PDA

View Full Version : Snubnose 357 mag in SOB or shoulder holster descreet carry while hunting

smittty
08-19-2009, 7:54 PM
I don't have a holster for this gun and I'd like to carry it this fall while deer hunting. I normally carry my rifle on a sling on my right shoulder so I would like to keep my right hip free so that leaves cross draw, SOB or shoulder holster.

I don't really like cross draw plus I would like to keep my gun concealed under my shirt or jacket. What do you hunters like better, shoulder holster or small of back holster? If I get a shoulder holster it would be the Galco Classic Lite system.

Let the comments fly!

maxicon
08-21-2009, 8:23 AM
I always avoid SOB, due to the risk of a life-changing injury if you fall and land on the gun.

Lots of people don't care much for shoulder holsters, but I like them when circumstances call for them. The main problem is that they can be slower to get to if it's cold and you're all zipped up, especially if your sling is across your front and the jacket is zipped up. If your sling is just on the right shoulder, it's not as bad.

Holsters are a pretty personal thing, though, and you never know what'll work for you until you try a couple of systems out.

rivviepop
08-21-2009, 8:41 AM
weight could play a huge factor - what model of 357 snub are we talking about here? It's one thing to be carrying a S&W 686 and another if it's a S&W 340 airlight...

Trapper
08-21-2009, 8:44 AM
In the late 80's I ran a trap line and spent most of the day in a pair of chest waders. My 5 1/2" Single Six sat in a cheap uncle mikes shoulder holster, it was well protected and fairly comfortable.
Lately I've been carring a 3" model 66 in a bianchi hip holster with my rifle slung over my left shoulder.
What model and barrel length revolver will you be carring?

smittty
08-22-2009, 7:13 PM
The revolver is a 2" S&W model 60, prelock. It weighs about 25 ozs loaded. Beautiful little gun and accurate. These prelock smiths are gems!

Smitty

rivviepop
08-23-2009, 8:23 AM
With that little Chief's Special you could carry it almost anywhere, but I'd be tempted (based on your need) to carry it as a chest holster under your outer shirt, sort of like what Simply Rugged sells:

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/chesty_puller.html

This would seem like a great placement to keep it out of your way while you're getting up, sitting down, etc. during the hunt. Won't dig into your side or back after an hour or two sitting in one position, easily reachable (and with your small gun, concealable). The gun is light so you probably won't even notice it... my $0.02.

EDIT: here's a smaller version in kydex, butt up or down style too: (click on Chest Rigs on the lower right)
http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

B Strong
08-23-2009, 8:37 AM
I don't have a holster for this gun and I'd like to carry it this fall while deer hunting. I normally carry my rifle on a sling on my right shoulder so I would like to keep my right hip free so that leaves cross draw, SOB or shoulder holster.

I don't really like cross draw plus I would like to keep my gun concealed under my shirt or jacket. What do you hunters like better, shoulder holster or small of back holster? If I get a shoulder holster it would be the Galco Classic Lite system.

Let the comments fly!

For your needs, the shoulder rig would be the way to go.

I love J frame Smiths, they're a real nice gun to have around when something bigger is problematic.

A model 40 or 38 can be carried in a pocket quite easily, and if you think ahead you can set it up to be readily available.

Lucky Scott
08-23-2009, 3:03 PM
I carry a .38 snubnose so it is a little smaller than your .357.
I like the Unkle Mikes sidekick for the small of my back. However, I just got one of those pocket holsters that let you put the gun in your front pocket and it breaks up the profile so it does not look like a gun.
I really like it. Easy to get the gun in and out, the holster stays in the pocket and it just looks like you have a wallet or blackberry in your pocket.

riprap
08-23-2009, 3:19 PM
Appendix IWB (AIWB).