PDA

View Full Version : Mags for Colt Ace

2new
08-18-2009, 9:08 PM
Does anyone know of a source for extra mags for a Colt Ace? Originals seem to be expensive! Has anyone used Metalform mags? Do they work reliably? Hold the slide open on the last round? Thanks for any info.

GM4spd
08-19-2009, 6:19 AM
If you have an original Colt Ace or conversion unit you need to use original Colt mags for
reliable feeding and for "hold open" on the last round.They do cost more but were meant for use in that pistol. You
can find originals on Gunbroker.I don't know what metalforms cost but you can try
them and if they work for you,it's all ok. I have just used the Colt's because I
have seen them work since about 1970 thru thousands of rounds with no problems.Pete

http://www.fototime.com/786A8AC21D30C9D/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/F929786FACA9FC7/standard.jpg

B Strong
08-19-2009, 4:25 PM
GM is correct - no substitute for the factory Ace mags, and I was going to follow suit and post a pic of my Ace, but Imageshackwouldn't open for me.

Gryff
08-19-2009, 4:56 PM
Gunbroker auctions for them run $55-100. I would love to pick up a couple for my Ace, but that's too rich for me.

BTW, GM4spd --> is your Ace a stainless model originally, or is it refinished? I had mine re-done in a satin nickel finish back in the 1980s. Looks great, but I'm sure it causes a hit on the resale value. Doesn't matter, though, since I don't plan on selling the gun anytime soon.

GM4spd
08-19-2009, 6:29 PM
Gunbroker auctions for them run $55-100. I would love to pick up a couple for my Ace, but that's too rich for me.

BTW, GM4spd --> is your Ace a stainless model originally, or is it refinished? I had mine re-done in a satin nickel finish back in the 1980s. Looks great, but I'm sure it causes a hit on the resale value. Doesn't matter, though, since I don't plan on selling the gun anytime soon.

I wouldn't worry about resale of yours-- if the refinish is good, ANY Colt and especially an ACE holds their value much better then all
the other 1911 copies.
No refinish HERE--ORIGINAL Colt Electroless Nickel from 1981(with factory box and papers from Colt Custom Shop dated 09-09-81)---only 200
made! Pete

http://www.fototime.com/6F30F3D03036748/standard.jpg

2new
08-19-2009, 10:07 PM
GM that is a beauty! Come on B Strong show us a picture! I've seen the mags for sale on Gunbroker, reserve not met, buy now for only $125-$175! Ouch! It would be nice to have 5-10 mags, but at those prices, Im better off shoting 45 ACP!

GM4spd
08-20-2009, 5:59 AM
GM that is a beauty! Come on B Strong show us a picture! I've seen the mags for sale on Gunbroker, reserve not met, buy now for only $125-$175! Ouch! It would be nice to have 5-10 mags, but at those prices, Im better off shoting 45 ACP!

Curious why you need 5-10 mags???:confused: I can see a couple spares
for range work but beyond that? Now I see why the price is such a
factor! Here's a pic of my blued one that was sold to a fellow Calgunner!
Geez---that thing is a beauty--wish I could have kept it:(
Pete

http://www.fototime.com/9D9CD8388113C13/standard.jpg

2new
08-20-2009, 5:11 PM
GM4spd you sure have good taste! I should have picked up that Ace! It just feels right to load a full box (100 rounds) then have some fun (I thought Sig mags were expensive). I wonder what other goodies you have in the safe!

Bowser
08-20-2009, 5:49 PM
If you think original ace mags are expensive, try looking up the price for the pre-war ones with 2 tone coloring!

B Strong
08-20-2009, 6:31 PM
1982 Custom Shop Ace, electroless nickel, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5739/newcoltace.jpg

jazman
08-20-2009, 6:35 PM
GM4spd you sure have good taste! I should have picked up that Ace! It just feels right to load a full box (100 rounds) then have some fun (I thought Sig mags were expensive). I wonder what other goodies you have in the safe!

Hmmm...you may want to stay away from the 550 value packs! 55 mags would be a bit much, eh?:p

2new
08-20-2009, 9:08 PM
Hmmm...you may want to stay away from the 550 value packs! 55 mags would be a bit much, eh?:p

Ouch! Yeah, I'll stick with the mini mags(100 rounds). 55 Ace mags....I think there are laws against monopolies!

Timberland
08-21-2009, 7:33 AM
What about the the Argentinian colt clone. They made a very similar gun.

Mac Attack
08-21-2009, 7:43 AM
Over the years I have tried all sorts of mags for my Colt Ace conversion and none have worked as well as my old Colt Ace mags which say Colt on the bottom. I recently picked up a couple of original Ace mags on Calguns but they do not work as well as the one which came with my conversion unit.

I heard that metalform mags work well but haven't tried them myself because I only really need 2 mags. If you are in the market I would try one metalform mag....then let us know what you think.

GM4spd
08-21-2009, 7:53 AM
Over the years I have tried all sorts of mags for my Colt Ace conversion and none have worked as well as my old Colt Ace mags which say Colt on the bottom. I recently picked up a couple of original Ace mags on Calguns but they do not work as well as the one which came with my conversion unit.

I heard that metalform mags work well but haven't tried them myself because I only really need 2 mags. If you are in the market I would try one metalform mag....then let us know what you think.

I saw a "metalform" mag and it said "COLT .22 L.R."---I'm not sure how
they can legally do that, I guess the only way to verify a genuine COLT
is if the "Rampant" pony is present. Again if the Metalforms work,glad to
see them being made. Pete
http://www.fototime.com/76ADDF9401E1B95/standard.jpg

Mac Attack
08-21-2009, 8:04 AM
I can confirm this but I was told that Metalform was the supplier for the Colt Ace II conversions from back in the 80's. Not sure what the differences are between the standard Ace's and the Ace II's but I suspect the mags should be interchangeable.

I think Metalform mags are $45 each. This thread has peaked my interest enough to where I might purchase one just to check it out.