PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant Revolver

StudioDison
08-24-2009, 6:29 PM
My wife, who is from Russia wants to get a MN revolver for home defence. It's the one gun she wants. Are they legal in Ca and were can I find one. I see them on GB for $65.
Thanx.

Quiet
08-24-2009, 6:42 PM
Mosin had nothing to do with the Nagant M1895 revolver.

The Nagant M1895 revolver is exempt from the approved list due to being a C&R handgun.
So, you can buy one online and have it shipped to your CA FFL dealer.

Here is a pic of my 1929 Tula M1895 Nagant revolver that cost me $100 ($75 + $25 DROS). My dad gave me the 7.62x38mmR ammo for it.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_I88A6C5UfDU/Smz2JuTdEuI/AAAAAAAACWY/iQL3cHKSr7Q/s576/CIMG0768.JPG

RudyN
08-24-2009, 6:44 PM
They are legal. I have a nice 1938 one that I bought at City Arms. You can find them on line at places like J&G Sales ($79.95), but you do have to go through a 01FFL even if you have a C&R FFL. By the way ammo is kind of expensive, however they will shoot .32 S&W long. Hope this helps.

Gunaria
08-24-2009, 6:49 PM
There's one for sale for $100 in the sales section. Good luck on finding some ammo. You will probably have to get it online somewhere,

StudioDison
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Mosin had nothing to do with the Nagant M1895 revolver.

The Nagant M1895 revolver is exempt from the approved list due to being a C&R handgun.
So, you can buy one online and have it shipped to your CA FFL dealer.

Here is a pic of my 1929 Tula M1895 Nagant revolver that cost me $100 ($75 + $25 DROS). My dad gave me the 7.62x38mmR ammo for it.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_I88A6C5UfDU/Smz2JuTdEuI/AAAAAAAACWY/iQL3cHKSr7Q/s576/CIMG0768.JPG

Are these easy to fire? hows the trigger pull? My wife can pull the double action on my Sig P226. So Im looking for something more easy for her to pull.

Dr Rockso
08-24-2009, 10:08 PM
The trigger pull is notoriously horrible, the action of the hammer cocking cams the cylinder forward a fraction of an inch to seal the barrel-cylinder gap (it's a very unique design). The single action pull is perfectly fine, however. I have one that I picked up out of state with my 03 FFL.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, she could always just fire it in single action by cocking the hammer first with her thumb. But this wouldn't be very good for home defense, unless she wants to dramatically cock the hammer like in the movies while holding a burglar at gunpoint.

Crusader
08-24-2009, 11:38 PM
You could also get her one of those finger trainers that has a weight resistance. That way she can both strenghten her fingers and practice her pull.

ojisan
08-24-2009, 11:52 PM
The DA pull is horribly heavy.
Just about any other gun made has a better DA pull.

God Bless The Mauser
08-24-2009, 11:55 PM
The ammo isn't very powerful so it wouldn't be very good for home defense. It also is fairly difficult to reload and takes a long time. The double action pull is 10+ pounds but single action isn't too bad. The best thing the have going for them is accuracy.

Gunaria
08-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Here's a thought, get your wife one because she wants one and while your at it get her a real home defense handgun at the same time or 30 days later.

Gunaria
08-24-2009, 11:57 PM
The DA pull is horribly heavy.
Just about any other gun made has a better DA pull.

You remember when you shot mine. Oji was yelling as he was pulling it.:eek:

johnthomas
08-27-2009, 1:25 AM
I own two, one is champered in 32 acp. For home defense and a great c&r gun, I would say the cz82, 9x18. You can buy the gun from jg, order california legal mag, cz83 mags will fit. Easy to cock, easy to shoot and easy on the wallet. I'm not much for revolvers and like the semi auto's.

SDgarrick
08-27-2009, 1:57 AM
I own one and have yet to shoot it, I'd hate to have to rely on it for defense, but I guess it beats nothing, The only real issue is ammunition. what good is a gun if you never shoot it and at 30-40 dollars a box realistically, it likely won't get fired much, however I have to support Gunaria's notion, buy her one because she wants one then get her another one as a go to defense weapon. By the way, Nabokov's wife Vira Slonim carried one in her purse, he even wrote a poem about her:
I know, with certainty
that in that lacquered purse of yours
nestled against powder case and mirror
sleeps a black stone; seven deaths

RaceDay
08-27-2009, 6:52 AM
Don't get a Nagant revolver as a HD weapon. The trigger pull is terrible. DA is off the scale high (I'm guessing it is 15-20 lb). SA is also very high. Compare that to S&W's where SA pull is practically a hair trigger. I think it would be difficult to hit anything with the Nagant in a high stress situation and trying to pull on that very heavy trigger and maintain point of aim.

Or do like Gunaria says, buy her one for the sake of having one. And then she'll probably realize that something else would make a much better HD weapon and you can pick up something else in a couple of months. I mean, if your wife wants to pick up a gun, you shouldn't try too hard to talk her out of it ;)

gun toting monkeyboy
08-27-2009, 1:17 PM
I had one loaded on my headboard for years. It is reasonably accurate once you get used to the trigger. I eventually replaced it with a .38 S&W victory model because I could find ammo easier, and the trigger was much nicer. As a HD gun it isn't the greatest, but if it is what you can get her to use, go for it. The Fiocchi ammo isn't bad, and there are people out there who make JHP loads for it. I would get her that one, and then get a nice .38 revolver at the same time. That way once she has used it a few times, and then compares the trigger to a decent revolver, she will move to the better gun. At less than $100, it would be worth getting it for her to get her into shooting.

-Mb

joefrank64k
09-03-2009, 8:47 PM
Century Arms has the ammo, new production and non-corrosive, for $25.11 a box, shipped. They do have a 4 box (200 round) minimum, but it's about the best deal going right now on new, non-corr stuff.

(This is the 03 FFL dealer price, not sure if the "consumer" price is the same...YMMV)

smle-man
09-03-2009, 9:00 PM
The Nagant revolver is best used as a way of immobilizing the intruder; when he sees the revolver in your hand he will be thrown into a fit of laughter strong enough to render him defenseless. At that point you hit him over the head with it.

trautert
09-03-2009, 9:38 PM
It's the lanyard ring that does them in.

Monax
09-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Today, September 3rd is the anniversary of Fanny Kaplan's execution. She used a Nagant a few days earlier to put two rounds into V.I. Lenin, one entered below his ear. Lenin refused medical attention but it is said that his multiple strokes and death a few years later was the result of Kaplan's bullet. BTW my wife is Russian too.

nick
09-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Century Arms has the ammo, new production and non-corrosive, for $25.11 a box, shipped. They do have a 4 box (200 round) minimum, but it's about the best deal going right now on new, non-corr stuff.

(This is the 03 FFL dealer price, not sure if the "consumer" price is the same...YMMV)

Last I checked, Miwall had it for $19.99.

joefrank64k
09-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Last I checked, Miwall had it for $19.99.

That's a great price! Is that for 50 rounds? Do you know if they have it in stock and what their shipping charge is like?

I just found out that Century International is out-of-stock on the 7.62 Nagant.

I found some at Buffalo Arms for $23/$28/$42 per box of 50 depending on brand (the Fiocchi was $42). You can get the Fiocchi at MidWayUSA for $32.49/box of 50 but it's back-ordered until 10/24/09.

I'll be REALLY glad when this whole "Ammomania" thing cools off! :D