PDA

View Full Version : News 10 interviews Sacramento Gun Store customers regarding CCW

DSeifert
08-25-2009, 5:20 PM
I heard that a Sacramento News 10 reporter was interviewing customers at Sacramento's newest gun store, Just Guns :thumbsup: , regarding CCW issues. I'm not sure if this will be shown at 6 or 11. Keep an eye out for how News 10 (an ABC affiliate) presents the topic. Wonder if this stemming from Sykes?

Blackhawk556
08-25-2009, 5:36 PM
will they show this on their website? i don't live in Sac so just wondering

PolishMike
08-25-2009, 5:37 PM
Oh boy... this almost always turns out bad. They are experts at making you sound like a complete retard.

It will help our cause a LOT more if everyone just shut the **** up.

DSeifert
08-25-2009, 5:38 PM
will they show this on their website? i don't live in Sac so just wondering

Don't know ... currently it is not on their site. I will try to check on site and if posted, I will try to provide a link.

jb7706
08-25-2009, 5:49 PM
If I catch the video on my Tivo I'll attempt to post it.

jb7706
08-25-2009, 6:16 PM
Just aired the interview. Not horrible for us but could have been better. JM's remarks were...interesting.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cIAMsqBQGLM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cIAMsqBQGLM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sorry took so long to get it posted, had to help get the kids fed, bathed and in bed. Priorities.

Mstrty
08-25-2009, 6:55 PM
Calguns Has a CCW area to discuss this sort of thing. 2A area not the best place for this. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179

Shotgun Man
08-25-2009, 6:59 PM
Calguns Has a CCW area to discuss this sort of thing. 2A area not the best place for this. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179

Beg to differ. It sounds interesting. I eagerly await the video. It is 2A related. I wouldn't come across it in the CCW forum because I rarely go there.

Mstrty
08-25-2009, 7:12 PM
Beg to differ. It sounds interesting. I eagerly await the video. It is 2A related. I wouldn't come across it in the CCW forum because I rarely go there.

I often visit the Handgun thread to read up on shotguns due to the fact I visit that one more :confused:

postal
08-25-2009, 7:20 PM
bomb...

Did you know there is a case about CCW coming up real soon? And the current Sherriffs race up there has a lot of CCW exposure because of the court case?

Did you know this sub forum you're in is 2nd amendment POLITICS AND LAWS

The news doing a report on CCW is because of POLITICS AND LAWS So yeah- it belongs here.

DSeifert
08-25-2009, 7:30 PM
I missed the news segment while I was at my daughter's soccer practice. If anyone (jb7706) TIVO'd it and can post it I would love to see it. Here is a link http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=65827&catid=2to News 10's story, but unfortunately no video on their site yet.

Mstrty
08-25-2009, 7:34 PM
bomb...

Did you know there is a case about CCW coming up real soon? And the current Sherriffs race up there has a lot of CCW exposure because of the court case?

Did you know this sub forum you're in is 2nd amendment POLITICS AND LAWS

The news doing a report on CCW is because of POLITICS AND LAWS So yeah- it belongs here.

Ok Ill let you guys have at it. and Yes I am quite aware of all the legal issues facing our state. I attended both the last Public Safety Committee meetings at the State Capital regarding AB357 and SB962. I missed you there you should have introduced yourself. :) If we had more voices there it might not be such an issue here. :rolleyes:

Glock22Fan
08-25-2009, 7:59 PM
snip
I attended both the last Public Safety Committee meetings at the State Capital regarding AB357 and SB962. I missed you there you should have introduced yourself. :) If we had more voices there it might not be such an issue here. :rolleyes:

Bully for you. It may be surprising, but some of us do other things, or did one of your bombs make you so high and mighty?

And yes, I agree this belongs here as much as anywhere.

Southwest Chuck
08-25-2009, 8:24 PM
I missed the news segment while I was at my daughter's soccer practice. If anyone (jb7706) TIVO'd it and can post it I would love to see it. Here is a link http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=65827&catid=2to News 10's story, but unfortunately no video on their site yet.

