PDA

View Full Version : bullet recommendation

asnlady
08-18-2009, 4:08 PM
Hello all, i'm the new owner of a glock 17 and first time firearm owner and i'd like a bullet brand recommendation. This is for home defense. What brands do you recommend? Which should I avoid?

ERdept
08-18-2009, 4:12 PM
Any name brand hollow point. All are essentially good.

Placement is key.

Just practice and load with any brand name HP.

Black Majik
08-18-2009, 4:14 PM
Congrats on your new 9mm.

There are many recommended defensive ammunition you can try.

Starting out,some brands to look into:

Speer Gold Dot
Federal HST
Winchester Ranger T-series
Remington Golden Saber
Corbon DPX

My personal choice for 9mm has been Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +p, but you'll get a wide range of recommended/favorite ammo. Good luck.

asnlady
08-18-2009, 4:15 PM
Any name brand hollow point. All are essentially good.

Placement is key.

Just practice and load with any brand name HP.

would i be ok just buying the cheapest hollow point? or can i assume the higher the price, the better the bullet is?

IPSICK
08-18-2009, 4:28 PM
Personal/home defense shouldn't be a let's get the cheapest choice. If you can, try out several different types and see which shoot best out of your gun and which ones you shoot best with. If you can not, I understand the importance of price and the brands and types Black Majik recommended are excellent choices. Choosing the most inexpensive of those suggestions would be a good option.

Mstnpete
08-18-2009, 4:29 PM
Stick with these brands for stopping power!
Speer Gold Dot
Federal HST
Remington Golden Saber
Corbon DPX
Federal Hydra Shocks
Double Tap ammo

The key thing is practice, practice, & practice.
For practice you can always use full metal jacket ammo.
Learn safety, how to shoot with both hands and with weak hand, learn to change mag while on the move, how to draw from a holster. How to acquire sight picture real fast.

If you really want to learn all of these and have fun at the same time: Please visit:

www.jvdynamics.com

Many women shooters shoot with us! And it's in Norco, CA. Here's Valerie shooting her Open Race gun : http://nrg.jvdynamics.com/nrg/G2Bridge/index.php?g2_itemId=33766

And Welcome to Calguns!
Peter

Hayashi Killian
08-18-2009, 4:29 PM
Price does not always correlate to quality. I can only think of one exception, that's the Federal HST (Hydra-Shok Two) round, which is generally pricier because of Federal's own rules of not selling it to non-LE. But if it's a named brand, it's fine. You may want to shop around at stores, Wally World and online to see who has the best bang for your buck. Generally large bulk-packs will net the highest savings.

Black Majik
08-18-2009, 4:30 PM
Price does not always correlate to quality. I can only think of one exception, that's the Federal HST (Hydra-Shok Two) round, which is generally pricier because of Federal's own rules of not selling it to non-LE. But if it's a named brand, it's fine. You may want to shop around at stores, Wally World and online to see who has the best bang for your buck. Generally large bulk-packs will net the highest savings.

If Wally World sold Federal HST I'd get banned off Calguns for hoarding. :D

Z ME FLY
08-18-2009, 4:38 PM
Stick with these brands for stopping power!
Speer Gold Dot
Federal HST
Remington Golden Saber
Corbon DPX
Federal Hydra Shocks
Double Tap ammo

Good info I like double tap and Fed. You can always go to walmart and buy the cheap Wally White Box 9mm ammo for practice. Make sure you run some HPs also.

Good luck and welcome to calguns!

AJD
08-18-2009, 6:11 PM
From Doc. Roberts:

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

You can read the complete article about defense ammo in the link above.

B Strong
08-18-2009, 6:54 PM
Hello all, i'm the new owner of a glock 17 and first time firearm owner and i'd like a bullet brand recommendation. This is for home defense. What brands do you recommend? Which should I avoid?

Personally, I prefer the old Winchester OSM 147 grain subsonic HP:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Fackler_Articles/winchester_9mm.pdf

As others have stated, bullet placement is more important than brand name.

Jonathan Doe
08-18-2009, 6:58 PM
Buy the best ammo you can find and afford. And, train enough so you can hit the target where it counts. FMJ and LRN bullets killed plenty of people in the history.

510shooter510
08-18-2009, 7:06 PM
wow, lots of info for you already.
Well, the last thing a guy is thinking when you point a gun at him is, "oh crap! what if he has hollowpoints!" lol.
But Speer Gold dots are fine defense rounds. They all kill, but if you can afford it, Gold dots are great.

Toolman
08-18-2009, 7:14 PM
Buy the best ammo you can find and afford. And, train enough so you can hit the target where it counts. FMJ and LRN bullets killed plenty of people in the history.

Well said...

I would ask if this is your first pistol purchase and how much pistol or revolver experience do you have. If not much or non at all, I wouldn't spend money just yet on home defense ammunition until you become familiar with the weapon, get some training and practice as much as you can afford $$ at the range using standard RN ammunition.

All the HP ammunition available will do the job placed well. Personally, I use / carry Federal HST and it feeds reliably in all my 9mm's including my 1911's.

Trapper
08-18-2009, 9:15 PM
Black Hills +P 115 and 124gr are reliable and accurate in my Glock 19 and Sig 226.

SCMA-1
08-18-2009, 9:55 PM
I typically carry Corbon 125gr JHP +P or Winchester Ranger T 127gr JHP +P+ in mine Glock 9mm's although any major manufacturer's premium defense ammunition should work just fine. Make sure you shoot enough through your gun to verify reliable functioning.

SCMA-1