PDA

View Full Version : How reliably will an SU-16CA feed/extract cheap ammo?

TonyNorCal
05-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Thinking very seriously of getting an SU-16CA...not many options for autoloading .223s and I have decided I should have one http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

How reliably will these feed/extract cheap ammo...such as Wolf and military surplus? Can they handle lacquer cased stuff?

Also...how well do they actually work with AR mags?

I've read some with Kel-Tec handguns need to polish and tweak and sometimes send back to the factory to make things right. Wondering if the SU-16CA will just work out of the box.

Thanks

Ducati748r
05-17-2005, 1:02 PM
I'm not sure about how the SU-16CA will work with surplus ammo..I don't have a su-16 myself. But if you can, avoid wolf ammo..I've heard some bad things about that particular brand..not very accurate..some feed issues with some guns..spent powder stinks to high heaven..etc.,etc. Spend a little more and get better quality ammo. If it's surplus..go for NATO made stuff, I hear the quality is better. South African and Israeli (IMI) is supposed to be good too. Avoid the dirt cheap ammo..not worth it in my opinion.

Cazach
05-17-2005, 1:14 PM
AR mags work fine (as long as it is a good mag) I have some beaters that will feed the SU perfectly.

My buddy put about 200 rounds of Wolf through his Alpha a few weeks ago without a hiccup.

Check the link below, you will see a few different opinions. YMMV

http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1065

bwiese
05-17-2005, 1:23 PM
Wolf ammo is not terrible ammo actually. It's a tad less accurate, on average, than other bulk 223, but for iron sights plinking it's fine. It's a tad dirtier too for cleanup.

I've used over 1000 rounds of Wolf in several of my ARs with zero problems - in Colt and Bushmaster uppers, and even in an old J&T upper with an unchromed bore/chamber.

My cousin shoots it out of his Ruger Mini14 with no problems either.

People complaining about Wolf ammo operation in their ARs likely have other problems in their AR (tight non-milspec chamber along with a non-chrome-lined barrel, combined with poor lubrication): it's just barely configured/ operating properly and Wolf may throw it over the edge.

I'd much rather shoot Wolf than S&B or Olympic ammo or the Guatemalan (?) 223.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

TonyNorCal
05-17-2005, 2:03 PM
I've enjoyed shooting Wolf out of my SKS. Granted, it isn't match quality. I have had failures to fire...as many as 1 in 10 for 1 series of boxes, but maybe I got a bad batch or maybe my firing pin has issues.

Bottom line, if I had to go to shootout and my life was on the line would Wolf be my first choice? No.

But for plinking around is it sufficient? Absolutely. Part of the fun of plinking is not spending a great deal doing so.

05-17-2005, 4:16 PM
Originally posted by Tony:
Thinking very seriously of getting an SU-16CA...not many options for autoloading .223s and I have decided I should have one http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

How reliably will these feed/extract cheap ammo...such as Wolf and military surplus? Can they handle lacquer cased stuff?

Also...how well do they actually work with AR mags?

I've read some with Kel-Tec handguns need to polish and tweak and sometimes send back to the factory to make things right. Wondering if the SU-16CA will just work out of the box.

Thanks

I am also thinking about this rifle and would be interested in this info.

C.G.
05-17-2005, 8:43 PM
Wondering if the SU-16CA will just work out of the box.
With the exception of the plastic mags, which Kel-Tec replaced, my SU-16A worked just fine out of the box. I would stock up on Bushmaster mags, they work the best out of any other I tried. Also, the SU-16A has cheap sights, but that is improved on the 16CA. The cheapest ammo I've used is some second rate Miwall stuff, which was cheap, dirty and inaccurate, but worked fine. I haven't heard anything bad about surplus NATO 5.56, you might want to give that a try.

railroader
05-17-2005, 11:52 PM
I have used wolf and barnaul in my su-16. The wolf worked fine. With the barnaul the 55gr fmj worked fine but I also had some 62gr hp's that gave the rifle fits, lots of stuck cases. Mark

Stevil
05-18-2005, 8:51 PM
Barnaul was at the center of suspicion in the only SU-16 catastrophic failure I know of. Don't use it... potentially it's not worth the savings.

I've found Federal Mil-surp XM 193 5.56 NATO an excellent choice.