PDA

View Full Version : Does the kimber factory test fire guns before shipping out?

1xoutlaw
08-17-2009, 5:21 PM
I recently bought a kimber custom 2 from the gun dealership, and as i took the handgun apart i noticed its been fired before... There is gun powder residue and debris in the barrel... Does the factory test fire the firearm and ship it out without cleaning it or is this normal?

trob
08-17-2009, 5:23 PM
yes

most, if not ALL, manufacturers test fire and ship dirty.

unamused
08-17-2009, 5:39 PM
my glock came with the two casings they test fired it with in an envelope with the testers signature

BigDogatPlay
08-17-2009, 7:30 PM
They are required, by common sense if nothing else, to test fire everything with at least a couple of rounds before it ships.

swerv512
08-17-2009, 7:37 PM
i know glock and SA pistols come with the 2 fired casings... it's normal.

Dr.12ga
08-17-2009, 7:57 PM
I read somewhere that the casings are actually registered with the state.

strangerdude
08-17-2009, 8:02 PM
I'm sure all manufacturers do, they even gave me the casing they shot when they sent me my gun.

ke6guj
08-17-2009, 8:02 PM
I read somewhere that the casings are actually registered with the state.not with CA.

IIRC, its one of the back-east states, MA, NJ, or MD that does.

Rekrab
08-17-2009, 8:07 PM
Yup, even my Rock Island came with two casings and a signed envelope.

Jaiofspam
08-17-2009, 8:10 PM
i believe they do...
i also believe i told you :)

welcome to calguns btw :cool:

1xoutlaw
08-17-2009, 8:11 PM
thanks for all the replys... my gun came with 1 mag and nothing else...

APNF128
08-17-2009, 8:22 PM
They do! and as for myself I will never buy a gun that has not been fired at least once or twice by the previous owner or factory no matter how beautiful or sexy that gun is.

B Strong
08-18-2009, 5:08 AM
I recently bought a kimber custom 2 from the gun dealership, and as i took the handgun apart i noticed its been fired before... There is gun powder residue and debris in the barrel... Does the factory test fire the firearm and ship it out without cleaning it or is this normal?

They test them, but I'm not sure if they really do any sort of quality control based on the test.

Sad to say, Kimber's are hit and miss.

sigfan91
08-18-2009, 9:33 AM
German Sigs used to come with a test target of a 5 shot group and the tester's signature on the target. Not sure if they still do. US Sigs are test fired, I believe, but only as a functional test rather than quality control.

CAG23
08-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I know that it is not customary for guys to read the instructions but when I got my kimber the manu said to clean it before I take it to the range. My glock came with the two casings, the kimber didn't. But I assumed they test fired it for functionality.

MasterYong
08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I asked Browning once why my Buckmark came with two spent casings (I called them). I was worried because there was a sticker on the envelope that held the casings that stated that it was a crime to not have the FFL retain the casings at the point of sale.

Browning told me that there are a couple of states that retain spent shell casings by law, and that they put that sticker there to remind the FFLs to keep the casings and send them to the state. They said that nearly all factory pistols come with them, but many FFLs remove the casing envelope and toss it (or keep the casings for reloads I guess) because they know the casings will confuse people.

My Kimber didn't come with casings, but my Buckmark, G19, and XD45 Tactical did come with them.

It does surprise me that none of the companies seem to at least swab the barrel after the test though.

sholling
08-18-2009, 1:51 PM
I have to wonder. I picked up my new Compact CDP yesterday and the bore was the cleanest and shiniest bore I've ever seen in my life and I'm not a youngster. I ran a couple of patches through and not one speck showed up on them. Unless they spent a ton of time cleaning up after it's never been fired.

Second the frame to slide fit was so over tight that it probably would not have cycled well enough to feed the second round. I had to work the slide by hand for an hour to get it smoothed out.

I guess they aren't including a second mag and a take down wire anymore either.

MasterYong
08-18-2009, 2:15 PM
I have to wonder. I picked up my new Compact CDP yesterday and the bore was the cleanest and shiniest bore I've ever seen in my life and I'm not a youngster. I ran a couple of patches through and not one speck showed up on them. Unless they spent a ton of time cleaning up after it's never been fired.

Second the frame to slide fit was so over tight that it probably would not have cycled well enough to feed the second round. I had to work the slide by hand for an hour to get it smoothed out.

I guess they aren't including a second mag and a take down wire anymore either.

The takedown wire may be under the foam (it was on mine.... LOOSE!).

xibunkrlilkidsx
08-18-2009, 5:07 PM
Yup, even my Rock Island came with two casings and a signed envelope.

really i just bought on this june and i didnt get any fired casing with it.

epic4444
08-18-2009, 5:32 PM
ofcourse they do...but the only gun i own that include them was my glocks...do they do the same with rifles?

MasterYong
08-19-2009, 7:48 AM
really i just bought on this june and i didnt get any fired casing with it.

The FFL probably took them out. Either that or your model was destined for CA, but the other poster's model had a less predetermined future so they included the casings just in case.

Ya know that stupid handgun roster we have? In some states you can't buy a handgun just because it doesn't have the shell casings included!!! :eek: