PDA

View Full Version : Feelings about National Guard

Oregon
08-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Ive been in the Guard for 3 years now and know alot of active duty/prior service guys have alot of preconcived ideas about the guard. I just want to get you take after having been deployed my self.

JerryM
08-26-2009, 4:30 PM
There is a bunch of crap going on between the guard/reserves vs. the active component.

In my specialty, the guard did a lot better because it is mainly manned by older people as opposed to young kids out of AIT.

The one thing I do hate is the feelings of inadequacy a lot of Guard senior leadership get when working with AD. "they're active, so they know what they are doing". That totally drove me nuts!!!

Most AD units realize in a month or three that we are competent and can think outside the box more often than not.

Rant over.

deleted by PC police
08-26-2009, 4:44 PM
As a citizen I believe the guard is equally as awsome as full time military.

socaldsal
08-26-2009, 5:07 PM
Many folks in the Guard were active duty but couldn't get it out of their system. With most folks having gone through combat over the last 8 years, there is not a HUGE (as it used to be) discrepancy in the thought process of leadership, professionalism, and tactics. The key is this: finding a good unit that expects you to maintain and uphold the standards.

There are shetbirds Army wide, active, guard, and reserve, so remember the 10% rule.

You've been deployed, if you performed your job to the standard you are just another one of us in green (or that gray green abortion color), whether you remain guard or go active.

Oregon
08-26-2009, 8:29 PM
Thanks alot for your guys imput. I know it goes both ways and that there good and bads on each side. I have to say that alot of the prior service guys ive delt with have taught me alot.

trautert
08-26-2009, 8:38 PM
Guard/Reserve are no longer the "weekend warriors" they were twenty years ago. How good any unit might be depends entirely on the command structure up the chain.
Tom

dwa
08-26-2009, 11:41 PM
my experience with the ng aside from their mechanic were extremely negative, i also had a reserve mp unit attached my second tour and it was not a pleasant experience when i was active. im reserve now and will not comment on my current unit.

Wango Tango
08-26-2009, 11:52 PM
I haven't had one good experience with reserve guys. We also had some attached to us on my second deployment.

NorCalRifleman
08-27-2009, 12:03 AM
I deployed with a stand up group of AD guys led by a NG unit of all officers. It was hell. Didn't help that they were Army and we were Air Force.
That is my only negative experience with guard. The guys I work with now who are on active orders are some of the best men and women I've had the pleasure to serve with. Even other guard units I worked with in Iraq didn't seem to have the same attitude toward us as the one we were tied to. My experience with reservists has also been mostly positive, though very limited.

Redfoot
08-28-2009, 1:28 PM
You can't pigeonhole the entire HG or Reserve due to the varied missions. There is a dustoff Sq near me in Sac that is full of great guys that work their asses off, and many guys I met through in NG aerovac were squared away.

Honestly...

I was an ADAF medic, and I rarely had a decent experience with the Guard. Tech school was an extended vacation for them, the discrepancy in pay and rank, etc. torqued the AD guys.

Frankly, I would not want a part time medic working on me, unless they do that job in the civilian sector.

And there is little to no guarantee that any other part time member worked in a career field even remotely related to what they do in the military. Of three consecutive guard units rotating through Colorado Springs for annual training, I found 4 people who actually worked in a nursing area/ambulance setting.

While deployed, it was easy to weed out the NG guys buy the haircuts, disheveled uniform, and waistlines. I know it was not this way everywhere, but at my base it was.

Funny thing though, on the rare times it happened I did like deploying with NG and Reserve nurse officers. They cared a lot more about patient care and were much more knowledgeable then there AD counterparts, because they actually had to do patient care and whatnot.

All of my buddies that went into part time status after spending time AD told me that there was a distinct culture shock.

All that I really care about is if everyone around me has a good work eithic, are squared away, and can get stuff done NG, Reserve, AD, or not. Holes in training while deployed can be filled. PT, stupidity and discipline are things that we should not have to address in the sand box.

