PDA

View Full Version : exposed or concealed hammer on a snub 38?

!@#$
08-16-2009, 8:03 PM
what is best IYO?

i got the bug for a J frame but i'm not sure what i want.

also what is with the internal lock?

anyone have it lock up when you didn't want it to?

should i remove it?

jumbopanda
08-16-2009, 8:13 PM
I don't know much about revolvers but I'd assume the hammerless ones are designed to reduce the chances of it snagging on some clothes when you draw it. Is this going to be a concealed carry piece?

The disadvantage of hammerless revolvers is that they are double action only, which is fine if you're not target shooting with it.

riprap
08-16-2009, 8:15 PM
S&W 442 FTW!

liketoshoot
08-16-2009, 8:19 PM
I have both and it depends on what you want it for, if pocket carry then go bobbed if holster carry then go with exposed hammer, also like it was pointed out above, do you want single action or doubble action?

!@#$
08-16-2009, 8:42 PM
i don't have CCW so it won't be for carry.

the hammerless seems way better for self defence but the SA option would be more fun for the range and still be good enough for defence.

tiko
08-16-2009, 8:59 PM
if no CCW then you better go with the hammer( I do), it can even shoot accurate SA to 25 yards ( 5" group off hand). And better go with the full steel (the scandium cylinders do not allow you to shoot with 357 magnum under 125 gr bullet)

West coast
08-16-2009, 9:24 PM
For my choice will be the S&W 442 hammerless if I had a CCW....

leelaw
08-16-2009, 9:50 PM
If you plan to CCW it - hammerless.

If you plan to shoot it at the range, then it's your choice.

I've seen a .44mag airlite SW revolver jam up on the hammer lock, causing the hammer to lock half-cocked over a live round, also preventing the ejection of a cylinder. I haven't heard of it happening on non-magnum, non-airlite revolvers, so a .38 might work just fine.

bombadillo
08-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Airweight bodyguard = best of both worlds. You get a snag-less gun while being able to shoot single action if you'd like to. They also make a much cheaper taurus version thats basically a knock off.

ojisan
08-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Smith 442 (DAO " hammerless") is the way to go.
Snag free, you won't believe how easy it slides in and out of pockets or holsters until you try it.
The long DAO trigger pull is easy to get used to.
There is also a point near the end of the trigger travel that you can feel as the cylinder finishes rotating and locks into place....from here you can fire it with a single-action type break.
442 can use any weight of .38 and +P.
IMHO, you need at least a 3" barrel to start to utilize the full power of a .357 Mag. The 442 is hundreds of dollars less than the scandium .357 and barely two ounces heavier.
Buffalo Bore makes a special load for the 2" Smiths and others...a 158 soft lead hollow point right at 1000 fps in a 2"....close to 1200FPS in a 4" barrel so you can see this load is no slouch.
The exposed hammmer models are a classic, maybe better these days as a holster / hiking gun.

RobG
08-16-2009, 10:48 PM
While I do not ccw, I did have the hammer bobbed on my SP101. I also replaced the springs with Wolff to lighten the pull. I do carry it IWB where I can and it is comfortable to do so. IMO a snubbie is no target gun so no need for a hammer.

huntndog
08-17-2009, 1:13 AM
Airweight bodyguard = best of both worlds. You get a snag-less gun while being able to shoot single action if you'd like to. They also make a much cheaper taurus version thats basically a knock off.

ditto

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/surfdog_photos/6381.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/surfdog_photos/638-1.jpg

B Strong
08-17-2009, 6:36 AM
what is best IYO?

i got the bug for a J frame but i'm not sure what i want.

also what is with the internal lock?

anyone have it lock up when you didn't want it to?

should i remove it?

I'm a big J frame fan, and I have a pre-model 40 Centennial, and a 36. They both have their good points. I like the Cent for loose carry in a pocket, and the 36 for holster carry.

The Cent. is all steel, will handel +p rounds, and is more accurate than a belly gun has a right to be - you do have to wrap your head around the grip safety.

The 36 does what the Cent. does, but you have the advatage of using it in single action mode.

It really comes down to personal preference.

AdiosKali
08-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Another vote for the 442! I have one with a CT laser. It has be trouble free for me.

badfish71
08-17-2009, 12:45 PM
442 or 642. easy in/out of the pocket