PDA

View Full Version : My 8 Year old Son wants to shoot trap..

AirtechJr
08-16-2009, 9:53 PM
He has done some handgun stuff, now he wants to tackle trap.
What gun?
I hate to spend big bucks in case he changes his mind. Thanks for the help.

Rally Dave
08-16-2009, 9:56 PM
smallest shotty that I know of is .410, I would start there.

Blue
08-16-2009, 9:58 PM
NEF makes some really cheap shotguns. I'm pretty sure they have youth models too. I paid something like $79 for my NEF 8 years ago, and I've probably put 750-1000 shells through it without any problems. It's held together much better than I thought it would.

sargenv
08-17-2009, 6:27 AM
I would suggest that you do not get your son a .410. .410's do have little recoil, but the biggest problem with them is that they throw so little shot. Many people get them for beginners, but don't realize that with little recoil, they get little success also. I'd reccomend a 20 for anyone and make sure that you get target loads for it. It is the gun I started with and I still own it. I bought a 410 later in life and find it to still be challenging to use now that I have over 100,000 rounds fired and 30 years experience. They make the NEF is 20 also IIRC and it will likely be less expensive shell wise (.410's are going for like $9 a box or more, 20's are usually the same price of 12's which you can usually find for $6 a box). Trap would dictate #7.5's, skeet would dictate 8's or 9's.

jb7706
08-17-2009, 9:23 AM
+1 on the 20 ga.

foxtrotuniformlima
08-17-2009, 9:42 AM
How big is he ? The reason I ask is that my Boy Scout troop goes out a couple of times a year and shoots 22 rifles and trap with 20 ga shotguns.

Some of the younger scouts try it and give up very quickly. I have a Beretta 319 youth 20 ga that most of them use. Even with light target loads, the recoil and noise is enough to discourage them and these are all 11 year olds.

I tried to get my son to shoot when he was 9 or so and he shot 2 rounds and said no more. He has since gotten bigger and more comfortable with the shotgun but after the first experience I was worried if I had not started too soon and thus scared him away forever.

sargenv
08-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Eh.. Dad let us shoot his 12 gauge browning Auto 5.. and we couldn't wait to start hunting!!! :D

I at 13, my bro at 11..

Depends on the kid.. ear protection likely is the key in some cases.. those guns can be loud to kids who have no hearing loss (us older peoples).

jigggawatt
08-17-2009, 5:45 PM
I guess it's up to the kid . My boys got their huning lic. at 8 and 10 . They both used 20 gauge single shots. I liked the fact they had to pulll the hammer back to shoot. My 12 year old shoots a O/U 12 and my 10 year old shoots a youth 20 ga. pump. I'm in So. Ca. if you're local . He's welcome to shoot our 20 ga. single.

covertcombatant
08-17-2009, 6:36 PM
I'm getting my son into shooting trap also. He will be 8 in October, I bought him a Stevens .410 single shot. We should get together and the kids can try it out. Let me know if your interested. I'm located in Lake Elsinore.

coop44
08-17-2009, 7:19 PM
I would be leary of anything beyond a twenty. Talk to your pediatrician about hearing loss, bone plate deformity and arthritis. Hearing loss is cumulative.

I really wanted to shoot with my dad too. I had all of the above by the time I was 35.

Turo
08-18-2009, 9:56 AM
I started off with an old side by side 20ga. Probably the best thing I could have done. I was around your boy's age as well. When I turned 12 I got a winchester 1300 20ga pump, and I outgrew it pretty quickly when we started shooting trap.

I'd suggest either a double barrel or pump 20ga, but if he can learn to handle the recoil, he'll have much more success shooting a 12.

whatever you do, don't start him off shooting a 12ga. My dad made that mistake once with a friend of mine, and now he won't even touch guns.

AirtechJr
08-18-2009, 8:07 PM
Wow, that's a lot of good info.
I like the 20 idea. I found a 20 in my safe. I think it would be a bit heavy for him, but a good dry run. If he likes it, a single shot or o/u junior 20 would make a nice gift. If anyone has some ideas let me know.

Thanks,
George
Bakersfield, Ca

wilit
08-18-2009, 8:14 PM
I would highly discourage using a .410 to shoot trap for a youngin. I just bought a .410 to shoot trap because of the challenge. Your boy will most likely end up becoming discouraged because he's not going to hit squat for the first 500 rounds. Plus, see my thread on the cost of .410 ammo. There are several youth sized 20ga autos to help absorb a lot of the recoil. I'd suggest one of those.

forgiven
09-07-2009, 4:48 AM
+1 on a 20ga auto. Those single shots hurt.

CSACANNONEER
09-07-2009, 6:20 AM
I would highly discourage using a .410 to shoot trap for a youngin. I just bought a .410 to shoot trap because of the challenge. Your boy will most likely end up becoming discouraged because he's not going to hit squat for the first 500 rounds. Plus, see my thread on the cost of .410 ammo. There are several youth sized 20ga autos to help absorb a lot of the recoil. I'd suggest one of those.

Yep! DO NOT get him a .410! Either find a 20g or 28g instead and have the stock cut to fit him now. The .410 pattern is different from other shotgun patterns so, it is not a great gun to start with. Getting the stock to fit him properly is a very big deal. It will help him learn to shoot properly. I know, if you cut the stock, he'll grow out of it the next day. Yep, you're right. But, you'll just have to keep shimming the recoil pad every 6-12 months if you want him to learn on a gun that fits him properly. There is a private club between Santa Barbara and Solvang which has an excellent juniors program. I suggest that you try to find something similar close to you.

Robby M
10-25-2009, 8:25 PM
if you want him to try it, a 28 gauge would be nice, but if you want him to successful, go no less than a 20ga with M choke.