Here's the link to the video clip:

http://www.news10.net/video/default.aspx?maven_playerId=articleplayer&maven_referralPlaylistId=playlist&maven_referralObject=1226758453

hoffmang
08-25-2009, 8:26 PM
They wanted to interview Ms Sykes but she is out of town due to a family emergency, so yes, this was Sykes related.

-Gene

thebronze
08-25-2009, 9:03 PM
Rebecca Gonzales sure had a decent pair of .38s that she was sporting!

postal
08-25-2009, 9:13 PM
I attended both the last Public Safety Committee meetings at the State Capital regarding AB357 and SB962. I missed you there you should have introduced yourself. :) If we had more voices there it might not be such an issue here. :rolleyes:

Over 500 miles away from me.

Glad you attended but I can do without the "holier than thow" attitude...:rolleyes:

jb7706
08-25-2009, 10:27 PM
FWIW I spoke to a Sac SO Deputy tonight. I was providing him some evidence I found in front of my house (bullet) related to a drive by shooting that happened early Monday morning, I didn't think I lived in that kind of area until yesterday. Apparently my next door neighbors don't play well with others.

It took Sac SO 30+ minutes to respond to the 7 gunshots fired at an occupied house near Calvine and Waterman. Deputy explained that there are 3 officers on duty at any one time for the entire East patrol district. This area goes from Highway 50 south to Calvine, Watt east to Sunrise, roughly.

The deputy was hoping we could get more CCW in the field, seems to think there are not enough cops to handle the crime we have. He took the bullet from me, and I think he might have said a silent prayer for me and my family. If he did I appreciate it, from the looks of it I will need all the help I can get. It will not be coming from the SO in time to do any good.

Seesm
08-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I think this is a good thing.... It did not seem bad to me. More guns in good peoples hand will only mean 1 thing.... LESS CRIME.

jb7706
08-25-2009, 11:50 PM
It did not seem bad to me. More guns in good peoples hand will only mean 1 thing.... LESS CRIME.

Do you think it is interesting that they took the interview from a guy who plants the suggestion that gun owners are hapless idiots who will "shoot themselves in the leg and go to prison." I have no idea who else they interviewed or what they had to say, but it's hard to believe that there were not other more friendly remarks to have chosen to support our side. Then again they could have chosen a mouth breathing total moron to broadcast too... Could have been better, could have been worse.

jb7706
08-25-2009, 11:55 PM
They wanted to interview Ms Sykes but she is out of town due to a family emergency, so yes, this was Sykes related.

We are not going to change our policy, but we will issue more CCW. They are not directly attempting to moot the suit, so what is the angle here? I find it hard to buy that the county has suddenly seen the light and feels bad for we unprotected citizens.

Are we helping or hurting the cause to apply now?

Merle
08-26-2009, 12:43 AM
It took Sac SO 30+ minutes to respond to the 7 gunshots fired at an occupied house near Calvine and Waterman. Deputy explained that there are 3 officers on duty at any one time for the entire East patrol district. This area goes from Highway 50 south to Calvine, Watt east to Sunrise, roughly.

That's funny, as there is a sheriff's station due south of there. The apartment complex (Churchill Downs) is a "bad" area. Multiple vehicle breakins, knife fights in the nearby park, street racing, etc.

And for some strange reason, a lot of accidents as folks try to speed around the corner from Calvine to soutbound Waterman and wind up taking out the trees and shrubs.

thatrogue
08-26-2009, 2:12 AM
I lived down by from the time I was in 4th grade intill about two years ago, what ruined that area comes down to the increase in rental properties during the housing boom, it brought in a lot of non sense. Elk grove and Calvin used to be a safe area now it's just as bad as the rest of Sacramento, that why I moved up here to placer county/Roseville ... it's 4 times less the crime rate than the state average, and Sacramento county is what 3 or 4 times higher???

