PDA

View Full Version : Target Masters in Milpitas

code33
02-11-2005, 9:50 PM
Was at the range today and the guy that helped me mentioned that in a few months, all the stalls will be replaced. After that, rapid fire and double tapping will be allowed.

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
02-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Good. Now only if they could train their staff.

CraigC
02-12-2005, 2:40 AM
Now if only they's stop letting the yahoos on the range, maybe I would go when I'm in town....

bigmax
02-12-2005, 8:55 AM
If they are going to allowed rapid fire and double tap You will be see a lot more yahoos, that don't know what they are doing. Good Luck

Turbinator
02-12-2005, 9:27 AM
Maybe if they run it as Reed's does - rapid fire and double taps ONLY if you've taken a training course from them? That would help weed out the unsafe shooters..

Turby

PressCheck
02-12-2005, 9:31 AM
http://calguns.net/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=888602736&f=5986098711&m=50710712911&r=35010732911#35010732911

wolfgunner
11-02-2005, 2:22 AM
I stopped shooting there because the lanes and the lighting was so bad and at one time I had a discount card but gave that up. .Still a good store they do not mind you just looking at this or that if they have time. If all stores would do this they would make more money, I may look and not buy 8 out of 10 times but those 2 well make up for it. The Last two were a 1 of 500 Winchester 1892 45lc and I have a few more days to wait on a D-Day commemorative M1 Garand. They had a flyer of the M1 in the window and I asked if they would bring it out even though I did not intend to buy it, they did and I deiced it need to come home after all :rolleyes:

bountyhunter
11-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Was at the range today and the guy that helped me mentioned that in a few months, all the stalls will be replaced. After that, rapid fire and double tapping will be allowed. Sure, they are going to spend all that money at a range that won't even keep the 25 yard target lights working....... don't hold your breath.

bountyhunter
11-02-2005, 11:16 AM
If they are going to allowed rapid fire and double tap You will be see a lot more yahoos, that don't know what they are doing. Good Luck I am not so scared of getting shot by a dufus on the range there as I am of getting caught in the crossfire of a gang war. They get some genuinely ugly class of people there.

tpliquid1
11-02-2005, 11:21 AM
i'll be a yahoo shooting rapid fire there fo sho homie

24thMED
11-02-2005, 12:43 PM
The last time I was there(about 8 months ago), the individual two lanes down from me was "practicing" with a 12 gauge pump. Everytime he backed away or approached the lane he swung the barrel of that 12 guage in my direction. I asked him nicely to keep it pointed up or down, just not at me. He just laughed at me. There was a guy in there with him, an employee that kept telling me, it's not loaded, he just needs to re-load. I did talk to the people behind the counter as I was leaving. I don't know if anything has changed but that and with the condition of the lanes, I haven't been back since.

johnny_22
11-02-2005, 3:06 PM
New ventilation for the shorter bays. No lighting or ventilation improvement on the A (long) bay. I was there at lunch time today. Yes, most of the clerks at Reeds are nicer, but, TargetMasters has some good people behind the counter.

What I like most is that Milpitas' finest practices there. You'll be practicing right next to an officer with a holster drawing and firing. It's good to compare: most of his shots were low at 22.5 yards; just like mine. We both need more range time.

The leaky roof and the small fires at the backstop make it an exciting place to practice. I have never had a problem with others on the line. Happy hours (13:00 to 16:00) are only $5. 2004 Super Shooter card is still honored ($8).

Turbinator
11-02-2005, 10:22 PM
What I like most is that Milpitas' finest practices there. You'll be practicing right next to an officer with a holster drawing and firing. It's good to compare: most of his shots were low at 22.5 yards; just like mine. We both need more range time.

I think I've told this one before, but it's appropriate to repeat it here.

Was there before when a gentleman took a G27 out of a fanny pack to do some practice. He was doing 2 to the chest, 1 to the head drills. Midway through his practice, the target hanger came crashing down, bringing all of the activity to a halt - this was in the long bay section. As I was right next to the guy, he looked over at me, I looked at him, and told him that he probably needed to go tell the staff about what happened. It was apparent what had happened - his headshots were too high and were hitting the target hanger. One shot finally hit the cable, which broke it, and caused the target hanger to come down. Staff came in, moved the guy to another lane, where he finished up his practice.

As we were both packing up, he put his G27 back in his fanny pack and was about to leave. I commented that he must have had a CCW, since who else could legally go around like that? Sure enough, he told me that he was a highway patrol officer.

Ever since then, I've always figured that most of them probably need more practice..

Turby

50 Freak
11-03-2005, 12:20 AM
You guys should go to Jackson Arms. Staff there is pretty nice. Strict at first but after a few visits and they see you around enough. They kinda figure you're not going to shoot up their range. So they give you a little "space".

