PDA

View Full Version : looking at a mosin nagant

steelrain82
08-23-2009, 9:09 PM
ok so I'm at big 5 today and I was looking at a 91/30 they had for a hundo. the laminate seemed to be coming off but other than that it looked ok. but what should I really be looking for. I know the wood isn't to important I can just sand it down and varnish it

MattECV
08-23-2009, 9:15 PM
Bring a flashlight, or use one of Big 5s, I suppose, and check down the barrell for condition. Ask if they have any in the back, they usually don't mind letting you check them all out to find the one you want. Cycle the bolt a time or two to make sure it is smooth and tight, one of mine sticks cold and empty, and really sticks after a few rounds.

I got my first Mosin from big 5, I have 3 Mosins now, and will likely continue to collect them, they are a blast to shoot!

steelrain82
08-23-2009, 9:21 PM
it was the last one they had so I played with it a bit and the lands and grooves seemed pretty good but I couldn't see if their was any pitting as I didn't have a light. the crown or tip of the barrel was shinny while the rest was blues or parkerized or whatever they did back than.

cryoguy
08-23-2009, 9:23 PM
I love mine. I would definitely check the barrel for corrosion. That's about it... then have fun with it!

steelrain82
08-23-2009, 9:27 PM
is that a good price for a 91/30 I'm pretty new to the mosins or should I wait for my c&r.

Anthonysmanifesto
08-23-2009, 9:29 PM
look for any obvious defects- crown, obvious pitting etc...... and take it home.

buying a big 5 mosin first is rather safe purchase if its $100 or less.

Ive bought a few.

Used to be you could find some interesting markings- not so much anymore.

steelrain82
08-23-2009, 9:36 PM
I don't remember the markings on this one but I do know the bolt and receiver matched and the markings on the receiver said 1938 and had the hammer and scickle on it. which was pretty cool I thought.

trautert
08-23-2009, 9:38 PM
By the time you pay tax and DROS ( and maybe a lock) you'll have upped the ante by half. And it will still be a decent deal. You'll be able to get most of it back relatively easily, and you will enjoy busting caps with it.
Tom

steelrain82
08-23-2009, 9:43 PM
yeah it comes out to around 150 after dros than the 10 day wait which is the only part that kills me

nemisis1400
08-23-2009, 9:43 PM
by busting caps, you mean hubcap right?:) Me, I look at whether or not that sucker is counter bored and then if it passes the bullet test. If nothing else, put the bayonet on it and use it as a spear/cheap home defense rifle.

Scarecrow Repair
08-23-2009, 9:45 PM
For any rifle where you can peer right down the barrel, just aim it at a store light or even at the sky out a window. The bolt comes out easy; just pull the trigger back to release the last bit. You can't do this with Garands or M1 Carbines or Springfield Trapdoors, and no doubt others, but most rifles can be checked this way.

steelrain82
08-23-2009, 9:47 PM
hopefully it will still be there tomorrow cause now I want one. unless someone has one cheap in Ventura county

SLYoteBoy
08-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Even a white sheet of paper will work in a pinch for looking down the bore.

joefrank64k
08-24-2009, 2:33 PM
Mosin's are very cool...but be careful!!!

Once the C&R siren gets her claws in you, she can be a Hideous Bi*ch Goddess!!!

Asphodel
08-24-2009, 3:36 PM
Joefrank,

The 'C&R siren' you mention is a cute little playfully meow-ing kitten, at her worst, compared to the personal issues involved when one has an intense affection for pre-64 Winchesters..... : )

cheers

Carla

snobord99
08-25-2009, 8:42 PM
Hmm, who are our experts here? I'll have some questions regarding mine once I spring it out of 10 day jail. So far, based on the barrel markings, I know it's a 1925 Izhevsk and bolt matches barrel. I'm just not sure if anything else matches.

knucklehead0202
08-25-2009, 9:25 PM
well, everyone thinks they're an expert, lol. point is, most everybody has, or has had one, or 5 mosins. matching numbers would be good, but not paramount. not often you really have headspace issues with these things as they were all pretty loosely manufactured. they go bang every time, are pretty damned accurate, ammo's cheap. what more is there to know? look for one with a decent looking bore, counterbored is also NOT a big deal. better that than having a section of corroded crap rifling at the end of your barrel, accuracy can only be better for it. some people just "feel" better without the counterbore. nevertheless, get it get it get it! you'll never regret buying a mosin unless you pay 500 bucks for it. in which case, you either bought a finn, which is good, or you're an idiot, which is bad. good luck and enjoy!

Rover
08-26-2009, 1:13 AM
I walked in when they had one for sale, asked if the one on display was the best one they had, they said yes, I bought it. The numbers don't entirely match, the bluing isn't great, but the bore was spotless and the iron sights are dead on. Surplus ammo is cheap too.

Remember to lean into it and hold it tight against your shoulder.

cousinkix1953
08-26-2009, 3:01 AM
ok so I'm at big 5 today and I was looking at a 91/30 they had for a hundo. the laminate seemed to be coming off but other than that it looked ok. but what should I really be looking for. I know the wood isn't to important I can just sand it down and varnish it
Check out the R GUNS website too. They have original model 1895 Mosin-Nagant revolvers for $99.95 with original Russian holsters and accessories. These are C&R and probably exempted from the PRK roster. Find a FFL to import the revolver from this Illinios dealer. It should cost about the same as your Big 5 rifle after taxes and paperwork.

This would be a nice combination. A pair of commie classics for about $300. Have fun. I have a Luger pistol to go along with my K98k Mauser rifle...

CowboyShooter
08-26-2009, 7:48 AM
Hmm, who are our experts here? I'll have some questions regarding mine once I spring it out of 10 day jail. So far, based on the barrel markings, I know it's a 1925 Izhevsk and bolt matches barrel. I'm just not sure if anything else matches.

There's plenty of info around on the 91/30's...

http://7.62x54r.net/

http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/index.asp

enjoy.... (and GET your C&R FFL if you think you're gonna be getting more)

:D

Scarecrow Repair
08-26-2009, 7:49 AM
They have original model 1895 Mosin-Nagant revolvers ...This would be a nice combination. A pair of commie classics for about $300. Have fun. I have a Luger pistol to go along with my K98k Mauser rifle...

1895 is pre-commie :-)

cousinkix1953
08-26-2009, 6:47 PM
1895 is pre-commie :-)
Those revolvers were made for many years after the 1917 Bolshevik revolution too. It might be nice to have one from the commie years to go with his 1891/1930 rifle...

steelrain82
08-26-2009, 7:47 PM
it may be precommie but the commies did use it ip to the late 50's I believe

socomIInato
08-26-2009, 8:40 PM
found a nice 1930 hex receiver 91/30, yea for me!

Eroland7
08-26-2009, 8:56 PM
you can just open the bolt and put a piece of white paper in it and look down the front of the barrel to check for corrosion. Works pretty good.

cousinkix1953
08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
it may be precommie but the commies did use it ip to the late 50's I believe
A friend of mine has a pistol and a rifle combination with commie era WW2 dates on them. No importer's marks either cuz they were vet bringbacks...

johnthomas
08-27-2009, 12:06 AM
I own 5 mosin nagant's and two nagant pistol's. I am not an expert by any means, but having been involved with them for 15 years, I know a little about them. jgsales.com has them for 79 dollars, shipping is about 20. If you don't have a license, buy the one at big5. You got to see the one your getting.