View Full Version : Competition Pistol Question

pennys dad
08-20-2009, 9:06 PM
So I am thinking about getting 2 pistols for competition shoots. One for me one for the wife. We wont be super serious shooters so Im not looking to buy some crazy comp build and a matter of need I want this to be an off the shelf buy. So Calgunners I need a recommendation on caliber and pistol.

Glock Fan
08-20-2009, 9:10 PM
Glock 34 for a 9mm or the Glock 35 for .40 FTW!!! It's a great all around off the shelf pistol. Comes with an extended slide release, extended mag release for fast reloads and a 3.5 pound trigger! You'll be very happy!

pennys dad
08-20-2009, 9:15 PM
Hmm, Glock sounds good, I have 2 now. My Glock 17 is 21 years old :) works perfect

08-20-2009, 9:19 PM
What style of competition shooting where you thinking off?

If it's IPSC, then the Glock 17 will be perfect for Production division.

08-20-2009, 9:24 PM
some springfield 1911s are very nice

08-20-2009, 9:28 PM
What style of competition shooting where you thinking off?

bulls eye? IPSC? cowboy?

pennys dad
08-20-2009, 9:49 PM
I saw the posting for steel madness: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214462
I went to the site and they are talking about classes and shoots. I thought it might be fun to try it out.

08-20-2009, 9:57 PM
Yes, Steel Madness is usually on Sundays at Norco.
I shoot that as well. Good practice for steel.

But we normally shoot IPSC at the same range every Saturday.
Here's the site, You might want to check this out as well:

08-20-2009, 10:04 PM

Here's a video of the actual match at Steel Madness.

pennys dad
08-20-2009, 10:22 PM
that looks awesome. interesting to see most the shooters carried iron sight pistols.

08-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes, you can shoot any pistol or shotgun you like from Open Race guns to limited division guns " regular handguns"
The scoring is different from each division. Just bring about 200 rounds, holster, magazines, mag pouches and plenty of Gatoraide!

08-21-2009, 9:37 AM
that looks awesome. interesting to see most the shooters carried iron sight pistols.

Penny's Dad-

I shoot at Norco (USPSA) almost every weekend. I would say a majority of the shooters use iron sighted pistols. This means, Limited, Lim-10, Single Stack, and Production. The only people who use optics are in the Open Division.

The rules are setup where depending on what type of gun/gear you use, you're only competing against people in that division.

That said, if you're starting out, I would really recommend shooting what you have. There's no need to go out and buy anything special to compete with. The PRODUCTION Division in USPSA/IPSC is essentially for 'stock', off the shelf, pistols. Your G17 would fit in very nicely. You'll want to bring the basic things like eyes/ears/200 rounds of ammo/holster/4-5 magazines/mag carriers (4)/belt. Some of the things like holsters and magazine carriers can be borrowed (i believe) but you'll definitely need to bring your own ammo and gun :)

Norco on saturdays is run by the NRG guys (Dennis, Jimmy, JoJo..) They welcome new shooters by providing both help and loaner gear. It's sometimes daunting to get thrown right into the mix if you're new, but they definitely try to support you if you're just starting out. Ask for Dennis or tell any of the guys running it that you're new and that you wanna participate.

08-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Or you can ask Voo about "our thing." ;)

(We sometimes rent a bay at Burro Canyon and run USPSA-style shoots. Less formal than an official match. Good way to get your feet wet. :))

08-21-2009, 4:53 PM
cant go wrong with a glock....

08-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Where's the Glock?