is a great gun town. I wish everywhere else was too.

slushpup

cobra198
08-26-2009, 9:40 PM
Whiskeytown is most certainly out... it is national park/monument land, not national forest. No shooting is allowed.

Even though it is restrcited to a closing time of noon, I would recommend Keswick, it is one and the same as Iron Mt. road (the road is Iron Mt. road, and passes right next to Keswick reservoir)

Its close to Whiskeytown and can be accessed via rock creek road if your coming from out by the lake. Either way just head west on Iron Mt. once you pass the turn off for the Keswick boat ramp, its just another 1/2-3/4 mile up the road depending on which turn out you shoot at! All 4 turnouts are on your left as you drive out.

Ah ok, I thought it might be out. Good thing I asked. Thanks for the tip, I will def. check out Keswick. Sounds like it is still really close to where I will be this weekend. So you can hang a left at any of the 4 turn outs for shooting? Sounds good to me. I'll just have to make sure to head out early so I can have plenty of time to shoot before the noon cutoff. Thanks again for the info. I appreciate it!

cobra198
08-26-2009, 9:46 PM
:iagree:

Google Olde West Pawn/Loan in Redding before you go and make sure to stop in. You will not be disappointed. They can tell you about that BLM spot.

Also, hit up Nice Shot if you want to shoot at the best indoor range (IMO), of course they may persuade you to just shoot there. You can even let your AR loose in there if you have the urge.

Redding is a great gun town. I wish everywhere else was too.

slushpup

Ahhhh that's right. I have heard nothing but good things about Olde West Pawn, but totally forgot that its right up in Redding. Another thing on the list of things to check out!

As for indoor ranges, I hit up Reeds here in Santa Clara quite often. I would love to get the opportunity to shoot on some wide open land since I very seldom get the chance to do so. It is a very good option if I still feel like shooting after 12:00 though. Thanks again for the suggestions! This trip is shaping up to be pretty awesome...