PDA

View Full Version : NOOB question: Kimber 1911 + Wolff Springs

dadoody
08-18-2009, 6:34 PM
Hi guys.

I've had my Kimber TLE/RL II for the past 6 months, and it's been a wonderful wonderful gun. Never a jam or fail to fire.

Now, it has an external extractor and I've read good and bad about it. A lot of people don't like it - but I'm keeping it until the hook part ever breaks. Then Kimber can help me turn it into an Internal Extractor, but until then, I'm keeping it external.

Anyways, I've always been cleaning by removing the slide and cleaning as much as I could that way, but I've finally hopped onto Youtube and followed directions on removing the extractor and firing pin. I'll be removing the trigger assembly soon for cleaning as well.

I think a little over 1000 rounds has been put through the gun, and I'm going to buy some springs to keep on hand for when I need to replace them.

I've bought a pack of Wolff extra power Kimber external extractor springs, and I think I will use them to replace the Kimber spring. I've heard that after 1500 rounds, the Kimber spring is weak and problematic, while the Wolff springs fix this.

I've also looked into getting the Recoil spring, the firing pin spring, and the mainspring. Kimber sells all 3 as a set, but I see that they're currently out of stock(!)

I'll look to see if Wolff makes these springs, but is it a good idea to stick to Kimber springs or is Wolff just as good?

I have a vague idea about the effects of differing springs - I know having higher or lower recoil springs depends on what I plan on shooting, and I know mainspring has a huge effect on trigger pull and possibly ignition problems if bad spring. I don't know what an ideal firing pin spring is.

I don't shoot +P rounds. I mainly shoot cheap Winchester White Box, UMC, and Winchester Ranger ammo. I'm thinking I'll stick to 16lb. recoil springs?

Any suggestions? and is Wolff really a quality spring company? Thanks.

PutTogether
08-18-2009, 7:08 PM
Every gun I buy - especially if I buy one used, gets all of it's springs switched out for Wolfs.

Springs are cheap enough that there isn't much reason or excuse for not buying multiples so you have spares, and buying a few different strengths for testing/tweaking if you are in to that kind of thing.

eldy
08-18-2009, 7:15 PM
Six months and only 1K rounds?!? Your original springs will last a lifetime! :)

jben
08-18-2009, 8:04 PM
Wolff springs are quality springs. I run them in all my 1911s.
But, as eldy said; you're a little premature worrying about changing springs at 1,000 rounds.

tiko
08-18-2009, 10:10 PM
:rofl2::rofl2:Six months and only 1K rounds?!? Your original springs will last a lifetime! :)

So 20 years only 40k rds, then replace the springs!

dadoody
08-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah? What's the average round count or time interval to be changing springs in a 1911?

PutTogether
08-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah? What's the average round count or time interval to be changing springs in a 1911?

I do it about once a year, year and a half.

bin31z
08-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Recoil springs should be changed every 2.5k rounds. If you are not shooting special loads and hardball only...get the standard 17lb recoil spring and 19lb mainspring. That'll be fine for all modern factory loads. You'll also want a normal strength firing pin spring replace around 3-4 K rounds. You need an extra strength firing pin spring for Series 70 style guns, but not for Kimbers since they have a firing pin safety.

B Strong
08-19-2009, 5:30 AM
Hi guys.

I've had my Kimber TLE/RL II for the past 6 months, and it's been a wonderful wonderful gun. Never a jam or fail to fire.

Now, it has an external extractor and I've read good and bad about it. A lot of people don't like it - but I'm keeping it until the hook part ever breaks. Then Kimber can help me turn it into an Internal Extractor, but until then, I'm keeping it external.

Anyways, I've always been cleaning by removing the slide and cleaning as much as I could that way, but I've finally hopped onto Youtube and followed directions on removing the extractor and firing pin. I'll be removing the trigger assembly soon for cleaning as well.

I think a little over 1000 rounds has been put through the gun, and I'm going to buy some springs to keep on hand for when I need to replace them.

I've bought a pack of Wolff extra power Kimber external extractor springs, and I think I will use them to replace the Kimber spring. I've heard that after 1500 rounds, the Kimber spring is weak and problematic, while the Wolff springs fix this.

I've also looked into getting the Recoil spring, the firing pin spring, and the mainspring. Kimber sells all 3 as a set, but I see that they're currently out of stock(!)

I'll look to see if Wolff makes these springs, but is it a good idea to stick to Kimber springs or is Wolff just as good?

I have a vague idea about the effects of differing springs - I know having higher or lower recoil springs depends on what I plan on shooting, and I know mainspring has a huge effect on trigger pull and possibly ignition problems if bad spring. I don't know what an ideal firing pin spring is.

I don't shoot +P rounds. I mainly shoot cheap Winchester White Box, UMC, and Winchester Ranger ammo. I'm thinking I'll stick to 16lb. recoil springs?

Any suggestions? and is Wolff really a quality spring company? Thanks.

Replace your recoil spring every 1000 rounds, use the standard 16lb unit.

I can't comment on the external extractor spring issue, all my 1911 types are traditional internal extractors, but I imagine you couldn't go wrong replacing them every 1000 rounds as well.

Firing pin springs and mainsprings last quite a bit longer than recoil springs. I would replace the FP spring at 5000, the mainspring at 10,000.

I have the TLE/RL with the internal extractor and have had 100% reliability so far with about 5K rounds of .45 and approx. 10K rounds of .22 LR through the Kimber .22 conversion kit.