PDA

View Full Version : Buying gun out of state from private party

Dr. T
09-23-2005, 4:02 PM
What is the California law related to purchasing a handgun out of state from a private party (in Nevada) and bringing it in to California? This is a firearm that is not on California's approved list, but may not qualify as a C&R (or again it might--I don't really know). It's regarding a 1981 competition model Browning High Power.

Dr. T

bwiese
09-23-2005, 4:56 PM
I don't think this model is on CA's approved list. The items currently approved are:

Hi-Power Blue Adj Sights/Steel 4.66" 9mm
Hi-Power Blue Fix Sights/Steel 4.66" 9mm
Hi-Power MKIII Fix Sights/Steel 4.66" .40S&W
Hi-Power MKIII Fix Sights/Steel 4.66" 9mm
Hi-Power Practical Adj Sights/Steel 4.66" 9mm
Hi-Power Practical Fix Sights/Stls+Steel 4.66" .40 S&W
Hi-Power Practical Fix Sights/Steel 4.66" 9mm
Hi-Power Silver Chrome Fix Sights/Steel 4.66" 9mm
HP Standard /Steel 4.66" .40S&W
HP Standard Adj. Sights / Steel 4.66" .40S&W
HP Standard Fixed Sights / Steel 4.66" .40S&W

If your gun could somehow be regarded as being on this list you might make it, unless your gun says "Competition" as part of model.

Otherwise, too bad, cuz it's a nice gun.

Private-party transfers only apply to CA residents (with ID) and within CA. And it is illegal to get this gun in NV - Fed law bans most all cross-state-line transactions w/o FFL.

This is a big aggravation to CA gun owners who have been essentially locked out of non-California gun market of nonapproved guns.

In contrast, for most all out-of-state guns your seller would have to send/deliver gun to a CA FFL. In order for you to get the FFL would then have to transfer this gun like a new or used gun to you and it would have to be on "The List" of approved handguns. Since it isn't, this deal isn't possible.

Really, the ONLY way for this to happen is for either one of you to move to the other's state. He could move to CA and get CA ID and then do a PPT to you, or you could move out of CA to NV, establish residency, buy the gun, and move back to CA (and declaring it and all other handguns you own as a 'personal handgun importer' and paying a fee to Calif DOJ to register it/them)

Bill Wiese
San Jose

icormba
09-23-2005, 6:31 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:
I don't think this model is on CA's approved list. The items currently approved are:

Hi-Power Blue Fix Sights/Steel 4.66" 9mm
Hi-Power MKIII Fix Sights/Steel 4.66" .40S&W
Hi-Power MKIII Fix Sights/Steel 4.66" 9mm
Hi-Power Practical Fix Sights/Stls+Steel 4.66" .40 S&W
Hi-Power Practical Fix Sights/Steel 4.66" 9mm
Hi-Power Silver Chrome Fix Sights/Steel 4.66" 9mm

If your gun could somehow be regarded as being on this list you might make it, unless your gun says "Competition" as part of model.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Like Bill said, it might make it if it doesn't say "competition". My Hi Power just has a serial number, caliber, and manufacture name on it... Fabrique National, which is made in the SAME plant as the Browning Hi-Powers. It's transferable as any FN in the 9mm HP category because it doesn't have a model name.

Silly, ain't it.

By the way, it might fall under one of these in particular?

I doubt it's the 2nd one though.

Dr. T
09-23-2005, 9:40 PM
I think it has a longer barrel than normal. Perhaps the gun could be sent without the barrel, since that's the only difference.

Dr. T
09-23-2005, 10:23 PM
OK, I located the Federal C&R list and that BHP model is not on it. I'll check with my FFL, but this looks like another win for the Kommissars.

icormba
09-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Dr. T:
I think it has a longer barrel than normal.

bummer http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif