PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot out off Dillion in Desert Hot Springs, Thousand Palms Area?

tkmech21
08-22-2009, 11:28 PM
I got a Ticket from a BLM officer a couple months ago for being in a fire closure area, while he was writing the ticket out I had to ask him what any gun lover/shooter would ask, "Where can I go shoot legally around here" He told me if I take the 10 east go up the 62 I think that is to 29 palms area, Get off on Dillon and take that out east till it opens up he said there are a lot of canyons to shoot in. I went up there today, a pitstop before doing a job in Desert hot springs. I took Dillon out till I saw a dirt road going North up into a big canyon area. I went up and shot some 9mil with my bro-in-law, there was another car up there shooting off a perfect skeet platue. I looked it up on google earth and it shows NW of Fan Hill. Is this the right spot, I saw signs saying no dumping and some that said it was State Park area, on Google Earth it shows it borders Joshua Tree National Park. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I like to shoot in areas that I know are OK, The other area I was questioning was Long canyon. That Fan Hill area looked awsome, and perfest for many types of shooting. Thanks in advance.

P08
08-23-2009, 8:41 AM
I cant say where you were shooting off dillon was legal. I do know that little berdoo canyon dirt road is a long time shooting spot. Additionally, 29 palms area is mostly not legal to shoot based on the maps i've seen -shotgun only areas.

tkmech21
08-23-2009, 9:11 AM
I guess where I was at was Fan canyon, a little west of berdoo canyon. I wasn't really wondering about 29 palms area though, I was just using it as a refrence incase I got the Hwy number wrong, so people would know what i'm talking about. So is Berdo canyon open to all shooting? how is the terrain, can you put out some long targets for Hi power Rifle shooting? The Fan canyon area was really nice, Had a great spot for throwing clays, long range ability, and plenty of spots for pistols. I did see sign of shooting, but that doesn't say much about legality.

Here is where I was at: Dillon is just out of the screen shot to the bottom, and measured it out on earth about 8 miles west of berdoo canyon road. Main road in is thousand palms canyon road.
http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1771/11838625/22058470/372560360.jpg

angelocris
08-24-2009, 4:56 PM
tk, Berdoo Canyon seems safe to shoot anything. Just need to make sure your aiming at a burm. I bought a map at the Palm Springs BLM office and the gentleman there told me Fargo and Berdoo were the only safe ones. I tried Fargo but couldn't find any sign of anyone shooting there. Then tried Berdoo and found everything from empty shot shells to empty 7.62, 223 and other various ammo.

Geo cordinates to Berdoo Canyon are 33.811388,-116.174068.

It's nice because the road is completly paved to where you hit the first spot.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.811388,-116.174068&t=p&sll=33.806428,-116.155292&sspn=0.247532,0.23581&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=33.811316,-116.174068&spn=0.021894,0.055017&z=14

P08
08-24-2009, 5:26 PM
The fan canyon spot might not be ok, I remember signage that it was 'state property'. I have never seen a state park ranger out there, but you never know. I know where you are talking about, although I havent shot there, there are rememnants of shooting everywhere. Residential homes are not that far off also. Also be mindful when traveling in that area, the national park boundary is a concern since shooting is restricted. The little berdoo site is better to practice, it has been a good spot to shoot for a long time. I have off roaded in that area extensively, mostly you want to watch out for the gangbangers who come there to test their peestolles.

Bigballaizm
08-24-2009, 7:22 PM
Thanx for the info and heads up gents!! If anyone is interested in a trip, let me know...

tkmech21
08-24-2009, 10:31 PM
thanks for the info, I put in an email with the BLM to see what I can get out of them, so far my email has been forwarded to 3 different people, no answer yet. But i'll have to check out Berdoo I guess.

stormy_clothing
08-25-2009, 4:11 PM
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/Barstow.Par.78735.File.dat/BFO_shotgunarea_8x11.pdf