PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Roster and Importation question

Hopi
08-24-2009, 3:03 PM
I'm not versed in the minutiae of the safe handgun roster and wonder if the Ruger P90 DC is ok to import? I see various P90 models on there, but not the DC. Does the 'DC' impact importation?

Also, for an ifamiliar transfer, it must come from a mom/dad/grandparent....my question is, if a cousin in another state has the gun registered in his name is there federal law (brady bill) that says the handgun must be transferred through an FFL (cousin to mom) before importing to CA for the ifamily transfer from parent-child?

This 2nd part is a moot point for this discussion if the gun is on the roster for import....

Thanks!!!

ETA: Heh, for my 6000th post, you'd think I'd know more about the roster.... :)

Dr Rockso
08-24-2009, 4:47 PM
Interfamilial transfers are exempt from the roster. There is no federal law requiring private party sales between residents of the same state to go through an FFL, so (depending on the state) your cousin can just hand it to your mom.

Hopi
08-24-2009, 4:50 PM
Interfamilial transfers are exempt from the roster. There is no federal law requiring private party sales between residents of the same state to go through an FFL.

Thanks.

The ifamilial transfer is an avenue that depends on whether or not that gun is on the roster for import. I don't know how important the "DC" part of the model is w/r/t to the roster and importation...all else relies on that knowledge to proceed.

To confirm the other point, there is no requirement for FFL transfer for a handgun between residents unless the state mandates it?

bwiese
08-24-2009, 4:52 PM
To confirm the other point, there is no requirement for FFL transfer for a handgun between residents unless the state mandates it?

In CA there is unless it's intrafamily or estate/bequest.
The transfer must be reported with DOJ Op Law form.

Within other states, YMMV.

Rascal
08-24-2009, 4:53 PM
Interfamilial transfers are from Father to son/daughter, Mother to son/daughter,Grandfather to grand son/granddaughter, grandmother to grandson/granddaughter, but not cousins, brothers, or sisters.

Hopi
08-24-2009, 4:59 PM
Interfamilial transfers are from Father to son/daughter, Mother to son/daughter,Grandfather to grand son/granddaughter, grandmother to grandson/granddaughter, but not cousins, brothers, or sisters.

I know. The point of the question being, if the gun is on roster and importable, it won't need an ifamily transfer. If it's off roster, to be imported into CA it will need to be transferred while out of state, from cousin to mother, so that mother can send it in for the ifamily transfer to daughter/son.

If the gun is on roster and importable, the ifamily transfer is a moot discussion here, as is the secondary question of the transfer between mother and cousin.

hawk1
08-24-2009, 5:56 PM
Thanks.

The ifamilial transfer is an avenue that depends on whether or not that gun is on the roster for import. I don't know how important the "DC" part of the model is w/r/t to the roster and importation...all else relies on that knowledge to proceed.

The "DC" is the de-cocker model. The roster does not list a decocker.
It list the P90 which is sa/da.
It has the T model which is two tone finish and the TH which is two tone with Hogue grips.

Hopi
08-24-2009, 7:46 PM
Thanks Hawk!

I think that determines the next route.

hawk1
08-24-2009, 8:15 PM
Thanks Hawk!

I think that determines the next route.

Intrafamilial ftw...:)