PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: MSNBC does a "Fair" OPEN CARRY story

Liberty1
08-25-2009, 5:41 PM
Who would have thought they were capable;). Thank you to all who contacted them over their past coverage (one article however past reprehensions does not wipe clean:cool2:)

Vote in their poll (http://www.newsvine.com/_question/2009/08/25/3191601-is-it-appropriate-for-gun-rights-activists-to-openly-carry-their-weapons-near-a-presidential-event) too (what ever your thoughts on OC - you know what answer to give;))

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32492783/ns/us_news-life/

Guns near Obama fuel ‘open-carry’ debate
Second Amendment activists divided by public displays of firearms

Mike Stuckey
Senior news editor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gun owners may be arguing among themselves and with gun-control activists about it, but for Mustapha Kassou, there’s no debate over the “open-carry” movement, which created a furor this month when pistol- and rifle-packing citizens showed up near several public appearances by President Barack Obama.

Kassou was working the cash register in the Richmond, Va., market he owns on July 11 when a gunman stormed the store with robbery on his mind. In an incident captured on surveillance video, the bandit ordered the eight customers to the floor and pumped two bullets from his snub-nosed pistol into Kassou, who fell to the floor behind the counter.

As the store’s patrons prayed and screamed, one of them drew a .45-caliber revolver from a holster in plain view on his hip and ordered the robber to drop his gun. In the shootout and hand-to-hand struggle that followed, the customer managed to wound the robber three times and prevent him from shooting anyone else. By the time police responded to a 911 call, the robber lay mortally wounded in a pool of blood; he died three days later in a hospital.

“Thank God he had his gun that day,” Kassou said of the man with the .45, a friend of his and a member of the loosely organized open-carry movement who has declined to be publicly identified and eschewed any notion that he was a hero.

“He saved many lives that day,” Kassou told msnbc.com in a telephone interview. “If it wasn’t for him, probably I would not be here.”

Kassou and other open-carry advocates say the case is an example that supports their notion that openly armed citizens can deter and stop crime effectively...

Juicymeat
08-25-2009, 5:46 PM
Voted...the comments gave me a headache.

jb7706
08-25-2009, 5:46 PM
I was going to open a new thread but figured I'd contribute to an existing one:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2972292&postcount=309

Nose Nuggets
08-25-2009, 5:59 PM
wowie wow wow. not a bad article.

/did i just say that?

HondaMasterTech
08-25-2009, 6:22 PM
Agree, comments display the true ignorance of many people.

razorx
08-25-2009, 7:17 PM
What kind of bothers me about the whole gun rights issue is our need to justify, though need is practically understandable, in terms of positive impact on society. Rather, impact at a pure philosophical view, is irrelevant.

An individual has a right to life. That is all that is needed.

Why does there seem to be a needed justification (inherent obligation) of the gun owner to "protect" others? There is a lot of baggage that comes from such a position that can be used to regulate the type of person who can "protect" others.

This inherent right to life of an individual is not dependent on location (ie. home).

Oh well, what is inherently "right" vs. lawful vs. political ... I get it, just annoying we can't fully support an individual's right to life.

lioneaglegriffin
08-25-2009, 7:24 PM
You can carry a .50-caliber sniper rifle down the street.

-Helmke

WTF?

who would want to?

postal
08-25-2009, 7:31 PM
Why does there seem to be a needed justification (inherent obligation) of the gun owner to "protect" others? There is a lot of baggage that comes from such a position that can be used to regulate the type of person who can "protect" others.

I see your point, but your logic is flawed. Doesnt work that way.
It's the ability to protect yourself, and the ability to protect others IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT. There is no obligation. Even the police have no OBLIGATION.

Just as with a CPR card, if you have a card, does not REQUIRE you to render aid to an individual. A CPR card means I can, but I'm not a medic/EMT/doctor- I'm not obligated to perform CPR.

And with a CPR card, if you rendered aid, did damage or the person did not survive, most states have "good samaratin" law which prevents you from being liable. (However, if you fire a bullet, you OWN that bullet and are responsible for whatever/whoever it hits!)

postal
08-25-2009, 7:32 PM
Quote:

-Helmke

WTF?

who would want to?