My 0.02

-Redfoot

Army GI
09-06-2009, 2:41 PM
There is a bunch of crap going on between the guard/reserves vs. the active component.

In my specialty, the guard did a lot better because it is mainly manned by older people as opposed to young kids out of AIT.

The one thing I do hate is the feelings of inadequacy a lot of Guard senior leadership get when working with AD. "they're active, so they know what they are doing". That totally drove me nuts!!!

Most AD units realize in a month or three that we are competent and can think outside the box more often than not.

Rant over.

Yeah, as if theres no bad AD units.

The whole Guard vs Regular Army thing is bull****. Our uniforms don't say Guard or Reserve, it says US Army! We all bleed the same ****ing blood for this country.

Manic Moran
09-07-2009, 9:41 AM
We're currently attached to an Active Duty unit, and even their Bde Cdr acknowleges us as one of his better battalions. Granted, it helped that my squadron whipped another brigade of his division as OpFor a while ago (the current bde CSM was in the brigade on the receiving end at the time), so we had a positive preconception before we showed up, as opposed to the more common negative one of "Crap, it's a Guard unit" which most Guard units need to overcome.

Don't go to a Guard unit expecting it to be like an Active Duty one. It's not. That doesn't mean it's any worse, or any better though, it's just a little different. We've got squadron leadership, both officer and enlisted, that have worked together for over a decade, and know each other very well. Try to find that in an Active Duty unit.

NTM

JerryM
09-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Yeah, as if theres no bad AD units.

The whole Guard vs Regular Army thing is bull****. Our uniforms don't say Guard or Reserve, it says US Army! We all bleed the same ****ing blood for this country.

LOL, of course there are plenty of bad AD units.

Do you remember the 5th ID in Louisiana? LOL, that unit was the epitome of pathetic.

But you know how all that jazz goes. When I was active, I used to laugh at the Guard units maneuvering at Ft. Drum. But that is Alpha Male BS that is practiced service wide:

U.S. Marines are better than anybody else, they are elite because they are such a small unit vs. they are just naval infantry and they know it.

SF vs. SeALs vs. PJ ad nauseaum.

Airforce has more remote controls than rifles

Army has more boats than the Navy

Blah blah blah...

People with small brains will always look at something outside their control for pride and glory

(^_^)

willfenn
09-08-2009, 5:10 AM
I think the guard would be well served to increase the duration of drills to 4 days. This would allow for a day of admin (this is a weak area based on my experience) and 3 days of MOS specific training. Mandatory overnight drills would be an added plus. Soldiers would complain but it would only help IMO.

That being said, I think the Guard is a great vehicle to serve our country and to be in a position to help during local/not-so-local emergencies. Ultimately, it varies from unit to unit but there is one universal truth concerning the guard...you get out of it what you put into it...

The above assumes you are in MDAY status.

Soldier415
09-08-2009, 5:31 AM
When the 101st was still over here, we worked with them clearing the routes for their OPs for 2 months before they found out we were a guard unit.

Their CSM said, "I take back everything I ever said aboutthe NG"

Jamez
09-09-2009, 11:33 PM
I've been in the NG for a hair over a year now, I was active for 3 years with 4ID at Ft Hood.
My experience has been mixed. I've seen some fat slobs on every end of the spectrum, but that comes down to the individual not the component.

I will say that when I was at Roberts CIF a couple months back, I had THE BEST supply experience EVER with the MSG there. I went to get a medium vest instead of a large, and he didn't have a problem. Then I asked for some older style velcro, double mag pouches (the individual ones) instead some of the newer style ones i don't like and he said "Ok sure. Follow this SPC and TAKE WHATEVER YOU WANT AND I WILL ADD IT TO YOUR HAND RECEIPT"
i'm used to fighting and screaming over gear and now i had free range!

i like the Guard because I can still be play Army but not have to cut grass and flip rocks. Plus the Guard has some really neat AGR jobs and things like that so if for some reason i lose my job i can always try to go AGR, or back active for a while if i get bored.