I practice rapid fire and draw from my holster there all the time. I usually bring my 9mm FAL and practice quick shots and they never give me hassle. But at the same time, I'm not pushing their limits like trying to emptying the 30 rounder in 10 seconds.

joel1316
11-03-2005, 8:05 AM
I used to go to Jackson Arms years ago..... After a while, they did "loosen" up at let me do "controlled rapid fires". Shooting fast is always a blast and brings a smile to your face.

ldivinag
11-03-2005, 3:35 PM
ditto the "looser" rules at jackson arms. but this was before the owner left for freer arizona a couple years ago.

what stopped me from going to targetmasters is their lack of consistent rules.

once, i was alone, i asked if i can double tap.

one guy said yes.

so next time i was there, i asked another person and he laughed at me.

F that... never went shooting there again...

82a1
11-03-2005, 4:16 PM
Personally, I prefer going to Reed's Indoor Range, as they have friendly/knowledgeable staff, allow slugs to be shot (Target does not), and it's close to where I live. Target Masters is only a little farther away, but I usually find their staff to not have very good people skills, and don't know much about firearms. I'll only go there now if there's a firearm I really want to get, but I doubt I'll use their indoor range again.

tpliquid1
11-04-2005, 9:13 AM
Personally, I prefer going to Reed's Indoor Range, as they have friendly/knowledgeable staff, allow slugs to be shot (Target does not), and it's close to where I live. Target Masters is only a little farther away, but I usually find their staff to not have very good people skills, and don't know much about firearms. I'll only go there now if there's a firearm I really want to get, but I doubt I'll use their indoor range again.

yea~!!! and reeds is bigger and cleaner looking too! plus they sell cool tactical AR parts!!

Brass Balls
11-04-2005, 2:52 PM
I like TM in Milpitas. The lighting needed improvement, but the ventilation has always been the best I've experienced and now it's even better in B & C. Fortunately I've been shooting there long enough that they let me shoot in C bay and do holster work and rapid fire. On top of that they generally have a real good handgun selection.

82a1
11-04-2005, 5:52 PM
yea~!!! and reeds is bigger and cleaner looking too! plus they sell cool tactical AR parts!!

Yeah, and unlike TM, they usually have a good selection of red-dot type sights (EOTechs, Aimpoint, etc.) and high-end scopes. Another cool thing about Reed's is that they offer tactical pistol and shotgun classes. Also, I like the classical music they play in the store, as it appears to have a calming effect over some of those aggressive looking shooters.:D

Inoxmark
11-04-2005, 10:58 PM
TM is a good place to do PPT. No nonsense, no junk fees, no stupid rules about locking cases, etc. A couple of sales people there seem to have problem finding "9mm Luger" among the calibers on the DROS form ;)
They are a little obsessed with the size of your target, but they must have a good reason to be.

PressCheck
11-05-2005, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE= Fortunately I've been shooting there long enough that they let me shoot in C bay and do holster work and rapid fire. [/QUOTE]

They also let me do this. I bring my own SEB targets, and they have no problems with me making head shots.

Turbinator
11-05-2005, 12:18 PM
They also let me do this. I bring my own SEB targets, and they have no problems with me making head shots.

PressCheck - what's your avatar picture? It looks rather nasty.

Turby

bassplayrr
11-05-2005, 12:48 PM

Turby

There is a limited amount of info about that photo at the link below WARNING! It is pretty graphic. The squeamish probably won't want to click on the link.

Gore Warning! http://www.snopes.com/photos/gruesome/greenzone.asp Gore Warning!

-Chris

PressCheck
11-05-2005, 1:54 PM

Turby

Would you like me to remove it?

Turbinator
11-05-2005, 2:43 PM
Would you like me to remove it?

Nope. If you like it, more power to you. :) Doesn't offend me, but it looks, well, rather nasty!

I think most of us are curious about gore, which is why we are strangely attracted to images of death and destruction. I think I will, however, refrain from clicking on the link provided by bassplyr.

Turby

hkfooey
11-11-2005, 3:48 PM
I agree – after Bill started running the place (owner’s son), the place started going downhill – it was about a year ago.

I used to go there during lunch time with buddies from work – the attitudes from the new employee there are so bad – we just give up and go to Reeds instead. :mad:

Most of the guys who used to work there are now gone (100%) – they told me that Bill (currently owner) treat them like sh%t.

I don’t even go there anymore (neither range time nor purchase pistol), either Reeds during lunch time or San Leandro range (by Davis street dump site) or Chabot club in Castro. :)

tpliquid1
11-11-2005, 4:44 PM
yea reeds is cool. bigger and better lighting

PressCheck
11-12-2005, 3:35 PM
I agree – after Bill started running the place (owner’s son), the place started going downhill – it was about a year ago.

