PDA

View Full Version : Going to the pistol range on a Motorcycle?

Bling Bling
03-10-2005, 11:24 AM
The weather has been getting better and I was thinking about this. Of course I have a locked case for mypistol and I store it separately from the ammo (unloaded). The only place I could really store it is in a backpack while I'm riding.

Obviously it's not a locked trunk but, it's not like I can unlock my case, grab my pistol off a back pack, load it, and fire while riding.

Bling Bling
03-10-2005, 11:24 AM
The weather has been getting better and I was thinking about this. Of course I have a locked case for mypistol and I store it separately from the ammo (unloaded). The only place I could really store it is in a backpack while I'm riding.

Obviously it's not a locked trunk but, it's not like I can unlock my case, grab my pistol off a back pack, load it, and fire while riding.

bwiese
03-10-2005, 11:29 AM
I am not a lawyer but...

I'd lean toward not having the lockbox w/gun in my backpack, but strapped to rear 'cargo' platform area or strapped to gas tank, etc. (I have no idea how your bike is structured). Keep the ammo in the backpack, that's OK.

Whatever the law reads, a cop might still bust you for CCW in backpack and let the DA sort it out.

Anonymous Coward
03-10-2005, 7:01 PM
I don't think the concealment part of the locked box in the backpack is an issue. You could have the backpack sitting on the passenger seat in a car and be OK.

However PC 12026.1. (a)(1) says :
The firearm is *within* a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment.

That *within* might constructed as not being fulfilled - with the firearm being on your back and not enclosed by the vehicle.

A safer bet would be to have a top box or side bags on your motorcycle (and possibly ones that aren't just strapped on).

If you call the DOJ please report back, I'd be interested to knowing this too.

trever1t
03-10-2005, 7:14 PM
I have hard bags that lock so no worries for me there, but on a similar note, where in my pick-up is legal? I usually toss the goodies in the back seat (xtended cab) and ammo on the floor, but there are no provisions in the law about vehicles without trunks!

Anonymous Coward
03-10-2005, 7:21 PM
Can I make up my mind about the backpack concealment part? :-) Bill is right, it might be constructed as "concealed upon the person".

treve1t, the way I read the law is you can either have your firearm:
1) in a locked container in the vehicle itself (utility and glove compartments don't count) or
2) in a locked or unlocked container in the trunk

if your firearms are locked a locked container in the truck then you're fine.

icormba
03-10-2005, 8:55 PM
brings up an interesting topic I have never really thought about...
what if you don't own a motor vehicle? how do you transport your firearms?

rkt88edmo
03-10-2005, 11:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by icormba:
what if you don't own a motor vehicle? how do you transport your firearms? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why, in your bicycle trailer of course http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ivanimal
03-11-2005, 12:18 AM
There is a guy who regulars Chabot. He rides a very nice BMW with full fairing. He told me he loves to hang the turns with his rifles stapped on! Gotta love it. He straps the ammo to a bag on his gas tank. The side bags would scrape on turns occasionally he said. He did say that he did intend to buy thinner bags. I wwould think the dual opposing cylinders would hit first but what do I know?

Bling Bling
03-11-2005, 8:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trever1t:
I have hard bags that lock so no worries for me there, but on a similar note, where in my pick-up is legal? I usually toss the goodies in the back seat (xtended cab) and ammo on the floor, but there are no provisions in the law about vehicles without trunks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I wonder about this every time I go shooting. My truck doesn't have an extra cab and I don't want to put my cases in the bed.

I guess this is just another area that they intentional omit just to help California's criminal production.

Hmm I don't have any storage containers on my bike, it's a street bike, so it's back pack, tank bag, or nothing.

I'll call the DOJ sometime when I get bored and let you know (their answer will probably be "wait til you get arrested and then we'll tell you that you shouldn't have done it".

bwiese
03-11-2005, 9:52 AM
I drive a pickup truck too.

I have a WeatherGuard "saddlebox" toolbox mounted on the bed.

Even though this is a locked container, I still lock my guns (at least AWs + handguns) within it. There is some unclarity in vehicle+gun law as to what a 'utility box' is when it was originally specified in relation to glove compartment, etc. We could assume they mean some other 'glove box'-style small container in the cab that hasn't been specified so that conceivably is up in the air.

Since I now have more room behind the seat and have a 4-dr cab (F150) I can also put a locked handgun or rifle case behind my seat.

Remember, DOJ may have a decent/fair interpretation, but as the DOJ guys have warned, there are 58 prosecuting DAs in Calif.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

ScorpioVI
03-11-2005, 2:29 PM
I do it all the time. I carry my Kimber inside a locked pistol case, then it goes into my Eagle A3 Assault Pack which is then locked. All my other range gear and ammo is in the pack as well.