Damn heavy to be carrying one very far..... From my trunk to the bench would be great though.

Hogxtz
08-25-2009, 7:55 PM
I voted. Read the comments and gave me a headacke also. It amazes me how many people dont have common sense. They dont realize that a person intending to do harm to the president isant going to be a law abiding person using a registered firearm that passed a background check that carries the weapon in the open. It will be a illegally concelaed weapon without a permit. Restricting law abiding citizens will not prevent this. Man oh man this stuff just makes me so freakin mad.

lioneaglegriffin
08-25-2009, 8:26 PM
I voted. Read the comments and gave me a headacke also. It amazes me how many people dont have common sense. They dont realize that a person intending to do harm to the president isant going to be a law abiding person using a registered firearm that passed a background check that carries the weapon in the open. It will be a illegally concelaed weapon without a permit. Restricting law abiding citizens will not prevent this. Man oh man this stuff just makes me so freakin mad.

I mentioned a SS impersonator is more dangerous than a OC'er.

Biff...
08-25-2009, 8:40 PM
Wow thoses people making the comments are really "Wee weed out"

Vtec44
08-25-2009, 8:49 PM
WTF?

who would want to?

Weight lifters?

razorx
08-25-2009, 8:59 PM
I see your point, but your logic is flawed. Doesnt work that way.
It's the ability to protect yourself, and the ability to protect others IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT. There is no obligation. Even the police have no OBLIGATION.

Just as with a CPR card, if you have a card, does not REQUIRE you to render aid to an individual. A CPR card means I can, but I'm not a medic/EMT/doctor- I'm not obligated to perform CPR.

And with a CPR card, if you rendered aid, did damage or the person did not survive, most states have "good samaratin" law which prevents you from being liable. (However, if you fire a bullet, you OWN that bullet and are responsible for whatever/whoever it hits!)

I understand the logic you presented, however, in the public eye we seem to continually tie carrying a firearm whether or not CC or OC, to the positive effects on public safety. No Virginia Tech incident, the shop owner in the linked article, etc., Even if there is a negative effect on public safety, the right of the individual to life trumps that issue. We are ok with a certain number of people dying from tobacco, alcohol, auto accidents, etc., that is the price of "freedom". This would be no different even assuming a negative effect.

TaxAnnihilator
08-25-2009, 9:32 PM
“I think the gun lobby is starting to lose its clout,” Helmke said.

The increase in firearm and ammunition sales clearly supports this point.

Who sets the life goal of distorting reality so virulently as to scare citizens into willingly handing over their rights? Mom would be so proud.

lioneaglegriffin
08-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Weight lifters?

so how would they defend themselves in CQ when the guy has glock and you have sniper rifle. this isn't COD4 you can't pull that off in real life. :D

SoCal50Lover
08-25-2009, 11:42 PM
That Chris from MSNBC is a verbal bully. I herd like six things he took way out of context.

lioneaglegriffin
08-25-2009, 11:52 PM
That Chris from MSNBC is a verbal bully. I herd like six things he took way out of context.

i think he tries to hard to be tim russert.

zachary2287
08-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Anybody read comment #10 from the poll:

"Carrying guns in the USA actually violates Amendment 2 of the Bill of Rights."

:stupid:

PonchoTA
08-26-2009, 7:34 AM
Yeah, I saw that too! SOMEBODY needs to be calibrated!

:D

ryno066
08-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Voted...the comments gave me a headache.

You are not lying. I think i broke my brain reading them.

Maestro Pistolero
08-26-2009, 12:32 PM

-Helmke

Because everybody knows that effective sniping can be done out in the open, where everyone can see you.

Untamed1972
08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I was thinking today that I have noticed an increase in the number of businesses, like banks, malls and other places that are employing armed security guards in recent months.

Why is no one outraged about that? What is the difference between an armed citizen and an armed security guard?

Although about the time I started seeing armed guards at my local mall was about the time I quit going there at all. The crowd there was getting pretty shady as it was.

Glock22Fan
08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
I was thinking today that I have noticed an increase in the number of businesses, like banks, malls and other places that are employing armed security guards in recent months.

Why is no one outraged about that? What is the difference between an armed citizen and an armed security guard?

