View Full Version : Taurus Revolver

Leon DeGamme
04-16-2005, 8:35 PM
I am considering replacing the chewed up extractor from my Taurus 607 revolver. Does anyone know how to take it off the firearm so i can replace it? I am not even sure how to remove the cylinder. I know its probably a "shot in the dark" but I figure ill try here first anyway. Taurus doesnt seem to have a e-mail address for customer support, so my next option is to call them.

04-16-2005, 10:24 PM

Taurus revolvers should disassemble fairly close to, if not exactly like, modern Smith & Wesson revolvers. So you should be able to find web info on that.

Use a PROPER hollow-ground screwdriver bit so you don't mar your finish or screw heads.

I think you loosen the front screw on the right side of gun; that should let the crane slide forward and separate the crane + cylinder from gun. And it's beena awhile but I think there's a screw inside ejector rod that lets you disassemble the cylinder, extractor star, etc. from crane.

As far as email: most gun companies don't have the resources to read & respond to email. Ruger, S&W, and Colt and other biggeies all have the same policy. They'd rather be contacted by formal written letter, or by calling their service dept. directly.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

04-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Send your Taurus back to the US service facility in Florida. They have a lifetime free service policy. Removing the extractor star is tricky. There is a flush fitting retaining ring under the star that must be pulled out with a very small hook tool. If you mess it up you will need to send it back in pieces and will likely be charged for the "newly installed feature"

Leon DeGamme
04-17-2005, 12:13 AM
There is nothing wrong with the revolver, it works perfectly. The warranty doesnt cover things like this because its not broken. This is something that looks ugly that I want replaced. I dont think I have the skills to do it myself, so I wonder if Taurus would do it for me for a fee.

04-17-2005, 5:54 PM
Call them by phone and explain how the extractor is all chewed up. If it has EVER failed to work tell them it has become unreliable (not a lie then). I'll bet they just change it for you. They told me, as a dealer, that when I get used Taurus firearms into inventory, to just send them back and the repair facility will go over them, replace whatever needs it, do a service and return same as factory certified. This came from them, not something I asked for.

Leon DeGamme
04-17-2005, 9:22 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. Once again you offer great advice. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I never like having to ship a firearm because of the hassle but I may not have a choice here.