PDA

View Full Version : Mauser build up?

tpuig
08-23-2009, 3:42 PM
Although there are some fantastic new rifles out there, you often hear of (usually old timers) who've had custom rifles made from Mauser actions. Typically which types are used? I mean year range, model, etc. I'm not planning on doing this, but just curious.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-23-2009, 3:54 PM
You'd want to use a standard length large ring Mauser action, since these are the easiest to find parts for. German military G98 and K98 rifles have standard length large ring actions, but they are generally too collectable and expensive now to start cutting up. Your best bet right now would be either the Czech Model 24 or 98/22. They have standard length large ring actions and are still fairly cheap.

Stay away from Yugo Mausers, like the M24, M24/47 or M48. They use a shorter Mauser action and they wont accept all of the standard Mauser aftermarket parts. There is one Yugo rifle, the M24/52c which uses a Czech M24 action, but it would be easier to find a regular Czech rifle anyway.

There are also Turkish Mauser rifles, but you really need to know what you are doing if you want to find one of the Turk rifles built on standard length large ring actions. The Turks used four or five versions of the Mauser action over the years and I believe only one of them was a standard length large ring G98 action.

knucklehead0202
08-23-2009, 6:00 PM
nothing wrong with small-rings if you don't plan to rechamber the rifle. small-ring mausers are very accurate and chambered in some great cartridges like 6.5x55 swedish, 7.65x53"argentine", and 7x57 mauser, all of which are good for hunting, or target shooting. the early mausers are also inexpensive and there's tons of them already half-sporterized. i've got 2 1891 argentines that are mildly sportered, actually planning on selling one if you're interested. they both have matching numbers and beautiful shiny bores. both have shorter barrels, trimmed and recontoured military stocks, and slightly bent bolt handles. great shooters both, and i'd make you a good deal. i love them both but am running out of room in the safe and don't need 2 argentine sporters. let me know if you're interested, otherwise, happy hunting, mausers are fun and there are many variants to choose from. good luck!

Tenamaxtle
08-23-2009, 6:52 PM
You can buy actions, barrels and stocks at Midway, IIRC, but not sure about quality and/or performance.

Spiggy
08-23-2009, 7:16 PM
there is also the prevalence of commercially manufactured mauser-type actions, some of which are even manufactured by big names like Ruger.