PDA

View Full Version : New Resident Handgun Ownership Report Question

biomax
08-17-2009, 8:27 AM
Does anyone know how the California DOJ defines "acquired" on this form? I'm asking, because, I don't want to rise any flags and cause any problems.

Here's my situation.

I've lived here ~4 years now. I just had a chance to bring my handguns (which had been stored with my parents out of state) into California. So now is the first time I've been able to submit this form.

On it, it asks for:
1) Date acquired
2) Acquired from.

Well if they mean originally, I can do that, but don't want them to automatically think I'm past the 60 day deadline to fill this out.

Or, if they mean when acquired in California (this past weekend), then the "Acquired from" box needs to have my name under "Other" as they were already mine. That too, may raise a red flag.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Robert

Vin496
08-17-2009, 9:32 AM
Just go ahead fill it out and send in your $19 for each gun. As for the acquired enter "Mine from previous State"

The law specifically says you cannot get in trouble for late registration of a gun, if the only way the State becomes aware of it is through you registering it.

You can be 10 years late and can not get in trouble.

Chach
08-17-2009, 8:58 PM
Just go ahead fill it out and send in your $19 for each gun. As for the acquired enter "Mine from previous State"

The law specifically says you cannot get in trouble for late registration of a gun, if the only way the State becomes aware of it is through you registering it.

You can be 10 years late and can not get in trouble.

Do you know the where in the penal code it states it's ok for late registration? And do you know if its the same for a intra-family transfer?

bwiese
08-18-2009, 1:26 PM
Do you know the where in the penal code it states it's ok for late registration? And do you know if its the same for a intra-family transfer?

The exemption:12078(f)(4)(B) Paragraphs (2) and (3) [reporting requirements for personal handgun importers] shall not apply
to a person who reports his or her ownership of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being
concealed upon the person after the applicable grace period specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires
if evidence of that violation arises only as the result of the person submitting the report described
in paragraph (2) or (3).

Concerns over intrafamily transfer are either somewhat irrelevant or somewhat worrisome: if you were a resident of that other state and followed its laws getting the gun from your parents, you're fine. But if you were a CA resident and took possession over there and the guns did not go thru a CA FFL, you illegally transfered a gun across state lines - which makes both Feds and CA unhappy.

maxicon
08-18-2009, 1:27 PM
ETA: Bill beat me to it!

Typical Cali legalese, but what it essentially says is that if you register after the grace period, they can't prosecute you if the evidence of your late registration is the registration itself.

Lots of people have done this with no follow-ups or problems. They just want to get you into the system.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/dwc.pdf

(B) Paragraphs (2) and (3) shall not apply to a
person who reports his or her ownership of a pistol,
revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed
upon the person after the applicable grace period
specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires if evidence of
that violation arises only as the result of the person
submitting the report described in paragraph (2) or (3).

biomax
08-18-2009, 2:25 PM
Now I just get to wait for the paperwork.

I just didn't want to raise any red flags. I'm sure my situation was not that uncommon, but nonetheless...

R