I used to go there during lunch time with buddies from work – the attitudes from the new employee there are so bad – we just give up and go to Reeds instead. :mad:

Most of the guys who used to work there are now gone (100%) – they told me that Bill (currently owner) treat them like sh%t.

I don’t even go there anymore (neither range time nor purchase pistol), either Reeds during lunch time or San Leandro range (by Davis street dump site) or Chabot club in Castro. :)

I found just the opposite. I think the place is MUCH better.

Brass Balls
11-13-2005, 7:27 PM
I found just the opposite. I think the place is MUCH better.

When Bill took over the business (btw his father didn't die, I know this because I know Bill's sister and brother in law) there was some tension and for good or bad there was, over a period of a few months, a clean sweep of the old employees. However I do think that if you were there during that time and were turned off, it's worth one more chance to see how things are operating there now.

The paperwork is much more organized than it ever was before and the new employees are getting their feet wet and becoming better at assisting customers and answering questions. On top of that they are investing a lot of money to improve the shooting bays.

johnny_22
11-14-2005, 3:38 PM
Finally TargetMasters West put up something new:

http://targetmasterswest.com

Oddly, "www.thegunplace.com" is also up.

wolfgunner
11-17-2005, 2:43 AM
Go and see Paul he works at night and I trust his opinion

johnny_22
12-19-2005, 1:56 PM
A-bay is closed right now. New "snail-horn" type bullet traps are going in. The 25 Yard bay will be closed for about 2 weeks. B and C bays are open (16.66 yards NOT 14 yards).

edited for proper yardage.

50 Freak
12-19-2005, 2:16 PM
I think 50 Freak needs to bring back his "old" avatar to balance the universe

I wish I could. But Admin asked that I be more "sensitive" to the other members. :(

Red Flag
12-19-2005, 2:45 PM

Turby

That would be a terrorits in Iraq that got to meet a sniper. Looks worse when the image is bigger :eek:

Ewwwwwwww........

Chris

Brass Balls
12-19-2005, 4:02 PM
A-bay is closed right now. New "snail-horn" type bullet traps are going in. The 25 Yard bay will be closed for about 2 weeks. B and C bays are open (14 yards).

I thought that B & C were 17 yards, or 50'. Could be wrong, it's happened before. Yes, really it has. :)

johnny_22
12-19-2005, 4:46 PM
Should have looked it up rather than estimating. Thank you.

gose
12-19-2005, 7:12 PM

I'm just moving into the area and had the weekend "off" to do some scouting, so of course I went to Reed's and Target Masters. ;) Unfortunately I was alone (didnt have all my paperwork with me either) so I couldnt try out the ranges.

However, I experienced the very opposite. The staff at TM were much more friendly then the ones at Reed's. I was perfectly honest at both places saying that I was just moving into the area and couldnt buy anything for a while, the guys at RM were still very friendly and showed me around, whereas the guy at Reed's just turned his back on me and went the other way when he found out.

I spend quite a lot on my shooting each year and judging from the experiences from this weekend, I doubt much of that will end up beeing spent at Reed's.

Customer Service shouldn't only be about caring for your customers, it should also be about caring about potential customers.

Jon
12-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Gose, that's unfortunate that you received that reception at Reed's. I hope you give them another chance.

Note: I do not and have not worked for Reed's.

NRAhighpowershooter
01-11-2006, 3:09 PM
Last time I shot at TM was about 15 years ago... was in the evening and there were all the usually gangbanger wannabes.(pants halfway down to their knees.. cap sideways.....etc..etc.. told the guy at the counter I wanted to practice rapid fire in the long bay.. he told me I had to be checked out.. I just showed him my NRA classsification card.. that took care of that.. but the careless attitudes towards gun handling by the other shooters made it NOT fun to shoot there.......I now just shoot at Davis St. in the eveings or when they open in the mornings and Chabot on Mondays and reserve Range 4 or 5.. and Richmond after shooting a HP match....

ghostrider4evr
01-11-2006, 3:31 PM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where Jackson Arms is moving to?

phish
01-11-2006, 4:56 PM
TM has been a revolving door in terms of management. I haven't been there in +6 years in terms of shooting (did stop by today for the cheapo lock!)

I do like going to San Leandro since they're open until 9 pm, and since a lot of cops go there, it keeps the gang-banger element down to a minimum.

MaceWindu
01-11-2006, 5:30 PM
However, I experienced the very opposite. The staff at TM were much more friendly then the ones at Reed's. I was perfectly honest at both places saying that I was just moving into the area and couldnt buy anything for a while, the guys at RM were still very friendly and showed me around, whereas the guy at Reed's just turned his back on me and went the other way when he found out.

Reeds Indoor Range has a guy working there named "Justin" who is the most "uptight, anal-retentive little meat whistle" you'd ever want to meet. Eric, Russ, and Walt Raunch (Sp?) are really cool though...

Mace

Sgt Raven
01-11-2006, 7:54 PM
Reeds Indoor Range has a guy working there named "Justin" who is the most "uptight, anal-retentive little meat whistle" you'd ever want to meet. Eric, Russ, and Walt Raunch (Sp?) are really cool though...

Mace

Mace is "Justin" the one with the buzz cut?

Turbinator
01-14-2006, 5:05 PM
Thanks for posting the TM updates. I'll have to go check it out as I was there probably mid last year 2005 doing a PPT, and it still hadn't changed too much from the old days. If it's getting better, bravo for them.

Turby

svenu
01-15-2006, 12:40 PM

I think I met this guy... ex military? Has a chip on his shoulder about President Bush? Maybe he drank too much NorCal tap water.

MaceWindu
01-15-2006, 12:56 PM

No, Justin is a younger looking guy who works the register/ front desk when you walk in. White, mid 20's.....he is just a pr*ck. No doubt. I was there shooting with a buddy about a week ago and he was just as "anal" as can be.

I will never drop another dime in there. A very "Elitest" attitude from some guys who stand behind a desk all day.

Too bad, Walt, Eric and Russ are very cool. But that "turd" Justin just grates on my nerves....

Mace

bonjing
01-15-2006, 1:12 PM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where Jackson Arms is moving to?

if i was told correctly they will be moving a few miles down around the airport costco, they said it was on Utah or something like that. rumor has it too that you will be allowed to shoot 223 yesi said 223 and the range will be even longer about 25 yrds or so.

Pablo
01-16-2006, 3:20 PM
if i was told correctly they will be moving a few miles down around the airport costco, they said it was on Utah or something like that. rumor has it too that you will be allowed to shoot 223 yesi said 223 and the range will be even longer about 25 yrds or so.

I have never hear that before but hey if they let us shoot .223, I guess it's good news! I might as well ask next Wednesday to give me some info about this.

johnny_22
01-26-2006, 2:12 PM
With the new stops, no more shooting at less than approxmately 10 yards. Targemasters has turned off the lights that are closer than the distance needed for the traps to catch lead.

Unlike before there are edges between each lane at the bullet trap. I did my best to not hit those.

Air was moving well; made it a little cold inside today.

kurac
01-26-2006, 9:02 PM
Shooting is shooting, I don't care where its at as long as I am not getting rained on.

blakpuc
01-27-2006, 6:52 AM
I have never hear that before but hey if they let us shoot .223, I guess it's good news! I might as well ask next Wednesday to give me some info about this.

I heard the same thing from them, although it may have to be frangible ammo.Not sure of her name, but I think it was the owners wife that told me. She also said that the 3 rifle lanes may be longer than 25, like 50, but she wasn't sure. When I was there last week, they told me that it now looks like March before they'll move.

Turbinator
01-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Shooting is shooting, I don't care where its at as long as I am not getting rained on.

Easy to please, are you?

Turby

short_round
01-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Finally TargetMasters West put up something new:

http://targetmasterswest.com

Someone might want to tell them that "merchandice" is spelled "merchandise."

Target Masters West
02-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Was at the range today and the guy that helped me mentioned that in a few months, all the stalls will be replaced. After that, rapid fire and double tapping will be allowed.

The range has replaced all 17 lane's target traps and is working on many other repairs. There are no planes to replace the shooting lane dividers at this time.

Rapid fire and double tapes “ARE” allowed for qualified individuals like police officers and individuals having passed a qualified training class. The problem with rapid fire and double tapes is that the many new shooters and experienced ones can't keep the rounds in the center of the target while rapid firing and shoot up the target carriers, ceiling and walls. It is not the qualified shooter we are concerned with - it is the unskilled copy-cats.

We have to maintain safety and facility integrity (ceiling plating, ventilation equipment, and lighting) - the policy of “NO RAPID FIRE OR DOUBLE TAPES” will stand with the following current exceptions.

If you have badge showing while you are shooting, and can keep all the rounds in the 6-ring you can fire away. If you have a piece of paper that shows your skills - you can come down when it is not crowded (weekday mornings) and train. - Management

chickenfried
02-21-2006, 2:44 PM
Welcome to the forum TargetMasters,
Just a quick question/comment. Wouldn't patrons also get the boot or a warning for hitting things they're not supposed to if they shot slow fire? What's wrong with that also applying to rapid fire?

NRAhighpowershooter
02-21-2006, 4:19 PM
Will a security guard gun permit work for allowing rapid fire or double taps? or can I just show my NRA Master classification pistol card?