PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Big 5 Mosin Nagant

Brown Rock
08-25-2009, 1:04 PM
Well it looks like I will be buying one of those $99 Mosin Nagants. Hopefully Big 5 still has them in stock tomorrow. Anyway my question is, do I need to bring a lock with me tomorrow when doing the paper work? Or do I wait til after the 11 days, when I pick it up? Just want to be prepared. Thanks guys.:)

timdps
08-25-2009, 1:58 PM
The only lock that does you any good is one you have bought within the last 30 days and have a receipt for. You will probably be buying a lock and that normally happens when you first purchase/DROS the gun.

tim

Crusader
08-25-2009, 2:04 PM
Big5 does honor the Safe Affidavit Form. So if you have a lockable gun safe, you do not need to purchase a cable lock.

glennsche
08-25-2009, 2:04 PM
The only lock that does you any good is one you have bought within the last 30 days and have a receipt for. You will probably be buying a lock and that normally happens when you first purchase/DROS the gun.

tim

this is what happened with me as well. however, if you have a safe and can identify the make/model you dont need one.

the only thing my trigger lock has been good for is for recocking mauser bolts. heh.

Brown Rock
08-25-2009, 3:19 PM

tim

Crap I just bought a trigger lock last month on July 12.:( So I must have it tomorrow when I go in there to do the paper work? Damn. Guess I will have to make a stop at Wallyworld and get one of those $5 locks. That is a stupid *** law.:mad:

socomIInato
08-25-2009, 3:43 PM
more money

paul0660
08-25-2009, 3:51 PM
You ought to have a safe, or a locking cabinet at least. It is part of the deal, like shooting glasses, earplugs, ammo, gun case, etc. Guns cost a lot more than the Big 5 sale price.

timdps
08-25-2009, 4:06 PM
Crap I just bought a trigger lock last month on July 12.:( So I must have it tomorrow when I go in there to do the paper work? Damn. Guess I will have to make a stop at Wallyworld and get one of those $5 locks. That is a stupid *** law.:mad:

Buy the Wally world lock, use it to get the gun out of hock and then return the lock...

I like what PRK in Fresno is doing: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=210865

tim

EBR Works
08-25-2009, 4:24 PM
Before I had a safe, I would just buy a lock at Big5 when I pickup the weapon, walk out to my car and put the rifle in my trunk. I would immediately walk back into the store and get a refund on the lock. Easy and legal.

Brown Rock
08-25-2009, 6:53 PM
You ought to have a safe, or a locking cabinet at least. It is part of the deal, like shooting glasses, earplugs, ammo, gun case, etc. Guns cost a lot more than the Big 5 sale price.

I do have a lockable case for my Sigma though and no kids in the house. Still I know that case won't keep my gun from being stolen. Guess I like working *** backwards.:laugh:

snobord99
08-25-2009, 8:35 PM
I just paid for one less than an hour ago. I believe a 1925 Izhevsk based on the barrel markings.

Was able to use the 10% off coupon too :D. Now for 10 day jail.

Alexjr1967
08-26-2009, 9:10 AM
I just paid for one less than an hour ago. I believe a 1925 Izhevsk based on the barrel markings.

How did you mange this one? Glad you got to use it ... just let us know what we need to do to use one

snobord99
08-26-2009, 11:02 AM
How did you mange this one? Glad you got to use it ... just let us know what we need to do to use one

Just go to the Big5 website and sign up for their "E-Team" (aka, junk mail) and they email you a printable coupon for 10% off any transaction. It says no firearms on it, but they let me use it and didn't even mention the firearm exclusion. Even the $25 DROS was discounted :D.

5hundo
08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Perhaps a better solution would be to buy from someone on here, or from another Private party, or 03 FFL.

No locks are required and no 10 day wait...

Plus, if you buy from Big 5, your receiver will be all Jacked up with those CAI registration numbers. Also, I've yet to see a hex receiver at Big 5 and I personally find those to be much cooler... ;)

Alexjr1967
08-26-2009, 11:38 AM
My 91/30 i picked up from big 5 was a hex receiver all matching #'s dated 1925

Mr Wizard
08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I just ordered a 91/30 from AIM Surplus yesterday. I should arrive with cleaning rod, bayonet, and field kit for $79.00. With shipping it came out to an even $100.00 and no DROS or tax. Yippee....
The one I ordered (sight unseen) from Big 5 was so fugly, I bubba'd it up real quick.

snobord99
08-26-2009, 11:54 AM
My 91/30 i picked up from big 5 was a hex receiver all matching #'s dated 1925

Mine too. Except I don't know if the buttplate is matching. I didn't know to look there when I went to pay for it.

