View Full Version : CZ52 vs TT33

Rob Roy
08-19-2009, 9:06 AM
Which one would you recommend? Any tips where to get them in good condition in Bay Area?

08-19-2009, 4:02 PM
CZ 52. I really like the engineering that went into this pistol. I like the roller lock if for no other reason that it is different.. Most have better manufacturing QC than most Toks that I've seen including my Yugo variant.

08-19-2009, 4:06 PM
The problem with the roller lock is that they machined into the barrel at the chamber for roller clearance, and it makes the chamber walls uncomfortably thin in those areas.

Lots of people like their CZ52s, but I don't care much for mine. I've never had a TT33 to compare to.

Here's my standard post on the CZ52:

The CZ52 is fun, but not very practical. It's heavy, not very ergonomic, the grips are big and awkward, the sights are terrible, the trigger is poor, the ammo selection is limited, the firing pin breaks easily with dry-firing, and the firing pin block doesn't work when it's a little bit out of battery. Magazines are relatively expensive for such an inexpensive gun. Mine has a nasty trigger slap that makes my finger go numb, but not all of them do. Some magazines have a bad habit of spilling their guts and rounds at the shooter's feet in the middle of shooting.

On the plus side, they're cheap, easy to disassemble and clean, you can improve the grips with a Handall slip-on. They're loud, with nice muzzle flash (depending on the ammo), milsurp ammo is cheap (but corrosive). Much of the milsurp ammo has hard primers and requires a double-strike, but they're good for clearing exercises! The firing pin problems can be fixed with a replacement, which can also improve the trigger pull at the cost of reduced safety.

There's also quite a bit of doubt about the tribal knowledge of how strong the actions are, as there are semi-regular reports of one blowing up. There's a fellow on the 'net who likes to test guns to destruction, and he found the CZ52 chamber failed before the brass did, which is unusual. This is due to the area machined out around the chamber for roller clearance.

Mine's pretty much a safe queen these days, and an ugly one at that.

B Strong
08-19-2009, 4:08 PM
I've owned both, I sold the CZ and kept the Tok.

08-19-2009, 4:55 PM
I've owned both, I sold the CZ and kept the Tok.

this but i sold the tokarev too:(

the only gun i sold and missed.