View Full Version : Orange County CCW in jeopardy?

08-04-2005, 10:26 PM

Might get tougher to obtain or renew CCW permit in Orange County, California after something like this?

08-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Well, the guy is kind of like a cop, not really a citizen with ccw. Besides even without the gun he still could've done major damage (dudes a blackbelt). http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

08-04-2005, 11:20 PM
I don't think it will really have much of an effect (affect?) on CCW. That guy was (I'm sure his status has changed today) Reserve Deputy. Carona is currently under the looking glass for his rewarding cronies and contributors with Reserve Deputy status. The state POST (Police Officers Standards Training ?) certification had a problem with this, since they aren't properly trained. Carona has gone to the wall for these guys, probably more than he should have. He now has a deal with POST that they can stay if the finish POST training (Former LA Chief Willie Williams never even finished this)
Reserve Deputies are real deputies, no real pay I think, but real badges and arrest powers.
A friend of mine was shot while a Garden Grove Reserve Deputy - that sucks - shot in the line of duty and wasn't even getting paid.
He survived and is now the Chief of Police in Vail.

08-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Here's some more on the incident

Golf game turns frightening for SR teacher
Orange County reserve deputy arrested, accused of pulling gun on Montgomery instructor
Having a gun pointed at him was the last thing Santa Rosa school teacher Marcelo Bautista expected to happen while playing golf, a game he enjoys for, among other things, its "etiquette."

But Bautista said that's exactly what happened July 31, when an Orange County sheriff's reserve deputy flashed his badge and pulled a gun on the 35-year-old Montgomery High School math teacher and allegedly threatened to kill him and his 61-year-old uncle for interfering with his game.

Reserve deputy Raymond K. Yi, 44, was arrested last week and charged with two felony counts of assault with a firearm and two felony counts of making criminal threats, officials said.

"You hear about things happening in other games, but never in golf," said Bautista, now back in Northern California following the eventful trip to Los Angeles.

The confrontation between Bautista and Yi started at the 13th hole of the North Course at Los Serranos Golf and Country Club in Chino Hills. Bautista said Yi, who was part of a separate golf party one hole behind Bautista, his uncle and two brothers, twice drove a golf ball into the group without any warning.

He said the second ball almost hit his uncle, Gustavo Resendiz, a 61-year-old semi-retired engineer. That's when Bautista said he took aim at Yi's golf ball and knocked it toward a nearby pond.

"I was upset," said Bautista. "Etiquette requires that you notify a golfer that a ball is coming your way. Nothing like that was done. It's a safety issue, an underlying rule of golf."

Bautista said Yi drove up in his golf cart and a dispute broke out. He said Yi, infuriated, told them "I'll be back. Stay here." Yi then raced back in his golf cart, flashing his badge and carrying a gun holstered in the front of his pants, said Bautista.

"He's yelling at me, 'Don't you know who I am,'" said Bautista, adding that Yi demanded he retrieve his ball.

"I reached into my pocket and I said, 'Here's a ball for you,' and tossed it into his cart ... He was yelling and screaming and cursing at me ... He asked me to pick it up and put it in his hand. There was no way I was going to go near him - he was upset and had a gun in his pants."

Bautista said that when he and his uncle got into their cart and started driving off, Yi drew his gun and yelled, "'Freeze, freeze.' I continued to drive and he said, 'I can kill you.' I could see the gun as I was driving away ... I had a sick feeling in my stomach as I was driving."

Yi, who operates two tae kwon do studios in Orange County and who is a martial arts expert, could not be reached for comment at either studio.

The San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office, which is investigating the case, refused to comment, saying only that Yi is scheduled to be arraigned Aug. 31.

Bautista said his brother Javier, 36, and someone from Yi's party tried to calm Yi while Bautista was fleeing in the golf cart.

But the altercation wasn't over.

"As I'm getting out of the cart, I reach for my putter in my bag. All of a sudden he's coming at me in his cart," he said. "I jumped out of the way, he almost hit me. He hit the brakes and his cart skidded."

When Resendiz, Bautista's uncle, stepped between Yi and Bautista to calm Yi, the reserve deputy turned his anger on the 61-year-old engineer.

"He ended up shoving my uncle," said Bautista. "At that point he pulled his gun out again. This time he cocks it and threatens my uncle."

Bautista and his uncle then got into their cart and drove to the pro-shop to report the incident. Yi was arrested by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department Aug. 1, the following day.

The Sheriff's Department would not comment, referring calls to the DA's office.

Bautista said he expects to be interviewed by the District Attorney's Office. With school only weeks away, Bautista said he will not travel south to hear the arraignment.

"My brothers and uncle will be there," he said.

09-01-2005, 9:06 AM
Yup this guy is a real moron. My brother just happens to be an OC Reserve Deputy. He said this guy was a Level 3, which I guess means he was not a full fledged officer. He's pretty much screwed, my brother also said that the only reason the DA is charging him with 2 felony counts of brandishing is because his CCW was expired.

50 Freak
09-01-2005, 9:46 AM
Wow, Makes us all look bad. What a nut job.

I hope he gets a heavy sentence. Jeez....