PDA

View Full Version : How Is The Sale Of Replacement Magazine Bodies Legal In CA?

CHALCEDON
06-07-2005, 7:54 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but where is the written policy from the CA DOJ that permits the sale of replacement magazine bodies in California?

If the sale of magazine bodies is legal, what are the conditions or restrictions for those who purchase them?

bwiese
06-07-2005, 8:43 AM
There is no 'written policy'. We still (kinda) live in a free country: most of our laws in general (not just gun laws) tell what is banned/prohibited/restricted, not what's allowed.

CA law says hicap mags imported/acquired in CA after 1 Jan 2000 are illegal (with some exceptions for LEOs, specially licensed FFL dealers, etc.)

There's nothing in the law banning acquisition of or possession of individual replacement parts for hicaps, nor is there any ban on their repair.

(But I would be wary of having all the parts for a whole 'nuther complete disassembled magazine together at once.)

If you have a couple of mags that are screwed up (say, due to worn/bent feed lips) you can order/buy replacement bodies without permits, etc. Just remove the defective mag body(ies) and replace with your new bodies, using the rest of the original mag components.

If additional components fail on this mag (say, spring) they can be replaced too.

Key thing is to maintain the number of complete magazines you have, and not completely replace a mag all at once with a new complete mag (which was banned from being imported/acquired by you). And I wouldn't keep a complete mag's worth of spare parts around either.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Turbinator
06-07-2005, 9:48 AM
I have some old USA mags. I wonder if it technically would be legal to swap enough parts to convert the mag to fit another gun. I wouldn't be adding to my inventory of mags - I'd be removing one and transforming it into another. Now that I think about it, I guess CA DOJ wouldn't like this either. How lame.

Turby

bwiese
06-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Turby...

I think your "conversion" might not fly w/DOJ. Conversion way more than 'repair': you've essentially created a new magazine. You might be OK if the converted mag still runs in the original gun though.

There's some Federal precedent for this, too. Back when there was a FEDERAL hicap mag ban (as part of 94 AW Ban) BATF rules essentially said that to be a legal hicap magazine conversion, the hicap mag still had to function in the weapon for which it was originally designed. Thus, things like Armalite AR10 hicap mags formed from hicap M14 magazines still had to operate in M14/M1A guns even after the Armalite AR10 conversion.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
06-08-2005, 8:23 AM
If true, I think "loophole" discussions are best kept in private emails so the anti's don't read this! My suggestion is to delete this thread and keep some topics between FRIENDS! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bwiese
06-08-2005, 8:31 AM
Hoser...

These 'loopholes' are readily apparent in the law; anyone reading CPC 12020 can find this out.

The antis already feel they've covered the hicap issues and are moving on to even worse things (SB357 in particular).

Secrecy will not buy us anything. If possible, we should be "in their face" to let politicians know we're there..

Bill Wiese
San Jose