What a joke on JM part, he kinda admitted that denials where arbitrary hun?

jhaselton
08-26-2009, 3:49 AM
Too bad less officers on duty and more crime aren't "good cause"

I think the Sheriff is spreading :fud:

postal16
08-26-2009, 9:00 AM
CCWs are on the forefront here in the Sacramento area due to the upcoming El Dorado County Sheriffs race that has put the current El Dorado County CCW policy on the forefront.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/story/2133266.html

There was a op ed piece in the Bee today:

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/story/2138809.html

Also, the Sac Sheriff has "threatened" to be more liberal in issuing CCWs as a result of the cuts he is taking...the intitial threat resulted in the County finding money to reduce the proposed cuts by 50% and that is the last I heard of that.

drutledge79
08-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Smells like utter horse **** to me. That probably means it's politically motivated on the part of the sheriff. Hmm, let's see: "the regulations/training to get a permit aren't going to change at all but we're going to issue more"...?

I don't think it is possible for someone fluent in double-speak to say more explicitly that CCW permit issuance is completely arbitrary... Arbitrary *and* completely at his discretion (aka "whim"). Sounds like straight-up power-posturing -- fund me or I'm telling the gun-hating voters that the gov is forcing me to let the crazies loose with guns and the streets will run red with the blood of children (and puppies). Bah.

I can't wait till this crap is in the past. In fact, I'm gonna donate to CGF right now to take the edge off of anger...

lead chucker
08-26-2009, 10:34 AM
CCWs are on the forefront here in the Sacramento area due to the upcoming El Dorado County Sheriffs race that has put the current El Dorado County CCW policy on the forefront.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/story/2133266.html

There was a op ed piece in the Bee today:

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/story/2138809.html

Also, the Sac Sheriff has "threatened" to be more liberal in issuing CCWs as a result of the cuts he is taking...the intitial threat resulted in the County finding money to reduce the proposed cuts by 50% and that is the last I heard of that.

Yes, looks like it's going to be an important issue... I hope it turns out well!

stormy_clothing
08-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Why would a police chief want people to have personal protection, that means less crime, less officers, less power. duh

kalguns
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Bully for you. It may be surprising, but some of us do other things, or did one of your bombs make you so high and mighty?

And yes, I agree this belongs here as much as anywhere.

:rofl2::rofl2:

Greg-Dawg
08-26-2009, 12:28 PM
"Proper training"...check.

"Good cause"...FAIL.

Untamed1972
08-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I get so tired of hearing all those same, lame arguements, because the statistics simply don't support the claims of CCW holders acting irresponsibly.

Funny to think that you can't buy a handgun till you're 21, you can't own one unless you're 18, but you can own and drive a car in CA when you're 16. And how many 16yo do plenty of stupid stuff in a car and get in trouble yet you don't see anyone campaigning to get that changed do you?

On the training issue....I do think it's a good idea....but I wish they'd stop comparing to the police. Because the fact of the matter is that the publics perception of just how "well trained" the police are when it comes to firearms is wholly inaccurate. The total of firearms training police get in the academy is about equivelant to about 1 week of training. And some of those people have never fired a gun before the academy. So they could graduate and be out on the street with a total of about 1 week of firearms training.

sixtringr
08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Don't belive the Sac Sherrif. He always threatens to his Board of supervisors about CCW. He has been doing it for years. The man has potentialy killed more kids with his pencil than wepons will this year because his 10 million dollar budget mistake that Sac County had to just cover. It meant taking the money away from Child Protective Services.:mad:

formerTexan
08-26-2009, 2:27 PM
Re: training
There's a range that I go to where ALL "incidents" involved police personnel. The range has been in existence since the 1940s.

jb7706
08-26-2009, 4:44 PM
While the Sheriff has been saying this for months, in mulitple venues- there has been zero change to their CCW policy.

Smells like utter horse **** to me.

Don't belive the Sac Sherrif. He always threatens to his Board of supervisors about CCW.

