PDA

View Full Version : Can Retired LEO buy off roster guns in Ca?

Treb5
08-22-2009, 8:25 PM
Do LEO's lose their exempt status once they retire? I'm talking new purchase from FFL not PPT.

ke6guj
08-22-2009, 8:28 PM
nope. They lose their roster-exemption when they retire.

K5Cruiser
08-22-2009, 8:30 PM
No

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=125467&highlight=retired

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=114659&highlight=retired

eltee
08-23-2009, 7:24 AM
I think they can if they are eligible for post-retirement service. Alot of agencies hire back retirees, i.e., SFPD has the DROP program, CCCSO hires back retired deputies on a per diem basis, SFSD will hire back deputies for half-time scheduled duty, I think LASD has some type of post-retirement program, etc. So, even if you are getting a pension it is my belief that if you have TDY type status and you have an ID card or TDY "orders" from the dept. CO, you can buy.

Now, I'm unclear if you need to do that on an active duty day or if you can go on off days.

My theory is that if you are working for a dept. as a retiree, you are still "active" if only for a limited duration. If my theory is correct, then, by definition, although receiving a pension you are still working for the dept. I could be totally wrong with all this, how often do logic and gun restrictions combine in a sensible manner?

halifax
08-23-2009, 7:27 AM
I think they can if they are eligible for post-retirement service. Alot of agencies hire back retirees, i.e., SFPD has the DROP program, CCCSO hires back retired deputies on a per diem basis, SFSD will hire back deputies for part-time scheduled duty, etc. So, even if you are getting a pension it is my belief that if you have TDY type status and you have an ID card or TDY "orders" from the dept. CO, you can buy.

Now, I'm unclear if you need to do that on an active duty day or if you can go on off days.

Are their credentials marked "retired". I doubt the FFL would accept them if they weren't active duty.

Markinsac
08-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Once retired, if they work for an agency they are given new ID as Level 1 Designated Reserve.

Level 1 Designated gives them 24x7 LEO powers. A regular Level 1 only has powers when on duty (the same as Levels 2 and 3).

cmonk518
08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
You are probably better off asking a FFL or gun shop that deals heavily with cops and/or military in your area. They will probably have the most up-to-date accurate information on whether retired cops still have exemption status. I don't think they would honor or extend these extra benefits to people who no longer have full LE duties or powers granted by the state. If they take away all your other LE privileges, I would think they would take away your exemption too. Esp. when your agency ID badge number changes once you retire, your CA POST records are no longer currently updated, etc. the DOJ database may either reject or deny the application based on missing info or what they think is wrong information. Better to ask your local gun store that caters to LEOs...

MAC USMC
08-25-2009, 9:21 AM
I am retired LEO and do not have ANY exemptions regarding firearm purchases, possession, mag capacity,etc. Once you retire and no longer have sworn duty status those privileges expire.

I do have a nation-wide CCW permit after doing the required qualification routine.

CAUTION is the by-word in this area since there is some confusion about it.

tube_ee
08-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Once retired, if they work for an agency they are given new ID as Level 1 Designated Reserve.

Level 1 Designated gives them 24x7 LEO powers. A regular Level 1 only has powers when on duty (the same as Levels 2 and 3).

This sounds like something out of a role playing game, not a function of the law.

I'm a gamer, and that's just sad.

--Shannon