PDA

View Full Version : Gorram FUD

Werewolf1021
08-21-2009, 4:14 PM
This all leads up to questions so bear with me while I give backstory.

So I'm in Outdoor Sportsman today in Stockton buying some ear protection and decide to take my HSC my parents wanted to intra familial transfer a handgun to me (under 21). So I take it after 30+ min wait time and pass 100%. Give my DL to the guy and he says "Oh, you're not 21" so I say yes it is for an Intra familial transfer. "I have to check with my boss. Wait here please." Another 10 min go by and another guy comes in and RIPS UP MY TEST! I tell what the hell are you doing and he says "My boss told me to since you aren't 21 you cant use it." I am pissed now, and say "OK I want to talk to him." He says hes over by the counter (there are like 5 ppl behind the counter) WHICH ONE!? Black shirt.

I go over to the manager and explain the situation. He says "You cant use it. I will give you a refund." I tell him that I can, in fact, use it and need it for an Intra familial transfer. He grabs his DOJ cheat book and flips through and shows me the part where you cant PURCHASE a handgun under 21 through a ffl. I tell him that I am not purchasing it and it is not going through a ffl as IFT goes through the DOJ. So Manager boy calls the DOJ and puts me on the phone. I talk to this lady (who can barely speak English :rolleyes:) about my Situation yet again. She tells me that I can posses the handgun from my parents with a written notice. I tell her that I know that and that I'm doing an IFT and it states on their website that due to IFT you do not need to be 21 as you are not purchasing the gun. She says "Oh, that is not the way we do things." Being pretty confident that I am right and most of the DOJ cant butter their own toast I ask if I can still have the card. She tells me yes but it will be useless. I state that it is fine, I just want my darn card. So manager boy gives me it and I go on my merry way.

My questions are 1) Was I correct in the assumption that you do not need to be 21 to perform IF transfer for handguns?

And 2) What would happen if i send in the form anyway and they reject it? Will I get my $19 back?

Turo
08-21-2009, 4:20 PM
1) Was I correct in the assumption that you do not need to be 21 to perform IF transfer for handguns?

And 2) What would happen if i send in the form anyway and they reject it? Will I get my $19 back?

1) You are correct. The law for the IFT states that the recipient must be over 18.

2) I doubt you'll get your money back, but I haven't gotten that far on mine yet.

I sent my IFT in about 3 months ago, and about 1.5 months after i sent it, i got the letter saying I wasn't a prohibited person, yada yada, and some other stuff. They didn't say my transfer was going through, but they didn't say it wasn't either. So count on it being a while before they get their crap in order.

GL on your transfer, and we'll have to meet up and compare new pistols when school starts :)

hawk1
08-21-2009, 4:30 PM
http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214550

Librarian
08-21-2009, 4:35 PM
That's three in the last week or so.

I used DOJ's contact form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/contact.php) yesterday to send them the IFT/under 21 info, and ask them to verify and then give it to staff.

Maybe things will get better.

Werewolf1021
08-21-2009, 6:10 PM
Should I include my HSC number or copy of it when I send in the form?

Librarian
08-21-2009, 6:28 PM
Sure, write the number someplace on the form - although the state requires the HSC, there's no place to document it, so label it something like "HSC # 12345678"

Might save them a phone call, save you some irritation. Might not.