PDA

View Full Version : 15W - Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Operato

masterB
08-26-2009, 6:05 PM
Does anyone know anything about this MOS? I always wanted to be a pilot but I feel that unmanned airplane is the way of future in aviation, plus seem like all the agencies including CIA and FBI are adding UAVs into their units. So it might be a good career when I'm done with the military. So what do you guys think?

masterB
08-27-2009, 4:59 PM
No body knows about this MOS or something similar??

KUJO
08-27-2009, 6:13 PM
I am currently in the training a SUAV, they are a lot of fun, very simple and easy to maintain. My mos is 31B (MP) but they are training us to be operators.

masterB
08-27-2009, 8:10 PM
Is operating the drone your only job or you have do all the maintenance on it too? Is this a front line job or mostly intel gathering missions at the base?

oops
09-07-2009, 2:28 AM
If you want to be a pilot you should go that route. the civilian sector will be a while before anyone thinks about flying without a pilot. what I'm saying is there won't be many jobs available after the service for remote control operators. good luck

monstertodd
09-09-2009, 5:52 AM
I'm a civillian UAV operator. There are tons of UAV operator jobs out there if you are willing to look, and are willing to deploy overseas.

masterB
09-09-2009, 2:12 PM
I'm a civillian UAV operator. There are tons of UAV operator jobs out there if you are willing to look, and are willing to deploy overseas.

Hey monstertodd, did you operated a UAV when you were in the military and what branch? "Am I will to deploy" and the answer is YES. Can you tell me where to look for UAV operator jobs?Do company hire UAV operator without any actual UAV experience?
Thanks

gn3hz3ku1*
09-12-2009, 3:19 PM
Hey monstertodd, did you operated a UAV when you were in the military and what branch? "Am I will to deploy" and the answer is YES. Can you tell me where to look for UAV operator jobs?Do company hire UAV operator without any actual UAV experience?
Thanks

the mil is not the only people flying UAVs

s30
09-12-2009, 3:27 PM
I am currently in the training a SUAV, they are a lot of fun, very simple and easy to maintain. My mos is 31B (MP) but they are training us to be operators.

Being a former 95b/31b i find that really cool, but the SUAV is completely different then a UAV. Either way, keep up the good work kujo!

KUJO
09-12-2009, 4:15 PM
Yes you are correct, it is a very simple AV compared to the big planes, a lot easier and simpler to fly. That is why they have there own MOS's. For what we need them for I think that the SUAV is better for our needs, but if you want a AV that can put rounds on target or survey large areas the larger UAV's are the way to go.

Being a former 95b/31b i find that really cool, but the SUAV is completely different then a UAV. Either way, keep up the good work kujo!

Digital_Boy
09-12-2009, 4:55 PM

That sounds like it'd be a pretty challenging and rewarding career. Is there any path into that career other than prior military experience/training?

gn3hz3ku1*
09-12-2009, 8:09 PM
soo many soldiers/marines dont realize how the UAV has saved their arses...

monstertodd
09-17-2009, 11:32 AM
That sounds like it'd be a pretty challenging and rewarding career. Is there any path into that career other than prior military experience/training?

I got into the job with zero UAV experience. I think what made it for me was a combination of high demand for people willing to deploy overseas and operate these things, and my secret security clearance. Plus, my resume was directly passed up by an employee who referred me.

This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scan_Eagle) is the UAV I operate.

And my company: www.insitu.com (http://www.insitu.com)

EH2045
09-22-2009, 7:58 PM
MonsterTodd,

How hard would you say it is for someone to get hired by your particular company. I currently have a secret security clearance and I've recently finished MOS training as a 15W. Also I'm in the National Guard so it shouldn't be an issue with the military. I'm also willing to deploy

monstertodd
09-23-2009, 1:16 AM
MonsterTodd,

How hard would you say it is for someone to get hired by your particular company. I currently have a secret security clearance and I've recently finished MOS training as a 15W. Also I'm in the National Guard so it shouldn't be an issue with the military. I'm also willing to deploy

I don't think it would be hard at all. Just submit a resume! The company was going through a frantic hiring phase about 6 months ago. I think it's started to taper off a bit. I'm not too sure to be honest with you mainly because I haven't been around the office in 4 months. I've been in Afghanistan, so I'm a little detached with what's going on back at the office.

Let me know if you have any questions.

zukieast
09-23-2009, 7:22 AM
UAS systems are a growing industry and encompass the entire spectrum of capabilities. I have been working with DOD system for over 15 years and have experience in just about all the UAS systems currently being used.

As long as the DOD continues to expand the role of UAS systems. That being said there still continues to be roadblocks.

Dont for any instance consider yourself to be a pilot or pilot status when you learn to fly these things. They are nothing more than remote controlled airplanes. So there is no need to train to the same level as a pilot.

That being said there are exceptions based on the how the system is launched and recovered and the altitude it flys will dictate the level of complexity and amount of FAA training required to operate.