My CBR600 F4i doesn't have any trunk space at all. Put it this way, a takeout bag with a cheeseburger and fries completely fills my "trunk".

I've never been pulled over while riding in such configuration.

Mark in Eureka
03-11-2005, 5:26 PM
This is the very reason I got my first Concealed Weapons Permit. I applied to the police for a CCW since there was no way I could transport a weapon, while going hunting of fishing, without having the ammo within arms reach, and therfore the weapon considered loaded.

I was told that they would not give me a permit of carry a concealed weapon. I floored them when I quoted Penal Code stating I already had the right to carry the weapon concealed, just not loaded. The problem the I could not carry any ammo on my bike.

It took five years, but finally the Chief of Police issued me my first permit, limited to on a motorcycle only while going hunting or fishing outside the city. Two years later he removed all restrictions.

I started when I was 22, and was first issured a permit when I was 27. Yerars later, I had one Chief decied not to renew my CCW (he did not the reason it), I request a interview, the staff in shock (that anyone would object to this decision) took back to meet with him. His comment to me was "oh it you". He re-issued, and changed the reason to "to comply with the law."

I am no one special, I had known this officer from school presentation in elementary school (Officer Frendly), thru high school and took classes (Police Science) from him in college.

You will never know if you do not ask. I suggest that everyone take the time to apply for a CCW, and then keep up the presure by checking back.

icormba
03-11-2005, 6:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark in Eureka:
You will never know if you do not ask. I suggest that everyone take the time to apply for a CCW, and then keep up the presure by checking back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eureka is a bit different than San Jose, but that does give give me some motivation...

"I collect guns and when I am transporting my firearms to and from the range, I fear that I may get car jacked and my guns may end up on the street." probably wouldn't be reason enough, but your right... I won't know for sure if I don't try.

Anonymous Coward
03-12-2005, 6:41 PM
While we're on that topic of transportig firearms... PC 12026 also says that your firearm has to be locked in a container while carrying it to and from from the motorvehicle.

Would that apply too if I am on the private property of range or an FFL's parking lot?

I'm asking because some FFLs make you bring or buy a lock for the firearm case, but that wouldn't be necessary if you put the (unlocked) case in your trunk...

Bling Bling
03-12-2005, 9:39 PM
I recently bought a pistol in CA and could not believe the amount of hoops I had to jump through just to leave the store. Had to bring a PG&E bill, etc. I brought my own lockable pistol case cause I didn't want to take any chances. Then if the pistol doesn't come with a lock you have buy one. My .22 pistol came with a lock so I was cool.

Yeah I'm in Santa Clara county so there will be no CCW.

bwiese
03-14-2005, 9:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(rehttp://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif transporting firearms... PC 12026 also says that your firearm has to be locked in a container while carrying it to and from from the motorvehicle.

Would that apply too if I am on the private property of range or an FFL's parking lot?

I'm asking because some FFLs make you bring or buy a lock for the firearm case, but that wouldn't be necessary if you put the (unlocked) case in your trunk... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I believe it varies with the how the FFL's business is arranged. Is it a private parking lot, or is lot shared with the next-door vet and nail salon and dentist? Is it posted "Right to pass subject to permission & control of owner"?

If it's a lot just for gun store exclusive use, your purchase from FFL would _probably_ de facto allow you to carry it to/from store from/to your vehicle without a locked box.

Otherwise bring a lock or locked box so you don't have to buy another lock.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Rumpled
03-14-2005, 6:28 PM
icormba-
I've been told that your rational is accepted in Orange County. People having gun club memberships and frequent shooting get approved. But, right on the OCSD website is says self-defense is not a valid reason.
So, they'll let you have a CCW to protect your guns, but not yourself - go figger.

icormba
03-18-2005, 7:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AnonymousCoward:
While we're on that topic of transportig firearms... PC 12026 also says that your firearm has to be locked in a container while carrying it to and from from the motorvehicle.

I'm asking because some FFLs make you bring or buy a lock for the firearm case, but that wouldn't be necessary if you put the (unlocked) case in your trunk... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, gosh... I remember when I first bought my (now gonehttp://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ) AK from The Gun Exchange back in '97, I walked out into the parking lot with the rifle & mag... no case, no lock. The dealer did suggest that I remove the mag because I might scare someone http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rumpled:
icormba-
I've been told that your rational is accepted in Orange County. People having gun club memberships and frequent shooting get approved. But, right on the OCSD website is says self-defense is not a valid reason.
So, they'll let you have a CCW to protect your guns, but not yourself - go figger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 guys I work with in Santa Clara have CCW's with the reasons being... #1 "carries large amounts of cash" #2 "I can't remember the other guys reason?"
But they both live way up north in Orville