Yea the communication may not be as fast and you may have to wait a day or 2 for an answer about drill and the week before drill your phone will blow up with dozens of last minute crap....but it's the Gaurd.
Take it for what it is, make the best out of it, and if you're a leader teach the dumb kids about how the real Army works so they're not AS ate up.

JerryM
09-10-2009, 2:43 PM
Wow Jamez, you were lucky.

When I went to CIF at Roberts, they did not even want to give me a freaking helmet mount for my NVGs LOL, and they had a box right under the counter full of used ones.

And the gear was dirty and almost unserviceable. They must have new management now!

Ah, the glory of the guard. I'm one of those fat guys waiting to get out.

cc56
10-01-2009, 3:13 PM
I was active for 4 years then joined the guard. I will say I have gotten more respect, training and experience with the guard. The medevac unit I am part of is staffed with 90% practicing civilian fire fighter/paramedics. This means as a unit we have skills in high angle rescue, extrication (actually used in Afghanistan), and swift water rescue. The AD standard is EMT-B and a 1 month flight medic course. They just can't compete with us in retention and experience. Over all I have been much happier with the professionals in the Guard. I will never forget my AD time but I would never go back to AD in a million years.

11Z50
10-01-2009, 4:43 PM
After my first tour of Active Duty, 1975-78, I enlisted in a USAR Special Forces unit in WA. That was a good unit, lots of good guys. I couldn't find a job up there, so I moved back to Cali and transferred to the local Cal Guard Infantry unit. The Guard in 1978 was very different than it is today.....suffice to say most of the rumors were true. A bunch of ragbags for the most part. I joined the Scout Platoon by walking away from Charlie Company at Camp Roberts and telling the Scouts I wanted to be with them. The scout platoon was a far better place to soldier and they took their jobs seriously.

Slowly, the Guard started to change when Reagan was the prez. The leadership changed, and many active duty soldiers joined up. I was a cop back then, and a bunch of my cop buddies joined the local unit. The Guard started getting overseas deployments for annual training rather than hanging out at Camp Roberts doing the same old stuff. This in itself forced the remaining slackers out, and by 1990 most Guard units had deployed to Germany, Korea or some other deployment. The AGR (Active Duty Full-timers at the Armories) program was a big part of the transition and I am proud to say I was a part of that.

1991 brought the Gulf War, then the LA Riots, then the fires, floods and earthquakes. The Guard had become a credible force and was used quite often. On 9-11 my Battalion was mobilized and deployed in 8 days.

By the time I retired in 2003 the Guard had become full partners in the Army. A National Guardsman that knows his or her job is as well respected as any other soldier.

Army GI
10-02-2009, 12:23 AM
After my first tour of Active Duty, 1975-78, I enlisted in a USAR Special Forces unit in WA. That was a good unit, lots of good guys. I couldn't find a job up there, so I moved back to Cali and transferred to the local Cal Guard Infantry unit. The Guard in 1978 was very different than it is today.....suffice to say most of the rumors were true. A bunch of ragbags for the most part. I joined the Scout Platoon by walking away from Charlie Company at Camp Roberts and telling the Scouts I wanted to be with them. The scout platoon was a far better place to soldier and they took their jobs seriously.

Slowly, the Guard started to change when Reagan was the prez. The leadership changed, and many active duty soldiers joined up. I was a cop back then, and a bunch of my cop buddies joined the local unit. The Guard started getting overseas deployments for annual training rather than hanging out at Camp Roberts doing the same old stuff. This in itself forced the remaining slackers out, and by 1990 most Guard units had deployed to Germany, Korea or some other deployment. The AGR (Active Duty Full-timers at the Armories) program was a big part of the transition and I am proud to say I was a part of that.

1991 brought the Gulf War, then the LA Riots, then the fires, floods and earthquakes. The Guard had become a credible force and was used quite often. On 9-11 my Battalion was mobilized and deployed in 8 days.

By the time I retired in 2003 the Guard had become full partners in the Army. A National Guardsman that knows his or her job is as well respected as any other soldier.

Amen to that, Master Sergeant!