GoodEyeSniper
08-26-2009, 3:14 PM
aha just walked into my local gun store and they had a 91/30(I think?) finish looked good, quick look at the bore looked good, gonna look closer tomorrow after work when I'm not in a hurry. Comes with sling and bayonet, maybe cleaning rod I didn't notice, for $92, which is better than I've seen anywhere else lately.

It was the super long one, that's a 91/30 right? They also had some japanese 30-06 that looked pretty nice, not sure what it was, the lady just called it a "jap". I'll probably pick up the mosin tomorrow, didn't check numbers or anything like that because I don't know what I'm looking for.

Scratch705
08-26-2009, 3:24 PM
the "jap" is probably an ariska that may have been bored out to accept a different round than the original 7.7 the japanese used

GoodEyeSniper
08-26-2009, 3:33 PM
ah, okay, I was thinking something like that. They also had another "jap" that was a 7.7 that wasn't as nice looking, so that's probably it.

SixPointEight
08-26-2009, 6:15 PM
I snagged mine at big5 yesterday too lol. 10day jail time gives me plenty of time to assemble my cleaning supplies(a lot lol). My barrel liked good, and the chamber didn't look to have any pitting. The numbers looked like they all matched, but the stamping on the receiver didn't look very well pronounced. Pretty sure it's the hammer/sickle and wreath though. I forgot the year. I'll take an excessive number of pictures while cleaning it.

glennsche
08-26-2009, 6:25 PM
aha just walked into my local gun store and they had a 91/30(I think?) finish looked good, quick look at the bore looked good, gonna look closer tomorrow after work when I'm not in a hurry. Comes with sling and bayonet, maybe cleaning rod I didn't notice, for $92, which is better than I've seen anywhere else lately.

It was the super long one, that's a 91/30 right? They also had some japanese 30-06 that looked pretty nice, not sure what it was, the lady just called it a "jap". I'll probably pick up the mosin tomorrow, didn't check numbers or anything like that because I don't know what I'm looking for.

if it was super long, russian, and under 100bucks, it could only be the mosin nagant 91/30. :)

they made 37million of them, so there are plenty of em out there. if its a hex vs. round receiver, its a tiny bit more valuable, but other than that, its basically just a fun shooter.

get to know this site well:

http://7.62x54r.net/

GoodEyeSniper
08-27-2009, 7:13 PM
So I purchased that 91/30 today. Only thing is one of the bands holding on the handguard/stock area to the barrel(the forward most band) is a little tweaked. It looked like it might be salvageable. But you can get replacement ones right? I think I'm gonna order some if I can, not sure where to look.

onecrazyfoo4u
08-27-2009, 7:44 PM
So I purchased that 91/30 today. Only thing is one of the bands holding on the handguard/stock area to the barrel(the forward most band) is a little tweaked. It looked like it might be salvageable. But you can get replacement ones right? I think I'm gonna order some if I can, not sure where to look.

Look on ebay, just search Mosin Nagant, they have tons of cheap replacement parts!

Brown Rock
08-27-2009, 8:03 PM
I got one today from a local calguner. At the same time though, I flaked on another (both members responded to my WTB thread) calguner.:( Told the guy last night I would drive up to Riverside and buy his rifle on Friday. When I woke up this morning, I found a pm from a local calguner. He told me he had a m44 for sale, so I bought it instead. I'm such a dickhead for doing that I know. All I can do is apologize and promise that it will never happen again. You guys can read the details on my itrader rating.

joefrank64k
08-28-2009, 10:04 PM

Numrich has the parts pretty cheap, too. If you have an 03 FFL, they'll give you a small additional discount...

