PDA

View Full Version : How can we help preserve Open Desert shooting?

tkmech21
08-23-2009, 9:11 AM
I started another thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=215344 but it got me thinking, while looking around on google earth I found an area that was suggested for shooting in the above thread "Berdoo Canyon" out north of Indio, CA. Along with finding the area, on Google Earth people are able to submit pictures of whatever, the far North of the Berdoo Canyone I guess there is old ruins of a camp from the 30's, clicking on the pictures there are comments like "Berdoo Camp Hospital shot to bits by "sportsmen"" "Berdoo Camp-Gunslingers have shot this place to bits" "Joshua Tree entrance at Berdoo Canyon, Seams to be a moron with a shotgun running loose"

I understand we can't stop every "moron" with a gun that decides its cool to shoot signs and structures that we not made to be shot at. And hopefully there are none of us in this community that would do that. But what if when we are out shooting Ethically in the open desert areas we take some pictures and submit them to Google Earth "not sure how it is done, never done it before" Showing some of the areas we shoot at, on a more positive side. Or even better, photos of the clean-up shoots. It may not go very far, not sure how many people browse google earth, but atleast is something positive we can do.

It will put on map places where other shooters can know its safe to go shoot and maybe bring the gun owner community closer. Just an Idea, What do you think

PatriotnMore
08-23-2009, 9:22 AM
Honestly, IMO, if the BLM and N.F. service was concerned about preserving shooting outdoors, they would make, and make known shooting areas open to the public. However, I can see where they would just rather it go away when it comes to shooting for the general public.

So many yahoos shoot at anything with a post, including the post, leave their trash and shells lying all over the place, and would make for dangerous shooting if a Range Master was not onsight to keep things safe. Not to mention the legal consequences of lawsuits by those looking to make a windfall off the Departments/State/Fed, for their stupitity, or stupitity of others.

If you make a map, be prepared to have those sights trashed, and possibly closed down.

I started another thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=215344 but it got me thinking, while looking around on google earth I found an area that was suggested for shooting in the above thread "Berdoo Canyon" out north of Indio, CA. Along with finding the area, on Google Earth people are able to submit pictures of whatever, the far North of the Berdoo Canyone I guess there is old ruins of a camp from the 30's, clicking on the pictures there are comments like "Berdoo Camp Hospital shot to bits by "sportsmen"" "Berdoo Camp-Gunslingers have shot this place to bits" "Joshua Tree entrance at Berdoo Canyon, Seams to be a moron with a shotgun running loose"

I understand we can't stop every "moron" with a gun that decides its cool to shoot signs and structures that we not made to be shot at. And hopefully there are none of us in this community that would do that. But what if when we are out shooting Ethically in the open desert areas we take some pictures and submit them to Google Earth "not sure how it is done, never done it before" Showing some of the areas we shoot at, on a more positive side. Or even better, photos of the clean-up shoots. It may not go very far, not sure how many people browse google earth, but atleast is something positive we can do.

It will put on map places where other shooters can know its safe to go shoot and maybe bring the gun owner community closer. Just an Idea, What do you think

tkmech21
08-23-2009, 9:53 AM
I'm not saying to make a map, but to submit pictures with Google earth pointing out that responsible people can shoot without destroying things and can even clean up after themselves and other people that decided not to. Just a little more positive then seeing pictures people have submitted that point out that "Gunslingers, and morons with guns were here"

zrock
08-23-2009, 9:12 PM
Shooters dont clean up after there done . We all know this . Today i spent some time cleaning up after a few. Drive out to hodges road just south of barstow. Then open your eyes.

Solution. Start now with your friends . Leave it cleaner than when you started

packnrat
08-23-2009, 10:22 PM
We as a group can work at this,
every time you go to a open range, clean it up.
Pick up all of your trash, spent shells, etc.
And some of the trash left by others.

stormy_clothing
08-25-2009, 3:47 PM
simple you beat the living crap out of anyone you catch being selfish, claim your life was in danger whatever. it wont continue for long. thats the only way really unfortunately.

Claygun
08-27-2009, 6:50 AM
You're not going to stop every moron with a gun from vandalism, even worse when you're talking tweakers with guns. Not even if you shoot some of them. However, Redwood Pratical Shooters in Fort Bragg has a shooting area that is basicly a wide spot in the road in Jackson State Forest. When non members began using the area we had a problem with people hanging targets on the trees and severly damaging them. The soultion was to leave a couple targets on stands for them to use, and a sign that says "Please do not shoot trees." That seems to have solved the problem of the trees getting shot up, but there is still a problem of shooters leaving behind garbage.

Ukiah gun club has a very clean range and most of the members do indeed clean up after themselves. On the other hand UGC is a members only range that cost about $200 a year, and a little peer pressure on slovely members can go a long way. Alcohol and other drugs are strictly forbidden and are grounds for termination of membership.

Mail Clerk
08-27-2009, 2:23 PM
I feel several flat lands needs to be under the Federal government and made available specificallt for civilain shooting sports sothey'll be secured from local authorities from outlawing them because of city ordenances.

Mail Clerk

P08
08-27-2009, 3:17 PM
I usually tell my out of town friends to avoid berdoo on holidays, since it is sometimes not the place to be without some sort of body armor. I remember recently, down the road at the 'iron door', a popular offroading area closed down to mx racing, the sheriff was ticketing everyone they could catch for illegal riding off road. The sad part of this was the berdoo was a virtual war zone at the time, every armed gangbanger was out there -worst I'd ever seen. Before I turned around to leave the canyon, I noted one fool shooting with a nagant rifle up at boulders causing rockslides. When I went by the guy, after waiting for him to stop, he exclaimed 'hey man, its pretty cool man...'. I am not sure wtf gets into some peoples mind, I like sport shooting, but wtf?

Acorn556
08-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Keep the areas you shoot clean. When you have a weekend with nothing to do or just feel like staying home, go out to your shooting area and do a cleanup. Then post some pictures or show the BLM people you CARE about using the area. They will remember you and hassle you less and less each time. Panoche is getting cleaned up soon and people will abuse it the weekend after to dump stuff.