PDA

View Full Version : sig p220 slide wear (inside)

J Chris
08-16-2009, 2:12 PM
First off let's start with a picture of the pistol.
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/dat1gai/sig_p220.jpg

I noticed some wear on the inside of the slide. It looks like it is caused by the edge of the barrel. I also saw that the recoil spring and guide are not seated parallel to the barrel and are a little off to the side.
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/dat1gai/IMG_1106.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/dat1gai/side_1.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/dat1gai/slide_2.jpg

I am the most concerned about the grove being cut into the slide by the barrel.

Is this normal wear and tear, or is this something that may be problematic? Thanks for your help and suggestions

Greg-Dawg
08-16-2009, 2:17 PM
Pics don't work. Inner slide wear is normal.

M. Sage
08-16-2009, 2:48 PM
It's all on the surface. It's just taking the finish off is all, and it definitely doesn't look like it's wearing a groove on the inside of your slide.

On a P220, the barrel rides inside the slide, and locks up against the ejection port ("wear" seen in the first slide pic, at the top). It also bears against the sides of the slide. If it didn't do this, it wouldn't be accurate... But this will take the finish off. But that's about all that's going to happen, IMO.

The recoil spring and guide center themselves when you reassemble the pistol.

Don't sweat it. Sigs are built right and won't let you down. :p

J Chris
08-16-2009, 2:50 PM
Thanks Greg, I was hoping it was normal wear.

Pics are fixed.

Black Majik
08-16-2009, 2:57 PM
Everything looks A-OK. Just finish wear. The guide rod not seating perfectly parallel in the guide rod tunnel of the slide is perfectly normal.

Greg-Dawg
08-16-2009, 2:58 PM
Now I can see it. Do you have any malfunctions when shooting it? If none, then it's just a cosmetic issue. Try checking out some Sigs at a rental range, most of the finishes are gone...but they still go "bang".

J Chris
08-16-2009, 3:33 PM
Great, thanks guys! I'm glad the wear is only cosmetic.

No malfunctions, knock on wood.

Nismo
08-16-2009, 6:44 PM
That wear is normal. For SIGs, what you need to be looking for is wear on the frame rails where the slide mates. Improper lubrication can contribute to the hard anodizing wearing through and wear to the softer aluminum frame.

hybridatsun350
08-16-2009, 7:12 PM
That wear is normal. For SIGs, what you need to be looking for is wear on the frame rails where the slide mates. Improper lubrication can contribute to the hard anodizing wearing through and wear to the softer aluminum frame.

All of your wear looks completely normal. Metal pieces moving around in close proximity causes things to wear. As mentioned above, the frame rails are wear the real wear can and will occur. I would suggest finding a high quality grease designed specifically for slide rails. Oil is not enough, and not all greases are at their best when sliding action (like frame rails) is concerned.

tiko
08-16-2009, 8:16 PM
So, like every ones said, it is normal, congrats! My 220 has exactly the wearing lines like yours and still very accurate, you can check by remove the barrel and spring, put the slide back with the frame and feel the free play, it should be very little ( on the Les Baer, there no free play at all), then take the slide out and put in the barrel,when the barrel completely inside the barrel, just a little free play.

icoburn
08-16-2009, 8:29 PM
Wear is normal. I use Brian Enos slide-glide on all my Sigs since Bruce Gray recommended it to me, it significant guts down on wear and slide slop. If you are concerned about the wear or want to turn your sig into the smoothest shooting SA/DA you have ever shot, send it to Grayguns (grayguns.com)

Nismo
08-16-2009, 8:55 PM
Wear is normal. I use Brian Enos slide-glide on all my Sigs since Bruce Gray recommended it to me, it significant guts down on wear and slide slop. If you are concerned about the wear or want to turn your sig into the smoothest shooting SA/DA you have ever shot, send it to Grayguns (grayguns.com)

My p229 was worked over by Gray Guns. I also use Slide Glide medium for the rails.