View Full Version : Question: transfering a C&R handgun in CA - not face to face transaction

08-23-2009, 12:16 PM
The gun is a C&R revolver 50+ year old, still imported by CAI but not listed on the CA DOJ roster.
Considering the seller and the buyer live in SoCal and NorCal and a FTF transfer is not possible, what is the legal way to do this transfer? Some years ago I heard about a "split" PPT, is that still possible? Are there any ways around this stupid law, for example the buyer's dealer buys the gun then sells it to the buyer like it's a dealer sale?

Dr Rockso
08-23-2009, 12:30 PM
C&R handguns are exempt from the roster.

08-23-2009, 1:37 PM
C&R handguns are exempt from the roster.

Cool. That means I can send it directly to the buyer's FFL dealer or should I ask my dealer to send it to his dealer?

08-23-2009, 1:48 PM
1. You can send it direct to the buyers FFL... 'IF', if your buyers FFL will accept a firearm delivery from a private party. So, better ask first.

2. The Sellers FFL does NOT need to buy the firearm, just have the buyer send you the payment.

2A. Once the firearm is received by the FFL, this is no longer a '35$ Private Party Transfer' - it is now a Dealer Sale and the Dealer can, and will most likely charge what they want for use of their FFL License. So, have the buyer ask his FFL how much 'before' you ship the firearm.

Hope this helps, take care.

08-23-2009, 2:08 PM
Thanks John!