PDA

View Full Version : Open carry while hiking in Big Bear Lake forests.

macentyre
08-25-2009, 12:05 PM
so here's my problem:

I live about four blocks down from a trailhead at the forest boundary. I would like to carry my weapon with me while hiking with my dogs due to the fact that there has been alot of Mtn Lion and Bobcat sightings and my neighbors dogs just almost died because they both got bit by a rattle snake right on the trail path.

I would feel alot better if I had my firearm with me just incase I found myself in that situation. I live in Big Bear Lake near the east end of town north of the airport and have to walk just that short distance to the forest....so if I put my gun in my backpack for four blocks its breaking the law because its concealed....the trailhead is at the end of my street and there is no place to park my truck so I can transport my firearm in my truck to the trailhead...what would you do in the situation?

I don't feel it necessary to drive four blocks down the street and try to find a place to park my truck just to transport my gun legally....ya know?...ridiculous!

Thanks,
mac

Untamed1972
08-25-2009, 12:09 PM
place the gun, unloaded, in a small locked container. place locked container in your backpack till you reach the trailhead.

When in a locked container it is not considered concealed.

strangerdude
08-25-2009, 12:13 PM
place the gun, unloaded, in a small locked container. place locked container in your backpack till you reach the trailhead.

does that also apply to gun locks?

curtisfong
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
does that also apply to gun locks?

IIRC it has to be fully enclosed.

That said, can you just put a small lock on the zipper of your backpack? (Real question, not rhetorical).

strangerdude
08-25-2009, 12:27 PM
IIRC it has to be fully enclosed.

That said, can you just put a small lock on the zipper of your backpack? (Real question, not rhetorical).

Would like to know also, I'm going camping and would rather do that than OC when I go hiking.

fuegoslow
08-25-2009, 12:39 PM
I think the wording states "locked container". I'm not sure of the actual wording in the code, but I or any other reasonable person could interpret a backpack with a lock on the zipper as a "locked container". Really good question.

CalNRA
08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
backpack with no holes and functioning zippers should work as a locked container with a lock.

pullnshoot25
08-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Fully enclosed and secure is the language used. Locking a backpack should be fine, just use the lower zipper holes instead of the end ones.

wildhawker
08-25-2009, 1:08 PM
Prev discussed, search LUCC, locked container.

Untamed1972
08-25-2009, 1:10 PM
The other issue you need to make sure you're in the clear on is if open carry on the trail is legal.

GuyW
08-25-2009, 3:42 PM

Fine point: its still considered concealed - its just a lawful, concealment...

Glock22Fan
08-25-2009, 3:47 PM
Although I believe there is no legal definition of what constitutes a secure container, I personally would be worried about a soft sided bag if there was any possible way that the gun could have a magazine inserted and the trigger pulled through the fabric.

liketoshoot
08-25-2009, 4:01 PM
1) you live in Big Bear City,
2) this is in San Bernardino county
3) apply for a CCW
you are most likly to get it here.

coolusername2007
08-25-2009, 4:01 PM
so here's my problem:

I live about four blocks down from a trailhead at the forest boundary. I would like to carry my weapon with me while hiking with my dogs due to the fact that there has been alot of Mtn Lion and Bobcat sightings and my neighbors dogs just almost died because they both got bit by a rattle snake right on the trail path.

...what would you do in the situation?

I would check school zones and ordinances and if legal I would UOC through the neighborhood, then (again if legal) I would LOC while on the trail. If you keep it locked up and come across any of the predators you mentioned remember one important thing...don't kneel down to the ground while fumbling through your backpack to unlock and remove your weapon...because you'll look like a tasty treat and get pounced on. Also if you come across a rattlesnake same thing...your only potential move is to very slowly back up, but if your dogs get excited and you again fumble around for your sidearm then I hope you're not alone. Plus remember this also, if you see a mtn lion or bobcat and it hesitates, it'll likely run away. The mtn lion or bobcat you don't see will be the one that'll pounce on you or your dogs in a heartbeat. Good luck getting your locked up firearm out in that scenario.

Glock22Fan
08-25-2009, 4:16 PM
The best handgun against rattlesnakes is a revolver with shotshells. If you want dual purpose, load both shotshells and hollowpoints. The rattler, if he gives you time to shoot at all, will usually give you time to rotate the shotshells into position (dogs may negate that). My friend uses a .22 from horseback for this purpose, I use either a .38 snubby or my .44. But, be careful you don't start a fire firing a shotshell down into dry grass or other tinder.

Best of all, back off and go around him.

macentyre
08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
yeah....i appreciate your advise guys! to turn around and walk the other direction is probably best....it's really the cats that make me worry about myself and dog....I'm in the process already to get my CCW for work so that will be cool when I get it. anyways thanks!

MudCamper
08-26-2009, 8:53 AM
I agree with Cooluser. If there are no schools within 1000 feet, unloaded open carry to the trail, and then loaded (where legal (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457)) or unloaded open carry in the NF.

PoofNoEyebrows
08-26-2009, 9:38 AM
My understanding is that it is unlawful to have a firearm on you in State Park unless in the legal act of hunting. I frequently go to the Big Bear area and started snooping around government websites because I also carry out there when I backpack. i would do a little more research. Also the rangers out there are all very nice except for the supervisor. Most Sundays when the sportsman club is open you can find them on the range bench shooting their rifles.

guayuque
08-26-2009, 10:14 AM
As I understand this issue, it is critical to note the distinction between and national PARK and a nationa FOREST. Carry is legal in the national Forest, but San Bernardino County also has restricted areas. Their map situation is under review and there are threads here on that issue.

Bottom line, just call the ranger's office, because they can also close areas during high fire danger.

MudCamper
08-26-2009, 10:17 AM
My understanding is that it is unlawful to have a firearm on you in State Park unless in the legal act of hunting. I frequently go to the Big Bear area and started snooping around government websites because I also carry out there when I backpack. i would do a little more research. Also the rangers out there are all very nice except for the supervisor. Most Sundays when the sportsman club is open you can find them on the range bench shooting their rifles.

I was under the impression the OP is asking about a National Forest, not a State Park. Isn't Big Bear Lake surrounded by the San Bernardino National Forest?

For clarification about the differences betwee National Forests and State Parks, and their respective firearms restrictions, see Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457).

As I understand this issue, it is critical to note the distinction between and national PARK and a nationa FOREST.

And now we have National Parks in the mix, again, different than National Forests and State Parks. See the Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457) thread.

guayuque
08-26-2009, 10:20 AM
I was under the impression the OP is asking about a National Forest, not a State Park. Isn't Big Bear Lake surrounded by the San Bernardino National Forest?

For clarification about the differences betwee National Forests and State Parks, and their respective firearms restrictions, see Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457).

And now we have National Parks in the mix, again, different than National Forests and State Parks. See the Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457) thread.

I think it is all San Bernadino National Forest, but I am not positive in the Big Bear immediate vicinity. There may be some PARK there, just not sure so I did not want to give bad info.

ar15robert
08-26-2009, 7:39 PM
Why say anything go about doing so on a trail and keep quiet.

When i go to kern river area(near johsondale)And do some stream hiking fishing i carry my .45 openly and loaded.About 10 years ago i was fishing a small pond near there and sheriff pulled up he didnt even ask about the gun and it was on a holster on my belt(i know he saw it too).Just asked how the fishing was and how he thought the pond would be drained by that time of year even told me of a couple creeks nearby to go to.

Guess if you aint in the city and appear to be an upstanding citizen they would pretend they didnt see it.

MudCamper
08-27-2009, 8:02 AM
Guess if you aint in the city and appear to be an upstanding citizen they would pretend they didnt see it.

Unlikely. You were open carrying loaded in unincorporated territory. You were breaking no law.