PDA

View Full Version : Camping at Lopez Lake this weekend, can I open Carry?

strangerdude
08-25-2009, 1:10 PM
Bears are common here, just wondering If I can open carry? I don't know what a .40 can do to a bear but I want some level of security since my family, including children will be there. The county Is San Luis Obispo, link of camping grounds Is below. Also what documents should I carry?http://www.slocountyparks.com/activities/lopez.htm

cineski
08-25-2009, 1:31 PM
WTF, Kid? This is about carrying in the woods for actual protection, not carrying in a city for political statements. Long Beach, call the ranger office and ask them. They're the ones enforcing the laws.

Decoligny
08-25-2009, 1:43 PM
LONGBEACH - Looks like you can Open Carry, but only UOC.

SLO County Code makes all public places in unincorporated SLO County a "prohibited area" for PC 12031.

7.35.030 Prohibited areas.

Except as otherwise provided in this title and by statute of the state of California, it shall be unlawful for any person to shoot, fire or discharge or to permit or cause to be shot, fired or discharged a firearm on or into highways and other public places within the unincorporated area of San Luis Obispo County. (Ord. 2327 1 (part), 1987)

strangerdude
08-25-2009, 1:46 PM
Looks like you can Open Carry, but only UOC.

SLO County Code makes all public places in unincorporated SLO County a "prohibited area" for PC 12031.

7.35.030 Prohibited areas.

Except as otherwise provided in this title and by statute of the state of California, it shall be unlawful for any person to shoot, fire or discharge or to permit or cause to be shot, fired or discharged a firearm on or into highways and other public places within the unincorporated area of San Luis Obispo County. (Ord. 2327 1 (part), 1987)

Sweet, thanks! Do you have a link to this law? I would like to print It so I can also carry just incase.

Decoligny
08-25-2009, 1:47 PM
Sweet, thanks! Do you have a link to this law? I would like to print It so I can also carry just incase.

http://services.sloclerkrecorder.org/code/countycode.cfm

Here is the whole code. The Public Peace, Safety & Morals section is where I found the answer.

strangerdude
08-25-2009, 1:57 PM
Thank you:gunsmilie:

Californio
08-25-2009, 2:11 PM
Have you been to Lopez?

It is a Family Park with kids running around all over the place, water slide area and lake.

I bet they ask you to leave.

strangerdude
08-25-2009, 2:13 PM
Have you been to Lopez?

It is a Family Park with kids running around all over the place, water slide area and lake.

I bet they ask you to leave.

I'm going to a more secluded area, I mainly want It for when I go hiking. Can't make me go anywhere If It's legal.

coolusername2007
08-25-2009, 4:44 PM
WTF, Kid? This is about carrying in the woods for actual protection, not carrying in a city for political statements. Long Beach, call the ranger office and ask them. They're the ones enforcing the laws.

Funny, I would have said the exact opposite. OC'ing in the woods for political statements (because nobody is listening anyway), and OC'ing in the city for actual protection...where it really matters. ;)

strangerdude
08-25-2009, 4:51 PM
Funny, I would have said the exact opposite. OC'ing in the woods for political statements (because nobody is listening anyway), and OC'ing in the city for actual protection...where it really matters. ;)

LOL, so true. Even If the UOC people do not have a calvary to back them, I say do it anyway's. What's the purpose of having a right If you're not going to exercise It?

Decoligny
08-25-2009, 6:47 PM
LOL, so true. Even If the UOC people do not have a calvary to back them, I say do it anyway's. What's the purpose of having a right If you're not going to exercise It?

Being a Christian and a minister, I have calvary backing me.

The cavalry on the other hand almost never rides over the hill when you really need them.

strangerdude
08-25-2009, 6:49 PM
Being a Christian and a minister, I have calvary backing me.

The cavalry on the other hand almost never rides over the hill when you really need them.

so true

onikage
08-25-2009, 7:13 PM
Let us know how this goes if you do actually carry out there.

strangerdude
08-25-2009, 7:21 PM
Let us know how this goes if you do actually carry out there.

sure will, and I do plan on UOC.

cal3gunner
08-25-2009, 7:43 PM
When I was in high school. I was in a sinking boat in Lopez lake. We beached the boat right in front of a ranger. The driver of the boat stood up, pulled out a loaded revolver from under his shirt, handed it to me and jumped in the water to put the plug in the boat. The ranger saw this, asked if we were OK? We said yes. It was after sunset and we were losing light fast. He told us that we needed to be running lights on the boat to drive at night, which we weren't. We said we were going to the back campground and he said, ok have a good night.

Don't pose a threat, and it probably won't be a problem.

Did you know there is a campground in the back of the lake in one of the fingers that you can only get to by boat? You have to reserve it before going, but its nice and secluded.

I'm not saying to do anything illegal, but if you want to carry a gun unloaded while hiking, you might as well just carry a paper weight. If you encounter a mountain lion, its going to hit you from behind and have its teeth in your head before you know whats going on. If you see a bear, its going to run away. If it does decide to attack because it has cubs, its going to be soo fast that you won't have time to load.

There was a girl hit by a mountain lion a couple years ago up by Lopez. Her boyfriend beat the cat off with a stick. The girl lost her eye if I remember correctly. This would be an OK time to be unloaded carrying, but if the guy got hit first, it wouldn't have.

If it was me, I wouldn't UOC at lopez anywhere around the campgrounds or people, but if I was on a secluded trail, I would load it up.

A big fixed blade knife is much more PC than a unloaded gun. And there has been incidents where hunters fought off kodiac bears in Alaska with knife after the bear got on top of him.

Shotgun Man
08-25-2009, 7:55 PM
A big fixed blade knife is much more PC than a unloaded gun. And there has been incidents where hunters fought off kodiac bears in Alaska with knife after the bear got on top of him.

Good post, but I didn't get the part about a fixed blade knife. I can walk around with an exposed machete in CA. As long as I'm not "brandishing" it, I'm fine.

Any local ordinances are preempted by a case which escapes me now.

cal3gunner
08-25-2009, 8:04 PM
I guess what I was saying, if you really need to arm yourself while in the campground area, strap on a knife instead of an unloaded gun. It would be more effective to stab a mountain lion on your back than to smack it with an unloaded gun.

I understand that many people that UOC are trying to make a statement, but if you are just trying to go camping and enjoy yourself with out being confronted by local LEOs or park rangers, carry a knife while around people, and carry a loaded gun when out hiking away from people

CSACANNONEER
08-25-2009, 8:15 PM
A .40 for bear???? LOL!!!!! Remember what the old Alaskan guides tell you to do if you want to carry a .357 for bear? They tell you to shave the front sight down so that it doesn't hurt so much when the bear tke it from you and shoves it up..........well, you get the picture. I thought that the campgrounds at the lake were a private concession? If they are, I bet that you won't be too welcome if you are open carrying. Oh, don't worry about the bears around there. I sat for an hour and watched one put on a show years ago between High Mountain and Pozo. He was less than 30 yards away and just kept playing in and around a tree. I have pictures to prove that bears do s%$# in the woods! Somewhere, I also have a picture that is almost identical to the picture that is/was hanging in the Pozo USFS station for years. I watched the female USFS employee take it. Anyway, don't live in fear of the little bears around there, have fun and don't forget to shave off your front site before you get there.

Decoligny
08-26-2009, 8:11 AM
OK Folks, this is where the importance of researching the ordinances for yourselves comes into play.

DO NOT TAKE ANYONES WORD ON ANYTHING.

I took about a minute and a half the other day to do a quick search of the SLO ordinances. Looked like UOC was OK.

I am not even going to Lopez Lake and I have spent about another 5 minutes total time looking through the ordinances. If I was going, I would have already read the ordinances from start to finish, every line.

Looks like you might not be UOCing after all.

Chapter 11.16 LOPEZ RECREATION AREA

11.16.650 Firearms.

It is unlawful for any person within the park to bring into or possess any firearm, missile launching device or other weapon unless such firearm, missile launching device or other weapon has been declared upon entrance into the park, and unless such firearm, missile launching device or other weapon is sealed upon entrance into the park by park personnel. (Ord. 1082 1 (part), 1969: Ord. 1039 2 (part), 1969: prior code 5-022.67)

strangerdude
08-26-2009, 8:23 AM
Damn, thanks.

Army
08-26-2009, 2:20 PM
The public campground is off limits for just about anything that can project, launch or fling any object through the air.

Potato guns and tennis ball cannons were once great fun there back in the 70's. Water balloon slingshots are also banned now (due to kids having great fun targeting their friends coming down the water slides)

Camp French (Boy Scouts) has always banned firearms, and is currently questioning archery (so I've heard from good sources). A few morons with shotguns were busted not too long ago, shooting Brandts and Mallards in the south Lopez arm. They all went to jail.

The Wittenberg camping area is secluded (and very primitive), so carrying there is likely safe from prying eyes....but if you get caught, you're nailed with no excuses.

Going up Lopez Canyon past the Christian camp is also safe for carrying, as you have long left the lake property and county control, and are in Los Padres Nat. Forest proper....but there is no lake access back there (or any water for that matter, as the creek dried up back in March)

Right now, the whole Lopez area really sucks for camping. The lake is really low, the grass and brush is tinder dry, and there are far too many idiot tourists/boaters/campers.

strangerdude
08-26-2009, 2:51 PM
The public campground is off limits for just about anything that can project, launch or fling any object through the air.

