PDA

View Full Version : Does CA DOJ check serial to match model # ?

shopnut
07-29-2005, 10:55 PM
I want to get a revolver from AZ. There is not a marking on the gun that shows the dash (-) numbers that is approved on the CA DOJ list.

Does the DOJ check for model number when I provide the serial number for registration?

Thanks!

Inoxmark
07-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Very unlikely that any FFL will go along with this transfer. Or if you plan not to tell him hoping he wouldn't notice, in my opinion it would be very impolite of you to jeopardize his business because of your "wants", sorry.

Rumpled
07-30-2005, 12:33 AM
To paraphrase bweise
If you get this past a FFL, should you ever have a fire in your house, they'll catch you at it.
Unfortunately, the revolver in question isn't on the list, it'd be best to not push it (ie don't break the law).
Maybe you can find the same model as PPT in CA.
Ask here even, maybe someone has a safe queen to sell.

-hanko
07-30-2005, 8:12 PM
Originally posted by shopnut:
I want to get a revolver from AZ. There is not a marking on the gun that shows the dash (-) numbers that is approved on the CA DOJ list.

Does the DOJ check for model number when I provide the serial number for registration?

Thanks!
No number on the inside of the yoke seems to indicate it was made before model numbers were assigned. If there's a model number but no dash, it's the first variant of that model.

I thought the doj list only covered new guns...is this one new or used??

-hanko

JAFGO
07-30-2005, 9:13 PM
If the handgun is not on the DOJ list, check to see if it's on the ATF's C&R list @ http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/relics/index.htm

If it's on ATF's C&R list or is over 50 years old you can legally import it into CA providing it is not considered an assault weapon in this state. If it is not on either the DOJ or ATF lists and is less than 50 years old, you can't legally import it into CA.

simonp
07-31-2005, 10:47 AM
The CA DOJ and the computer DROS cant tell the difference and will accept it however the dealer may be able to tell and may or may not care, I know both kinds.

bu-bye
07-31-2005, 9:04 PM
Small flathead screw driver and a hammer.

Problem solved http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif J/K

If the gun is not on the list it can't be brought in. Only guns that are already here in the state can be sold. I agree that its not cool to put the dealers business in that position. I know of a guy who had a shop for 20-something years and he was shut down because of a gun that was given to him by who he thought was a close friend and fellow dealer to sell. He was setup by the Gov but he could not do anything about it. He lost the only way he knew how to make money and can never own a gun again.

Its one thing to take a personal risk, but its another to put a person at risk without them knowing.

shopnut
08-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks! I will just wait for something local for a FTF transfer.