PDA

View Full Version : Goo-Gone?

SixPointEight
08-26-2009, 6:22 PM
I've been reading up on how to get cosmoline out of the wood stock on my newly aquired Mosin Nagant. I have heard a citrus based cleaner in addition the the natural oven of my vehicle, should get the most of it out. With that said, what I see online is that Goo-Gone, or Goo-Off (essentially this stuff (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3747518&kw=citrus&origkw=citrus&searchId=43209133664)) should get it off without harming the finish. I want to keep the original finish if I can. If anyone's used it or a similar product, let me know if it damaged the varnish at all, and how it worked out.

glennsche
08-26-2009, 7:22 PM
i've not used goo gone for guns before, though it strikes me as a good idea.

i'm not a huge fan of the soviet original finishes. if you use the boiling water to clean the bore after you shoot (if you shoot) surp ammo, if you spill any, you'll find you spot your stocks with white marks (the same kind of white mark as the ring left behind when you leave when putting a wet glass on a wooden table).

i've come to the conclusion that the stocks arent refurb finished all that well and arent super water tight; so if it comes to it, revarnish it. i'm about to do that with my 91/30, m44 and svt40.

SixPointEight
08-26-2009, 9:42 PM
Here's the plan. After a visit to Ace, they had nothing I was looking at. I bough Mr. Clean Multi-surface Ultimate Orange cleaner, says its safe on varnished wood floors. Worst case it ruins the finish, and I can soak it in hot water to smooth it, then use super fine sandpaper and refinish, just wanna avoid the sanding if I can.

johnthomas
08-27-2009, 1:09 AM
I put the metal parts in a big pot and boil the cosmo out, I use the dishwasher for the stock. Only do the diswasher if your going to refinish the stock.

rjf
08-27-2009, 3:29 PM
Your stock is probably finished with shellac. The solvent for shellac is denatured alcohol. Cosmo can probably be wiped off the stock without much effort using paper towels and mineral spirits as shellac prevents the cosmo from soaking into the wood. Shellac will also prevent the dishwasher from working its magic. Don't know if a 38 or 44 stock will fit in a dishwasher.

Gallons of boiling water and a brush will melt off cosmo real well. You will also need a catch basin to collect the water and cosmo. Don't pour it down YOUR drain. Brake Cleaner works well and many other solvents also work well to clean the metal. Make sure to oil all metal after water or brake cleaner to prevent rust.

A supply of "Cold Ones" is also required.

Fjold
08-27-2009, 4:30 PM
I put the metal parts in a big pot and boil the cosmo out, I use the dishwasher for the stock. Only do the diswasher if your going to refinish the stock.

And if Wifezilla doesn't see it.

Spiggy
08-27-2009, 6:15 PM
I just take apart most of the gun and leave it in my solar oven(black painted aluminum trashcan)

:D works wonders. Afterwards, just clean the metal surfaces and you're good to go

SixPointEight
08-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Your stock is probably finished with shellac. The solvent for shellac is denatured alcohol. Cosmo can probably be wiped off the stock without much effort using paper towels and mineral spirits as shellac prevents the cosmo from soaking into the wood. Shellac will also prevent the dishwasher from working its magic. Don't know if a 38 or 44 stock will fit in a dishwasher.

Gallons of boiling water and a brush will melt off cosmo real well. You will also need a catch basin to collect the water and cosmo. Don't pour it down YOUR drain. Brake Cleaner works well and many other solvents also work well to clean the metal. Make sure to oil all metal after water or brake cleaner to prevent rust.

A supply of "Cold Ones" is also required.

Many cold ones lol. Hopefully you're right on the shellac. It'd be nice to just wipe it off after letting it warm up a little. My girlfriend's grandmother handed me some Mr. Clean Orange Action hardwood floor cleaner that says it'll cut grease. I was thinking to myself...wtf....DUH. Dishwasher is out of the question, and I have a huge supply of brake clean for the metal parts. The metal parts will be as clean as...well probably the day it was dipped in cosmo lol

Gunaria
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
I've used it for light cleaning but not as my primary cleaning method. Here's a hint, sometimes you can find it at the dollar stores. When I see it in stock there I usually pick up a couple of bottles of it.

rogdigity
08-29-2009, 10:59 PM
And if Wifezilla doesn't see it.

ha, nice. my wife doesnt even ask me anymore when she finds random gun things (stocks, parts, scopes, ammo, cans, ...... and god knows what else) laying around. im sure she would kill me for putting a stock in the dish washer though. maybe use your friends??? no, probably shouldnt do that either.

as far as metal parts go, i had a BAD cozmo problem when i first got my SKS. i tried my patience with rags, patches, and scrapers but gave up. i heard brake cleaner would work, but didnt do so much for me. i spot tested my SKS under the receiver with some carb cleaner and it didnt take off the bluing, so, i hit the whole thing with it. it worked great. didnt eff up the bluing at all either. im sure the russian bluing is more resiliant then my chinese SKS bluing.

personally, after i got my nagant m44 i found out it had been pressure washed. seemed to get rid of most of it. i only had to clear a bit from the bolt and a couple small spors between the metal and wood parts.

also, when i shoot my nagant and it gets warm the bolt starts to get hard to open. i have been told a bunch of times now that cozmo can crystalize in the chamber, making it hard to open when its warmed up after shooting ~30 rounds through it. what i did was put ~50 rounds through it and immediately popped out the bolt and sued a 20 gauge bore brush and some solvent and scrubbed the sh*t outta the chamber. repeat until the rifle is too hot to hold (about 2 more times in another 70 rounds or so) and it seems to be easier now

EricClay
08-30-2009, 12:54 AM
A hairdryer and paper towels will pull all the cosmoline out of the wood. Heat the wood until it gets glossy and wipe it with a clean paper towel. When the wood stops getting glossy your done. Avoid getting the wood too hot.

G-Man WC
08-30-2009, 1:03 AM
Get a can of ovan cleaner and soak your stock down with it. Let it set 10 minutes and crank up the hot water in the shower. Rinse and set out to dry. I've had good results 5 out of six trys, with only one 91/230 stock spliting. You may want to wait for the weather to cool down a little. To hot or cold may be a bad thing in the amount of dry time. Good luck. -g

hawk81
08-30-2009, 12:32 PM
I used engine degreaser on mine. It worked great.

NotSoFast
09-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Only use the dishwasher if you're single -- or want to be. :D