View Full Version : Out of State transfer Question?

08-17-2009, 6:16 PM
I have a relative in another state that has willed me a old ruger blackhawk in 41mag. It's not a direct relative. If I should own this some day in the future what do I have to do in order to bring it back to California legally?


08-17-2009, 6:47 PM
If the Ruger Blackhawk has a barrel length of 3" or greater, then the...
Executor of your out-of-state relative's estate ships the single-action revolver to your CA FFL dealer.
You goto your CA FFL dealer and DROS it.
10 days later, you pick it up and enjoy your inheritance.

Ruger Blackhawk is a single-action revolver.
If a single-action revolver has a barrel length of 3" or greater and OAL of 7.5" or greater, then it is exempt from approved list.

Penal Code 12133
(a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications:
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

08-17-2009, 6:52 PM
Thanks VERY much.....