PDA

View Full Version : HD pistol with light and night sights?

asnlady
08-20-2009, 1:07 PM
If you have a pistol light on your pistol do you also need night sights? What do you guys think?

samuraishot
08-20-2009, 1:25 PM
I've heard that night sights are still recommended in case the pistol light fails or breaks. The night sights will be sort of a back up.

Shawn L
08-20-2009, 1:28 PM
I use both cause sometimes I don't want to turn on my light.

savasyn
08-20-2009, 1:48 PM
I definitely prefer having night sights on my HD gun. I recently added a light as well, but I don't see myself ever not having NS.

Sam
08-20-2009, 1:52 PM
Two is one and one is none.

ZRT650
08-20-2009, 1:55 PM
for HD i would definitely have night sights. as Sam said two is one and one is none.

jptsr1
08-20-2009, 1:58 PM
I prefer to have the light separate. If I’m responding to a “bump in the night” I can keep the pistol at the low ready and still shine the light on whatever I'm confronting. Id rather not walk barrel first into a downstairs room only to discover my drunk cousin grabbing a snack. As far as the night sights go there usefulness is neither dependent or reliant on a mounted light. They are valuable in lots of different situations where a light is not needed (low light for instance).

sholling
08-20-2009, 2:00 PM
In my opinion night sights are a must have and a weapon mounted light just an option. You should be sweeping the room looking for bad guys with a hand held flashlight not your weapon.

Sam
08-20-2009, 2:48 PM
I prefer to have the light separate. If I’m responding to a “bump in the night” I can keep the pistol at the low ready and still shine the light on whatever I'm confronting. Id rather not walk barrel first into a downstairs room only to discover my drunk cousin grabbing a snack. As far as the night sights go there usefulness is neither dependent or reliant on a mounted light. They are valuable in lots of different situations where a light is not needed (low light for instance).

There is plenty of spill from my surefire attached light when I point it at the ground to illuminate the room I'm in and then some.

aplinker
08-20-2009, 2:59 PM
In my opinion night sights are a must have and a weapon mounted light just an option. You should be sweeping the room looking for bad guys with a hand held flashlight not your weapon.

I was about to freak until I read your 2nd sentence. ;)

Having a light is most important. Having it weapon mounted is nice. Keep in mind you're sweeping anything you point the light at - like your family members' rooms.

Having NS is nice, but there will never be a time you're taking a shot (and using sights) where you wouldn't be able to see your sights (or you obviously don't know your target and what's behind it). They simply make this operation faster - as the glow makes alignment quicker.

All this is to say - make damned sure you have a light. :D

drunktank
08-20-2009, 3:01 PM
I like owning both. Obviously, different situations call for different measures. I personally prefer my handheld surefires or maglight for MY house. When camping though, I prefer a mounted light/laser for 4 legged critters along with a handheld.

!@#$
08-20-2009, 3:23 PM
There is plenty of spill from my surefire attached light when I point it at the ground to illuminate the room I'm in and then some.

atleast someone knows how to use a mounted light.

jptsr1
08-20-2009, 5:02 PM

That's what i thought as well but when i tried it it didn't work. Maybe for you and maybe for the rooms in your house it will. In my living room you don't get enough light from a safe low and ready position to light up the room sufficiently. By that i mean i wouldn't be able to tell my brother from any other 6 foot 4 black guy in a dark jacket and ball cap if he were across my living room. Then there's the hallways. No way i could identify my target without pointing my weapon at him if he were standing at the other end of either hallway in my house and i was using a rail mount. I'm not bashing rail mounted lights, just saying I'm not comfortable with them. Ive got a surefire and a siglight for when I'm pretending to be the Terminator at the range. For real life however its my P220 and a Nitrolon in my off hand.

oldvanhalenrules
08-21-2009, 8:20 AM
I was about to freak until I read your 2nd sentence. ;)

Having NS is nice, but there will never be a time you're taking a shot (and using sights) where you wouldn't be able to see your sights (or you obviously don't know your target and what's behind it). They simply make this operation faster - as the glow makes alignment quicker.

Agree with Uclaplinker. "Night sights" is kind of a misnomer, since they really should be called "low light sights". If you're really in the goo (completely dark situation) they will do you no good. You have to have at least enough ambient or shooter-supplied (flashlight/weaponlight) to be able to identify the target and put the front site on that target. Tritium just makes acquiring a good sight picture that much easier.

Hope that is helpful.

SCMA-1
08-21-2009, 8:33 AM
Agree with Uclaplinker. "Night sights" is kind of a misnomer, since they really should be called "low light sights". If you're really in the goo (completely dark situation) they will do you no good. You have to have at least enough ambient or shooter-supplied (flashlight/weaponlight) to be able to identify the target and put the front site on that target. Tritium just makes acquiring a good sight picture that much easier.

Hope that is helpful.

Agree. White light is necessary for positive ID before shooting. Can also be used offensively for blinding/stunning subject. White lights also have the effect of backlighting your irons sights so that sight alignment is a non-issue when your light is engaged. As already mentioned, night sights only allow you to align your sights better in low/no lighting; without white light for positive ID, you run the risk of an unintended shooting. Night sights IMO/IME is a non-critical accessory where as the flash light is absolutely critical to indoor environments.

SCMA-1

sholling
08-21-2009, 8:59 AM
That's what i thought as well but when i tried it it didn't work. Maybe for you and maybe for the rooms in your house it will. In my living room you don't get enough light from a safe low and ready position to light up the room sufficiently. By that i mean i wouldn't be able to tell my brother from any other 6 foot 4 black guy in a dark jacket and ball cap if he were across my living room. Then there's the hallways. No way i could identify my target without pointing my weapon at him if he were standing at the other end of either hallway in my house and i was using a rail mount. I'm not bashing rail mounted lights, just saying I'm not comfortable with them. Ive got a surefire and a siglight for when I'm pretending to be the Terminator at the range. For real life however its my P220 and a Nitrolon in my off hand.
I agree with you. These just isn't enough spill from my weapon light (TLR1) to see well enough when the handgun is in the low ready. That doesn't make weapons lights useless for a civilian but in my opinion it's a supplement to a handheld flashlight.

MarioS
08-22-2009, 1:31 AM
I would say you certainly should invest in a set of night sights also. The stock sights with a light gives you enough sight view to get a good shot off but you won't have that light on all the time; that would just give away your position. Some would argue that a handheld light is smarter for HD since you can hold it up and away from you and have more freedom of movement as to where you want the beam to go rather than having a weapon mounted light that goes where you aim the weapon. I guess that's unrelated but yes, I would definitely get night sights in anticipation that you may have to take a shot without the light, in the dark.

RollingCode3
08-22-2009, 1:45 AM
I use both cause sometimes I don't want to turn on my light.

This.. I have both on my HD gun.