PDA

View Full Version : .50 with AW features after registration?

Josh
05-27-2005, 12:20 PM
I know you can not register a .50 cal if it is already an AW by feature or name. And if it already registered as an AW it does not need to be registered.

But if I register something like a fab10 as a .50 cal can I later make it a fully functioning AR because it would them be a registered AW.

Also could you make the mag on an M82A1 CA version detachable after it was registered?

bwiese
05-27-2005, 12:58 PM
This has been discussed here before in more detail and you might find some threads, bht the short list:

<LI> If you have an already-registered AW (say, an AR) you can legally add 50BMG functionality to it without any additional registration. In these cases, the 50BMG characteristic is just another 'evil feature' like a pistol grip, etc. Once a gun's a (legal) AW in CA there's no limit to the amount of 'evilness'.

<LI> With above exception noted, registration of 50BMGs is separate & distinct from AW registration: '50BMG-ness' is separate from being an AW. You can't take a 50BMG rifle , even when registered w/DOJ, and convert it into an (illegal) AW. That's going backwards: AW registration closed 12/31/00 (with 1/23/01 cutoff date for Kasler ARs and AKs).

So:
NO - you cannot make a FAB10 reg'd as 50BMG into a true AR.
NO - you cannot put a detach. mag on a reg'd M82A1.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Josh
05-27-2005, 3:04 PM
istration of 50BMGs is separate & distinct from AW registration: '50BMG-ness' is separate from being an AW. You can't take a 50BMG r

Well monkey noodels. Thanks for the information.