PDA

View Full Version : MKIII 22/45 hammer pin walks loose

roc
08-24-2009, 2:11 PM
I have a MKIII 22/45 thats just a few months old. Done the slingshot mod and removed magazine disconnect by replacing it with 2 x 5mm washers. It is one of the new ones with the notch in the hammer pin retained by the sear spring. yesterday while shooting some remington golden bullets, one of the shots didnt go off and I notced that the pin had walked itself loose. Apparently the sear spring was not enough to retain the pin in the notch.

I know this was a problem with the mkIIIs that does not have the notched pin but mine is notched and retained. I had just cleaned and lubed it before taking it to the range so maybe theres too much oil in it? Has anyone who has a mkIII with a notched hammer pin had this happen to them?

MallNinja
08-24-2009, 2:16 PM
I don't see how it could've come loose if the spring was sitting in the notch correctly. That's almost an impossibility right there. Maybe the spring wasn't locked into place. That's happened to me once but I caught it before the pin walked out. I'd just make sure everythings sitting well and go shoot it again. If it happens again, there must be a loss of tension on the spring.

roc
08-24-2009, 2:45 PM
could the magazine disconnect removal mod have caused it? I have 2 x 5mm washers in there but there is still a small space that i could still fit a #10 washer in but it makes it a little tight. I didnt put it in because i didnt want the hammer to strike too lightly to cause firing failures.

snobord99
08-24-2009, 4:39 PM
could the magazine disconnect removal mod have caused it? I have 2 x 5mm washers in there but there is still a small space that i could still fit a #10 washer in but it makes it a little tight. I didnt put it in because i didnt want the hammer to strike too lightly to cause firing failures.

That could be your problem. I have 2 ground down #10 washers in there and I've never had such a problem. I could see that if the #5 washers are thinner than the #10s, then maybe what's sitting on the hammer pin moves a bit too much left to right causing the sear spring to move about and come loose. I don't see how over-oiling it could cause the problem. If the sear spring has enough tension and is installed correctly, it shouldn't come out no matter how much oil is in there.

MallNinja
08-24-2009, 4:55 PM
If you put the disconnector back in, you'll see that there's still a gap. Two #10 are plenty.

roc
08-24-2009, 7:20 PM
That could be your problem. I have 2 ground down #10 washers in there and I've never had such a problem. I could see that if the #5 washers are thinner than the #10s, then maybe what's sitting on the hammer pin moves a bit too much left to right causing the sear spring to move about and come loose. I don't see how over-oiling it could cause the problem. If the sear spring has enough tension and is installed correctly, it shouldn't come out no matter how much oil is in there.

5mm washers are actually a little thicker than #10s so I guess that shouldn't be the issue. I've read that many people don't even bother with replacing the disconnector with washers after taking it out. I guess that narrows down to just over oiling?