PDA

View Full Version : Interstate Arms 870 clone

TBY
03-09-2005, 3:39 PM
Anyone have experiences with this? I've seen them at Big5 in Cali for I think $169. I haven't inspected them yet, but am interested. They are Norinco made 870 clones. I believe they come with parkerized finish, synthetic stock, ghost rings, and 5+1. I think they don't have the safety button either.

I'm trying to decide on whether to buy that or an 870 express HD for a budget build up. I like that the clone already has a good finish and sights, which the 870 HD doesn't. The clone might also have an aluminum trigger guard instead of the 870 HD plastic one. I have heard that the parts between the two are 90% compatible. I think the barrel and magazine length are different slightly.

On the clone I would probably add a +1 magazine extension (is this possible to make flush to the barrel using 870 part?), change to a shorter forend, and add a 6 round sidesaddle. On the 870 HD, assuming it already has the magazine extension, change to a shorter forend, add a 6 round sidesaddle, jumbo head safety, and take out the front bead, thread the hole, and install a tritium screw in bead. The price difference between the two after build up would be around $200.

I have also considered the better built 870 police, but it's stretching the budget and not as readily available as the other two.

Sorry for the long post. Maybe someone can jump in and help me, thanks!

TBY
03-09-2005, 3:39 PM
Anyone have experiences with this? I've seen them at Big5 in Cali for I think $169. I haven't inspected them yet, but am interested. They are Norinco made 870 clones. I believe they come with parkerized finish, synthetic stock, ghost rings, and 5+1. I think they don't have the safety button either.

I'm trying to decide on whether to buy that or an 870 express HD for a budget build up. I like that the clone already has a good finish and sights, which the 870 HD doesn't. The clone might also have an aluminum trigger guard instead of the 870 HD plastic one. I have heard that the parts between the two are 90% compatible. I think the barrel and magazine length are different slightly.

On the clone I would probably add a +1 magazine extension (is this possible to make flush to the barrel using 870 part?), change to a shorter forend, and add a 6 round sidesaddle. On the 870 HD, assuming it already has the magazine extension, change to a shorter forend, add a 6 round sidesaddle, jumbo head safety, and take out the front bead, thread the hole, and install a tritium screw in bead. The price difference between the two after build up would be around $200.

I have also considered the better built 870 police, but it's stretching the budget and not as readily available as the other two.

Sorry for the long post. Maybe someone can jump in and help me, thanks!

BigAL
03-09-2005, 6:10 PM
"If you buy quality, you'll only cry once."

ivanimal
03-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Even if you have to wait buy the 870 i have had mine since 1976. They are built to last.

imported_kantstudien
03-11-2005, 1:26 AM
Do what a smart person would do (not me http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif) Save your money for a Remington 870 Police Magnum. Do it right, and do it only once. Yes, there are differences including non-PC safety, metal triggerguard, heavier trigger spring, tighter tolerances, no dimples to prevent mag extension, better forend, etc.

.45shooter
03-12-2005, 8:53 PM
I have the clone model. Only got it for home defense. It does have a safety and the sights are pretty good. The barrel is thin and will not take alot of consecutive slug rounds you may be able to let out 5 slugs and let it sit for 5 min. but it handles 00buck pretty well. I shot about 150 rounds throught it with no problems. I added a 6 shot side saddle, and a speedfed stock and forearm with a tac light and sling. Not bad for less than 3 bills.(lots of ebay searching for good deals) I can send you a couple pics if you want PM or email me

gunsnrovers
03-14-2005, 8:01 AM
For just a few bucks more you could get a used 870 that will actually last a lifetime.

Saw a real pretty older 870 Wingmaster with a 20" tube last week for all of $250.

I'd take a S&W 3000 over a Norinco copy of the 870.

bwiese
03-14-2005, 9:52 AM
I've seen basic Rem 870s go for as low as $260ish. You're getting $100+ better gun than the Norinco, and replacement parts are guaranteed to fit.

While indirectly true with most Chinese products, if you buy a Norinco/Interstate gun, you're pretty directly subsidizing improvement of Chinese nuclear weapons/rocketry/guidance, and possibly helping put a bullet in a US soldier in some future Asian conflict.

If you can't afford the 870, try a Mossberg 500 or a Benelli Nova 'Special Purpose'.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

endings1@aol.com
03-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Buy whatever you can afford, is legal and available, while you still can. Buy, the Remington when you want the real deal.http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I owned a Remington 870 Express, it was a solid shotty, my main gripe was that it weighed a ton after putting a Choate folding stock/pistol grip, barrel shroud, extended magazine, side saddle, loaded with 7+1 rounds. My current Maverick 88 is pretty simple compared to a 870, but it's very light, due to the aluminium receiver.

You can't escape "Made in China" goods, look at most products we buy at Wal-Mart.

What about the oil we put in our cars? Does that contribute to our War casualites in the Middle East?

Unless you walk everywere, we are all involved in adding to the big picture of things.

Anywhoo, back on topic. Chinese made firearms are quality in my experience. If you buy American, that money is eventually going to be used to buy Chinese made goods and/or oil. Why not at least have the firearm to show for it?http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In this day of outsourcing, you never know what really is American anymore. And, that is American.

gunsnrovers
03-14-2005, 9:06 PM
I don't have a problem buying foreign over domestic. Sometimes it makes sense.

A Brazil/Imbel made Springfield GI for a base pistol costs $400. If you can find a basic Colt 1911 NRM for under $600, you're doing very well. The foreign made CZ75 is a bagain and for under $400 I'd take it over a US made Ruger or some other brands in the $500~$700 range.

The $200 price point for shotguns is a different animal though. The cheap foreign knock offs coming in are decent enough copies of older designs, but there also tends to be enough difference that many aftermarket accessories don't/won't work. It can also be a challenge to fix anything that can and will go wrong. For the $40 difference between picking up a Chinese 870 and picking up a clean used real 870, the extra $40 will pay for itself many times over down the road.