PDA

View Full Version : Question to experts about SA Operator Full Rail

JerryM
08-19-2009, 1:05 AM
Hello guys,

I am getting a SA Full Railed Operator.

I've been searching all over the net, but cannot find any information about it.

I know that the TRP Model is the one that has the full rail.

The one I am purchasing does not have the TRP stamp on the slide.

Is the one I am getting an earlier model TRP or does SA indeed produced a full railed Operator that was not TRP?

Thanks to whomever answers,

Jerry.

leelaw
08-19-2009, 1:08 AM
SA originally had the "Operator" model. It was a full length dust cover with rail, and a slab-side slide. The TRP came later, and is available with the full length rail, or without.

Like this: http://www.sgcsecure.com/services/gunsmith/large/gs-operator-1.jpg

bin31z
08-19-2009, 1:31 AM
Off topic but these full railed TRP's or operators seem to be very popular and command a premium over the partial railed versions. What's the reason for this?

JerryM
08-19-2009, 1:34 AM
Thanks Leelaw!!!

bin31z...

Its for the Ninja factor. And I think because they are not made anymore (except for their custom shop).

Thanks guys!!!

bin31z
08-19-2009, 1:44 AM
It does look cool though. Very futuristic. I think I saw one in Blade Runner...:D

leelaw
08-19-2009, 1:48 AM
I have a full rail 1911 with slab-side slide and it's nice to have the extra weight up front - it balances nicely, ans results in lower felt recoil.

They probably command higher prices because they're a little bit of an oddity in the 1911 world, and old production.

bin31z
08-19-2009, 1:59 AM
The rail is just a dust cover right? The actual rails that the slide rides on the frame don't extend the full length of the gun right? can't tell from the pics. That would be cool if it did.

leelaw
08-19-2009, 2:03 AM
The accessory rails are just part of the dust cover, and not a continuation of the frame rails that mate with the slide rails. 1911 slides are generally not made to have the frame rails exit through the front of the slide, as would be required if the frame rails continued the entire length of the dust cover.

bin31z
08-19-2009, 2:07 AM
The accessory rails are just part of the dust cover, and not a continuation of the frame rails that mate with the slide rails. 1911 slides are generally not made to have the frame rails exit through the front of the slide, as would be required if the frame rails continued the entire length of the dust cover.

Yea, I didn't think so. That would be a totally proprietary slide assembly. I think if it did, it would add a tiny bit to accuracy and feel. I guess its almost the same as having a FLGR.