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1920z91/30

Scratch705
08-28-2009, 10:09 PM
I got one today from a local calguner. At the same time though, I flaked on another (both members responded to my WTB thread) calguner.:( Told the guy last night I would drive up to Riverside and buy his rifle on Friday. When I woke up this morning, I found a pm from a local calguner. He told me he had a m44 for sale, so I bought it instead. I'm such a dickhead for doing that I know. All I can do is apologize and promise that it will never happen again. You guys can read the details on my itrader rating.

well that sucks.... btw that guy linked a PM... which no one can see except him for his link... heh

cousinkix1953
08-29-2009, 2:49 AM

The Koreans rechambered a lot of type 99 Arisaka rifles to .30/06 after WW2. If the rifle is sporterized the work was probably done by a gunsmith here in the good old USA...

GoodEyeSniper
08-29-2009, 6:56 PM
wait, to replace the barrel bands do I have to have any special tools and do a complete tear down? I noticed a picture saying the bands won't slide off because of the front sight.

Also, probably a dumb question but I've only ever owned one firearm, a .40 pistol. What's the importance of the "caliber" of cleaning patches? Mine are rated what I think is too large for a 7.62 barrel....

Mssr. Eleganté
08-29-2009, 7:17 PM
wait, to replace the barrel bands do I have to have any special tools and do a complete tear down? I noticed a picture saying the bands won't slide off because of the front sight.

You can drift the front sight off with a hammer and brass punch. Then the bands will slide right off the end of the barrel. If the windage is already where you like it and you don't want to have to go through sighting it in again then be sure to mark the location of the front sight in the dovetail before you start.

Also, probably a dumb question but I've only ever owned one firearm, a .40 pistol. What's the importance of the "caliber" of cleaning patches? Mine are rated what I think is too large for a 7.62 barrel....

If they are too large then you can always just trim them down a bit. I just buy the 3 inch patches now (12 gauge or 45ACP) and trim them down to whatever gun I'm cleaning at the time. Depending on what gun you are cleaning you might find that some sizes will work better folded over while others need to be trimmed. You'll also find that if you change the type of attachment on the end of your cleaning rod (jag or loop) you might need a different sized patch. If you cut a stack of them at a time then it isn't too much hassle and you get the exact size you need for each gun and/or cleaning tool combination.

Flogger23m
08-30-2009, 1:03 PM

Wait, what 10% coupon? I just bought one yesterday for $100.

What is the 10% coupon did it work in addition to the sale price?

Edit: Nevermind, read it bit further. I will try that next time.

KevinXT
08-31-2009, 10:37 AM
i just picked up a hex reciever 1934 m91/30 the other day aswell.. went to 2 different big 5 stores and they both had hex and rounded and a few to choose from so had a good selection to pick from :D

seems like alot of people have these or are picking them up ... we should have a big mosin nagant shoot :cool:

socomIInato
08-31-2009, 11:14 AM
got a hex 1930 waiting for me:D

KRS Juan
09-01-2009, 10:47 AM
My local Big5 (culver city) sucks. They have one 91/30 in sad condition and want $179 for it. I asked the manager to look up any sale prices and mentioned that other locations had them for $99, she wouldn't budge. My M44 needs friends.

KevinXT
09-01-2009, 10:53 AM
bummer dude.. there are 3 big 5s within 15min of my house (south riverside county) all of them had like at 2-3 and hex and round to choose from.....

snobord99
09-01-2009, 4:20 PM
My local Big5 (culver city) sucks. They have one 91/30 in sad condition and want $179 for it. I asked the manager to look up any sale prices and mentioned that other locations had them for $99, she wouldn't budge. My M44 needs friends.

When did you check? $99 was a sale price and I think it was only on sale until Saturday (8/30). If you didn't go until today or yesterday, that may explain why it was $179.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-01-2009, 4:24 PM

Your word means nothing, ergo your promise is just as empty as you saying you'll take it. That was a dick move.

snobord99
09-01-2009, 4:41 PM
Your word means nothing, ergo your promise is just as empty as you saying you'll take it. That was a dick move.

Agreed. If you're not willing to make the drive, don't say you'll take it. If you want something else, don't say you'll take it. If you're not sure if you want it, don't say you'll take it. If you say you'll take it, then take it.

Brown Rock
09-01-2009, 9:09 PM
Yes it was a dick move. Lesson learned.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-01-2009, 9:25 PM

To be fair, you should check out the feedback of the guy he flaked on. BIGGER FLAKE! Looks like there was a 50% chance that the seller would have flaked on him after he drove all the way up there. :p