PDA

View Full Version : Which county should I apply for a ccw in Nevada?

MidnightSon117
08-16-2009, 4:00 AM
I'm going to Vegas the week after next. Is there any benefit to applying from another county? Washoe county comes to mind, because it's closer than Clark county.

MidnightSon117
08-16-2009, 4:02 AM
Sorry for asking about Nevada CCW in this forum, just didn't know where else to ask :)

groovielou
08-16-2009, 5:33 AM
I believe the requirements are the same no matter where you go in the state.

Here is some Nevada information...
http://www.usacarry.com/nevada_concealed_carry_permit_information.html#nev ada_concealed_carry_map

Me, I went through "The Gun Store" in Clark County (Near Las Vegas Strip) I really enjoyed the class.

MP301
08-16-2009, 5:46 AM
I would be happy t o answer your question...its a CCW forum, not a CA only CCW forum...so dont be sorry about asking here...

Anyway, the answer is to go to the county that you are;

A) Closest to you
B) Frequent most often
C) Both A and B

I did mine in Vegas when I got married. I go there 3- 5 times a year. I usually drive and its about 7-8 hours, give or take. Its only about an hour to Front Sight training institute where i go every chance I get.

However, i am closest to Minden/Gardnerville/Carson at about an hour anda quarter.

I went with some friends who needed to get their Nevada CCW's and figured I would go an add some guns to mine. Thats when I discovered that you can only renew or add guns to your permit in the county you got the permit.

The only other consideration is that every county's permit looks different. My LVMPD permit looks real cool and official and has a ton of room for many guns. But some permits are cheesy (like CA's or worse) and only show one or just a few guns on it and any other guns on your permit have to be checked in the computer to verify.

Cost was higher where I went (The Gun Store on Tropicana) then in northern Nevada. My Vegas permit cost $75 for the class and $25 for each added gun beyond the first one---they suppplied the ammo. In Gardnerville, my friends paid $80 total (supplied thier own ammo) and no charge for as many guns as they wanted to add.

Lastly, the northern Nevada (smaller counties) have a list of all instructors on their website, so you can call around and find someone who will work with your schedule and has good rates. Vegas LVMPD / Clark County doesnt have a list on thier website, but will send you the app/list if you live out of state - I recommend you do this if your thinking about doing this in Vegas.

By your area codes, your up north like me...if you go the closest route, go to the Douglas County and Washoe county website. The first name on the list for Douglas is Wayne Crow. He was a real card and we had a great time BS'n with him...The funny part was that where everyone shoots is this area on the side of the road...I remember thinking "We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!" Thats probably how he was able to do this so cheap...didnt have to pay range fees...plus he is retired, the class was at his house. I told him when we could do the class and he oblidged...and I told him we wanted to go to the Sheriff's the same day and he started the class early enough to accomplish this too....

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

stich
08-16-2009, 8:18 AM
I would be happy t o answer your question...its a CCW forum, not a CA only CCW forum...so dont be sorry about asking here...

A) Closest to you
B) Frequent most often
C) Both A and B

I did mine in Vegas when I got married. I go there 3- 5 times a year. I usually drive and its about 7-8 hours, give or take. Its only about an hour to Front Sight training institute where i go every chance I get.

However, i am closest to Minden/Gardnerville/Carson at about an hour anda quarter.

I went with some friends who needed to get their Nevada CCW's and figured I would go an add some guns to mine. Thats when I discovered that you can only renew or add guns to your permit in the county you got the permit.

The only other consideration is that every county's permit looks different. My LVMPD permit looks real cool and official and has a ton of room for many guns. But some permits are cheesy (like CA's or worse) and only show one or just a few guns on it and any other guns on your permit have to be checked in the computer to verify.

Cost was higher where I went (The Gun Store on Tropicana) then in northern Nevada. My Vegas permit cost $75 for the class and $25 for each added gun beyond the first one---they suppplied the ammo. In Gardnerville, my friends paid $80 total (supplied thier own ammo) and no charge for as many guns as they wanted to add.

Lastly, the northern Nevada (smaller counties) have a list of all instructors on their website, so you can call around and find someone who will work with your schedule and has good rates. Vegas LVMPD / Clark County doesnt have a list on thier website, but will send you the app/list if you live out of state - I recommend you do this if your thinking about doing this in Vegas.

By your area codes, your up north like me...if you go the closest route, go to the Douglas County and Washoe county website. The first name on the list for Douglas is Wayne Crow. He was a real card and we had a great time BS'n with him...The funny part was that where everyone shoots is this area on the side of the road...I remember thinking "We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!" Thats probably how he was able to do this so cheap...didnt have to pay range fees...plus he is retired, the class was at his house. I told him when we could do the class and he oblidged...and I told him we wanted to go to the Sheriff's the same day and he started the class early enough to accomplish this too....

