PDA

View Full Version : K98 repo Cleaning Rod??

Dr.Mauser
08-22-2009, 7:12 PM
So I have 4 K98s only 1 came with a cleaning rod (i got that from my opa) they are all early years S/42G( no year) 42 code year 1938,BCD code 41 year, and a CE code 1944 year. I tried putting the cleaning rod from the BCD 41 into the 42 coded 1938 and it wouldnt fit, its 10 inches but its to big aroun, and I want to get cleaning rods and sight hoods for all of them from here (http://ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IO&Product_Code=K98K0009&Category_Code=K98) but i dont want them to get here and have the rods not fit...any ideas?

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-22-2009, 7:19 PM
Mausers are not my speciality but I believe that there are two different lengths for the cleaning rods. Head over to the gunboards trader (http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75) and see if you can find some originals.

Crusader
08-22-2009, 10:02 PM
There are 2 sizes of cleaning rods: those made for the M98 series, and those made for the K98 carbines. You will want the short cleaning rods to fit the rifles you listed.

I would suggest buying replicas if you plan on using them. If you have a seperate cleaning kit and just want them for looks, try and get the originals.

day
08-23-2009, 8:07 PM
first off are your K-98s R/Cs? The reason I ask is that original early K-98s came with 10" cleaning rods and the later ones came with 12" cleaning rods. If it is a R/C or a Mitchells Mausers they may have the wrong stock on them. Your S/42G was made in 1935 and would take a 10", so would the 42 code 1938, the later ones will take the longer style. If the cleaning rods that you have are too thick and will not fit the hole they are cheap repros. Try a different maker.Try Landsers they seem to have nice ones. As for sight hoods early models do not take them. So of the early models where modified to take the sight hood if they where sent in for other repairs. Sight hoods where used only on some 1940s and on all 1941 and later rifles. have fun with them.

Nodda Duma
08-23-2009, 8:52 PM
As most folks said, mauser stocks will accept lengths either ~10" rods or ~12.5" rods. I believe the older stocks accepted 10", while newer stocks accept 12.5"...and cutoff is ~1940 or 1941 manufacturing dates. Note that on Russian Capture Mausers, there is no correlation between receiver date and stock date. You will need to use a cloths hangar or similar to determine which length you need.

As for diameter, does the rod fit through the cleaning rod hole in the metal bayonet lug/stock end cap? If it does, but doesn't pass any farther, it may be caused by buildup of cosmoline in the cleaning rod channel, or some of the wood may be pressing into the cleaning rod channel.

I've found that once that area is cleared out, the rod will usually go in the rest of the way. Use a drill bit same diameter as the cleaning rod, and drill out the old gunk *by hand*. By this I mean do not attack with a power drill like some crazed lunatic. Use your fingers to turn the drill bit to clear out the gunk.

As day said, Landsehr's is the place to shop for repro cleaning rods.

-Jason