Although about the time I started seeing armed guards at my local mall was about the time I quit going there at all. The crowd there was getting pretty shady as it was.

My s-i-l is a vehement anti, and yet has armed security response to her burglary alarm. I ask her, why is it safe to have an armed minimum wage guy around that you don't know, but I can't be trusted not to blow your brains out? She has no response to that except stuttering.

bubbapug1
08-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Open carry is a great concept, but add a few beers, some testosterone, and sluggishness to protect your gun in a crowd and it could get ugly fast.

Untamed1972
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
My s-i-l is a vehement anti, and yet has armed security response to her burglary alarm. I ask her, why is it safe to have an armed minimum wage guy around that you don't know, but I can't be trusted not to blow your brains out? She has no response to that except stuttering.

My point exactly!

It also seems hypocritical of someone who is anti-gun to pay someone else to do it for them. To them....if guns are bad.....then they should be bad period.

Untamed1972
08-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Open carry is a great concept, but add a few beers, some testosterone, and sluggishness to protect your gun in a crowd and it could get ugly fast.

Which is why drinking and firearms should never be mixed. That's pretty high in the firearms safety list.

stormy_clothing
08-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I want to build a double barrel 500 dtc so that they will finally have something scarier than a 50 cal to talk about, I bet helmke couldn't even lift a 50 cal rifle with his girlieness and thats why he is mad.

He had a good point guns everywhere don't make anyone happy only because people like him have worked so hard to make them seem scary in the first place.

The GOA made some excellent statements and I will have to look at supporting them more in the coming years.

Marxman
08-26-2009, 1:10 PM
so how would they defend themselves in CQ when the guy has glock and you have sniper rifle. this isn't COD4 you can't pull that off in real life. :D

Two words: Last Stand :chris:

WatchMan
08-26-2009, 1:13 PM
Agree, comments display the true ignorance of many people.

Yeah, ignorance, lack of common sense, these can explain a fraction of what you read, but a good portion of it is people merely blinded by their hatred.

Glock22Fan
08-26-2009, 1:18 PM

My first point is that I hope open carriers are using retention holsters, in which case some of your fears are no longer a problem.

If you are worried about the carrier's alcoholic, testosterone and sluggish status then I would agree with you except that it is the same for CCW and this is the main argument used by anti's "I don't trust you to behave responsible when carrying a gun."

And if it is the people around that worries you, then surely a responsible gun owner will extract him or herself from ugly situations, hopefully before needing to draw a weapon.

Glock22Fan
08-26-2009, 1:20 PM
My point exactly!

It also seems hypocritical of someone who is anti-gun to pay someone else to do it for them. To them....if guns are bad.....then they should be bad period.

I have exactly the same attitude to meat eaters who castigate hunters.

Blackhawk556
08-26-2009, 2:30 PM
I have exactly the same attitude to meat eaters who castigate hunters.

my sister always calls me a "killer" even though I've never hunted, just because i watch hunting showing shows she says that. i always tell her, "well what about you, you eat from animals that were killed one way or another"

Sam .223
08-26-2009, 3:11 PM
its amazing to see how many people are willing to set aside their rights to be politically correct.

dantodd
08-26-2009, 3:14 PM

Hope you're a good shot, might have trouble obtaining target.

Glock22Fan
08-26-2009, 4:01 PM
Hope you're a good shot, might have trouble obtaining target.

:43:

PonchoTA
08-26-2009, 4:15 PM
my sister always calls me a "killer" even though I've never hunted, just because i watch hunting showing shows she says that. i always tell her, "well what about you, you eat from animals that were killed one way or another"

Real ad:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/fail-owned-meat-origin-fail.jpg?w=500&h=266

:rofl:

Scratch705
08-26-2009, 4:22 PM
Anybody read comment #10 from the poll:

"Carrying guns in the USA actually violates Amendment 2 of the Bill of Rights."

:stupid:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rofl2::rofl2: that person is an idiot

KylaGWolf
08-26-2009, 9:42 PM
I voted! As to comment number 10 quick someone send it back to romper room where it belongs. But I bet that would be the first person that would stand there and go but I thought the police were here to protect me when something goes wrong and they don't get there in time.