Example being a RAVEN does not fly high enoug and long enough to require a pilot to worry about airspace deconfliction. And it is deployed out of a pelican case to look over the hill.

ScanEagle is a great system, but it is launced by a catapault system and captured by a snare, and flys a pre-programmed mission, but does allow the pilots to make changes on the fly to address immediate needs.

Warrior Alpa has to use a runway, which woul require ground knowledge of runways, FAA take off and landing procedures etc.

Predator, only qualified pilots can fly these because they are very complex and fly very high.

Global Hawk, same thing but it mostly flys on a pre-programmed mission.

Just a few of the systems to pay attention to.

The big problem is the FAA prohibits UAS systems from being operated over populated areas of CONUS. So the benefits of being able to monitor crisis situations in urban areas are stuck in red tape with people arguing about airspace deconfliction of a UAS flying around and low flying private and commercial aircraft. There is not pilot or co-pilot to look for oncoming aircraft.

The biggest take away to all of these systems that is just as important as the video itself is the Telemetry Data provided. It is that data that makes the UAS system so vital to everyone else.

You cant go wrong by learning how to use these systems, but you need to learn the bigger picture (comms, data flow, consumers, maintance) to really aid you in a successful post mil. career.

Remember, Tech reps are a pain in the butt, but they do talk about who is good and who is a turd when they are out in the field and when you start dropping resumes looking for a job they are going to remember you and say "ye" or "ne".

EH2045
09-23-2009, 9:08 PM
I don't think it would be hard at all. Just submit a resume! The company was going through a frantic hiring phase about 6 months ago. I think it's started to taper off a bit. I'm not too sure to be honest with you mainly because I haven't been around the office in 4 months. I've been in Afghanistan, so I'm a little detached with what's going on back at the office.

Insitu, Evergreen, Isrgroup, and Boeing all supply FSR's (Field Service Representatives) to our Scan Eagle contracts. Boeing is probably the hardest to get on with. Insitu pays the best and has the best benefits (in my opinion). Do you have any deployment experience under your belt? That would help a lot too.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll think of some more to send your way.

monstertodd
09-24-2009, 12:59 AM
ScanEagle is a great system, but it is launced by a catapault system and captured by a snare, and flys a pre-programmed mission, but does allow the pilots to make changes on the fly to address immediate needs.

edited

Rem1492
10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Dept Homeland Sec/Customs Border Patrol also is using UAVs. Its a mobile job but the guys seem to like it. As a pilot it doesnt interest me too much, but if I couldnt fly, and didnt mind travel around the southern US, it'd be a great job.

powaybob
10-05-2009, 7:13 AM
I work for Northrop Grumman Unmanned Systems in San Diego. We make a number of high end UAS including Global Hawk and Fire Scout.

You can look at our jobs website http://horizonscareers.northgrum.com/HorizonsWeb/getCareerHome.do to see what is available. Look for flight test-related openings. We use several civilian operators of UAS for development and test. Generally you have to be an IFR rated pilot I believe.

chris sekhar
04-06-2010, 2:25 PM
Hi..

One of my client is hiring UAV Operator's in Texas, Please do let me know if you would like to apply for this position. Send me your resume if you are interested at the below email.

reach me at chris.iic@hotmail.com

KevinXT
04-06-2010, 8:53 PM
ever thought about the USAF? im not sure about how the army operates but on the big UAVs like the Predator and Reaper; officers do all the flying of the aircraft (just like any other air craft) enlisted are "sensor operators" (in other words run the cameras, weapon systems etc)

The Air Guard out of March ARB in riverside flys UAVs in the middle east right from the base....

E-120
04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
If you are interested in flying you should give basic flight training a try. There is always a need for pilots.

spegull03
04-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Hi..

One of my client is hiring UAV Operator's in Texas, Please do let me know if you would like to apply for this position. Send me your resume if you are interested at the below email.

reach me at chris.iic@hotmail.com

Can you share with us some more information? who you are, what company you represent, etc?

California Major
04-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Cal Guard has some UAV operator slots

Rem1492
05-02-2010, 8:29 PM
I researched UAVs more and am now interested and found more data.

I am a pilot training instructor and a C-130guy by trade, out of a pilot training class of 20 dudes, there is about 2-3 UAV drops, the rest are instructor slots and real world planes. UAVs are not typically first choice for new pilots but for guys who are worn out from deploying, they are a good change.

For USAF UAVs you must complete pilot training and be accepted by a unit to do so, not easy.

I have some buddies flying UAVs as civvies, VERY well paid and enticing, Id look into that. The Guard in CA flies preds I think, for that youd need to go to pilot training, unless there are other smaller UAVs the Guard has.

My fam is in Socal so joining the UAV unit at March is very tempting for me. Still some time to look into it.

Tintreach
05-17-2010, 4:25 PM
Wow, awesome thread. A lot of knowledge here. Glad the Aviation industry is thriving in some way.