I would completely agree with all of you were it not for this:

-Gene

JM may actually be ready to open the tap a bit, I just have not been able to see the connection between Sykes and more CCW yet. Then I am not quite the chess player that Gene and others are.

nick
08-26-2009, 4:49 PM
Pity Sykes doesn't directly target no-issue-unless-you-bribe-Lee-Baca Los Angeles County...

dantodd
08-26-2009, 4:54 PM
JM may actually be ready to open the tap a bit, I just have not been able to see the connection between Sykes and more CCW yet. Then I am not quite the chess player that Gene and others are.

no chess required. If they can find a way to get Sykes et. al. permitted they will claim loss of standing and try to get the suit dismissed. This would keep their grubby little hands on the reins of CCW permit issuance. However; SAF and CGF would never accept issuance of CCWs to the aggrieved parties and allow a dismissal. This is why they are trying to get SAF and CGF removed from the suit by challenging their standing. (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/sykes/gov.uscourts.caed.191626.28.1.pdf) If they are successful at doing that and then issue to the individual plaintiffs they believe the suit will go away. (It won't work, but that appears to be their current strategy.)

jb7706
08-26-2009, 9:05 PM
no chess required. If they can find a way to get Sykes et. al. permitted they will claim loss of standing and try to get the suit dismissed. ...
If they are successful at doing that and then issue to the individual plaintiffs they believe the suit will go away. (It won't work, but that appears to be their current strategy.)

Thanks for breaking it down for the dumb guy.

hoffmang
08-26-2009, 11:42 PM
(It won't work, but that appears to be their current strategy.)

I've quite a bit of experience being deposed and Calguns Foundation has many donors from Sacramento and Yolo County that have no good cause as those Sheriffs define it...

:43:

-Gene

locosway
08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
And so it begins...

hoffmang
08-27-2009, 12:10 AM
And so it begins...

Thanks. However I'd like to point out, we've been working on this for a couple of years.

-Gene

Gray Peterson
08-27-2009, 12:15 AM
no chess required. If they can find a way to get Sykes et. al. permitted they will claim loss of standing and try to get the suit dismissed. This would keep their grubby little hands on the reins of CCW permit issuance. However; SAF and CGF would never accept issuance of CCWs to the aggrieved parties and allow a dismissal. This is why they are trying to get SAF and CGF removed from the suit by challenging their standing. (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/sykes/gov.uscourts.caed.191626.28.1.pdf) If they are successful at doing that and then issue to the individual plaintiffs they believe the suit will go away. (It won't work, but that appears to be their current strategy.)

They can only issue the license from an application made. They can't just issue the license to them without an application, and even if they successfully did (for self defense), Guillory v. Gates would mandate that anyone who applies for that reason must be issued too.

Besides, even if CGF and SAF is removed from the suit, CGF/SAF still hired the lawyer and is funding the case. Matters entirely bupkis at this point.

locosway
08-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks. However I'd like to point out, we've been working on this for a couple of years.

-Gene

I understand that, however revolutions aren't counted from the time of their first start. They're only counted from the time they're first noticed in the publics eye.

I'm glad to see change coming about. I'll be even more excited once we have some 2A incorporation so we can tackle LOC.

Gray Peterson
08-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Pity Sykes doesn't directly target no-issue-unless-you-bribe-Lee-Baca Los Angeles County...

Funny you should say that. Eastern District of California is the best place to file. Since LA is southern district, I believe, not friendly to us. Prediction: Lee Baca will have to issue CCW's for self defense by the end of 2010. A win in Sacto is a win statewide. Even Sheriff Hennessey in San Francisco, mr "We don't issue permits period at all, go to SFPD" will have to start issuing.

Theseus
08-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Duh. . . wrong thread.

So, the sheriff goes on TV to say that he is going to issue more CCW's, but that he will not change policy. . .

If he isn't changing policy, but will issue more CCW's, then he seems to be admitting that there were applications that could have and likely should have been approved but weren't because of his "discretion".

IIRC that is exactly what the case against him is about, isn't it?

And who was the shop owner talking about? Seems he was confused by the bright lights and cameras.

dantodd
08-27-2009, 7:54 AM
They can only issue the license from an application made. They can't just issue the license to them without an application, and even if they successfully did (for self defense), Guillory v. Gates would mandate that anyone who applies for that reason must be issued too.

Besides, even if CGF and SAF is removed from the suit, CGF/SAF still hired the lawyer and is funding the case. Matters entirely bupkis at this point.

I assume you are merely expounding upon the parenthetical final sentence in my post.