Potato guns and tennis ball cannons were once great fun there back in the 70's. Water balloon slingshots are also banned now (due to kids having great fun targeting their friends coming down the water slides)

Camp French (Boy Scouts) has always banned firearms, and is currently questioning archery (so I've heard from good sources). A few morons with shotguns were busted not too long ago, shooting Brandts and Mallards in the south Lopez arm. They all went to jail.

The Wittenberg camping area is secluded (and very primitive), so carrying there is likely safe from prying eyes....but if you get caught, you're nailed with no excuses.

Going up Lopez Canyon past the Christian camp is also safe for carrying, as you have long left the lake property and county control, and are in Los Padres Nat. Forest proper....but there is no lake access back there (or any water for that matter, as the creek dried up back in March)

[B]Right now, the whole Lopez area really sucks for camping. The lake is really low, the grass and brush is tinder dry, and there are far too many idiot tourists/boaters/campers.

Great, It was my damn sister in law who chose the spot, I usually go to Kern, which I love very much. Everyone pussied out and said it's too hotat kern, which i really don't care about heat, beer and fishing in the river takes care of the heat. When she told me that they even had elctrical outlets at the campsites at Lopez I was almost out the trip but decided to still go since I have family meeting us there from northern CA.

cmonk518
08-26-2009, 2:55 PM
With so many varying local, county, state, and federal laws concerning open carry, you are best calling officials from the park or the county sheriffs dept and ask them. They are most up-to-date with current laws or changing laws and if you are ever sweated by park rangers, police, or any other agency, you will be able to say the time and date you called, who you talked to, their agency and title, badge or ID number, etc. Even if the info given to you was wrong, LEOs will be much more lenient towards you for getting it wrong. Last thing you want to tell a LEO is that you heard from a FORUM that its ok to open carry. That will be highly frowned upon...

And definitely don't complain if you get sweated alot for open carry in park grounds. No matter how much people complain or vent about how legal it is to open carry, if you do not have a badge next to your open carry holster, its going to definitely raise a few eyebrows and its understandable people might just freak out and alert authority, esp as you say, there are alot of kids around. It's just something you are going to have to put up with if you choose to open carry in southern CA.

Ford8N
08-26-2009, 5:00 PM
Right now, the whole Lopez area really sucks for camping. The lake is really low, the grass and brush is tinder dry, and there are far too many idiot tourists/boaters/campers.

Not to mention....THE FLIES:willy_nilly:

Some of the Rangers running the Park have "little man" complex, so be careful if your packing. Up in the Los Padres you can carry and shoot if you want. It's just up the road a bit.

locosway
08-27-2009, 12:42 AM
It's just a park rule, right?

If so you could just LUCC the entire time and no one would be the wiser.

strangerdude
08-27-2009, 8:17 AM
A .40 for bear???? LOL!!!!! Remember what the old Alaskan guides tell you to do if you want to carry a .357 for bear? They tell you to shave the front sight down so that it doesn't hurt so much when the bear tke it from you and shoves it up..........well, you get the picture. I thought that the campgrounds at the lake were a private concession? If they are, I bet that you won't be too welcome if you are open carrying. Oh, don't worry about the bears around there. I sat for an hour and watched one put on a show years ago between High Mountain and Pozo. He was less than 30 yards away and just kept playing in and around a tree. I have pictures to prove that bears do s%$# in the woods! Somewhere, I also have a picture that is almost identical to the picture that is/was hanging in the Pozo USFS station for years. I watched the female USFS employee take it. Anyway, don't live in fear of the little bears around there, have fun and don't forget to shave off your front site before you get there.

Gonna have to disagree with you. Here's a link describing how a ranger shot and killed the bear that mauled those two bear loving hippies in Alaska with a .40 Glock(11 rounds).

http://sleepless.blogs.com/george/2003/10/bear_killed_wit.html

locosway
08-27-2009, 8:19 AM
Just don't aim for the head. Most animals have very strong skulls, and can often be shot in the head with no apparent wounding. Often the bullet will strike the skull and travel under the skin around it.

strangerdude
08-27-2009, 8:24 AM
Just don't aim for the head. Most animals have very strong skulls, and can often be shot in the head with no apparent wounding. Often the bullet will strike the skull and travel under the skin around it.

Yes I've heard, just like alligators. I'm 99% sure I won't even see a wild animal , but sometimes bears are hungry and go to campsites for food, so better safe than sorry. Seqoia Is a different story, everytime I've gone there I've seen a bear, they even have the metal bins to store you're food.

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-27-2009, 8:33 AM

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/WiseBobo/UOCBear.jpg

strangerdude
08-27-2009, 8:35 AM
lol