PDA

View Full Version : quick handgun dros q?

morepoop4u
08-24-2009, 10:38 PM
My brother wants to give me his handgun so can he ship it directly to my ffl for me to do the dros or does he have to go through a ffl to do any paper work on his end.

ke6guj
08-24-2009, 10:53 PM
it must be shipped to your local FFL to comply with CA law, and federal law if coming from out of state.

Is it a currently Rostered handgun? If not, you can't DROS it unless you are both CA-residents and he brings the handgun in to the dealer, no shipping it in.

Librarian
08-24-2009, 10:54 PM
My brother wants to give me his handgun so can he ship it directly to my ffl for me to do the dros or does he have to go through a ffl to do any paper work on his end.

Legally he can send it himself. The receiving FFL, however, has to be willing to receive it from an individual - it's a business thing, not a legal requirement - so call ahead.

I think there are more complications, though.

Since it isn't intrafamilial - brothers are not parents or grandparents - the handgun does need the FFL; if it's INTERSTATE, the handgun has to be on the Roster.

If it's INSTATE it can be a PPT, and the Roster doesn't apply. But I don't know how to talk a FFL into doing a PPT without both buyer and seller being in the shop, though it's reputed to be done.

lorax3
08-24-2009, 10:58 PM
If your FFL will accept a firearm from a private party then he can ship it to your FFL. Many dealers however will only accept firearms from other FFL's. If so get an FFL in your brother's area to send it over.

Remember, as this is NOT A PPT then handgun roster applies, so make sure the handgun is listed before you do this.

If the gun is not on the roster and you have immediate family that reside in CA (mother/father/grandmother/grandfather) then you brother can intra-familial transfer (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) to one of them, and then your mother/father can transfer it to you. There is no FFL needed in situation #2. Although it will take much longer as is it good to wait for a receipt from the DOJ before transferring it between family members.

Alternatively if the handgun is not on the roster and option #2 is too much hassle you could meet your brother halfway for a PPT. But you will have to drive back in ten days to pick it up. (This is if he is a CA resident).

EDIT: *sigh* ke6guj and Librarian beat me to the punch.

Librarian
08-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Apparently ke6guj types fastest! :)