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Oh, and the range class could have even been quicker but SOMEONE had to bring EVERY gun in their entire arsenal to qualify with.
:52: :30: :36: :25: :83:
:rofl2:
That "range" was somthing tho
All in all it was a fun day

Big Jake
08-16-2009, 2:38 PM
FYI I know a guy that is local to LA who does Nevada ccw training. His name is Roland Esparza. He can be reached by e-mail at ssprotection@hotmail.com

When/if you e-mail him tell him that "Big Jake" from calguns sent you. He knows me well. Great guy former military and LEO.

Quiet
08-16-2009, 3:05 PM

A) Closest to you
B) Frequent most often
C) Both A and B

I agree with this.

I got my non-resident NV permit from Clark County, cause it's the closest county to where I live in.

I've taken the NV CCW course & renewals through The Gun Store (http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/concealedfirearmsclasses.html), American Shooters (http://www.americanshooters.com/training/) and Kurt Gepke (http://www.teamdigit.com/), a private instructor on nevadashooters.com (nevada shooters fourm members get a discount when training through him).

I recently renewed through Kurt Gepke, cost me $130, had to supply my own ammo, but I could qualify with any amount of handguns. Since, I was planning on qualifying with 4, he ended up being cheaper than The Gun Store & American Shooters. His class was more informative than The Gun Store & American Shooters and the range quals was fun (he let me qualify with 2 of his suppressed pistols and let me shoot a couple of mags out of his M-11/9 MG). Kurt will also let you qualify with an AR/AK type pistol, something that The Gun Store & American Shooters will not let you do.

I turned in my NV CCW packet on a Thursday morning, there was about 30 people waiting for the place to open (5 of the people there were for CCW, rest were for work cards).
Total time from entering to leaving = about 40 minutes.
Took so long cause had to wait to get fingerprinted and photographed.

nicki
08-16-2009, 6:17 PM
Perhaps what we need is a list of quality instructors both in the Reno area and in the Las Vegas area.

Nice to find instructors who would like to run courses for Calguns and allow us to qualify unlimited or reasonable charges.

If we make it social affairs, we have group classes and then we qualify on each others guns so we have multi qualifications on our licenses.

Nevada doesn't list serial numbers on permits.

Nicki

Big Jake
08-16-2009, 6:25 PM
Perhaps what we need is a list of quality instructors both in the Reno area and in the Las Vegas area.

Nice to find instructors who would like to run courses for Calguns and allow us to qualify unlimited or reasonable charges.

If we make it social affairs, we have group classes and then we qualify on each others guns so we have multi qualifications on our licenses.

Nicki

Two points to make:

1. Nevada does list serial numbers on ccw. I just got mine and serial numbers are listed for firearms I qualified with.

2. I know a Nevada ccw instructor that runs between L.A. And Las Vegas. Great guy who I have spoken with about calgunners discounts. He said to give out his e-mail address for anyone interested and he will give discounts.

How much I do not know. He is also certified trainer for Florida, Utah, Massachusets, Rhode Island ccw.

I am in the process of applying for my MA/RI permits that he trained me for. Great guy, former LEO and Army Ranger.

His name is Roland Esparza and his e-mail address is ssprotection@hotmail.com

Tell him that "Big Jake' from calguns sent you and he will know I referred you. (No, I do not get a kickback from him for refferals):cool:

Quiet
08-16-2009, 7:59 PM
Two points to make:

1. Nevada does list serial numbers on ccw. I just got mine and serial numbers are listed for firearms I qualified with.

When did they start doing this?

Under NV law (NRS 202.366) they can only list Make, Model, Caliber and Date the handgun was added to the permit.

My LVMPD issued permit does not list serial numbers.

Nevada Revised Statue 202.366
1. Upon receipt by a sheriff of an application for a permit, the sheriff shall conduct an investigation of the applicant to determine if he is eligible for a permit. In conducting the investigation, the sheriff shall forward a complete set of the applicant’s fingerprints to the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its report concerning the criminal history of the applicant. The sheriff shall issue a permit to the applicant unless he is not qualified to possess a handgun pursuant to state or federal law or is not otherwise qualified to obtain a permit pursuant to NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto.
2. To assist the sheriff in conducting his investigation, any local law enforcement agency, including the sheriff of any county, may voluntarily submit to the sheriff a report or other information concerning the criminal history of an applicant.
3. Within 120 days after a complete application for a permit is submitted, the sheriff to whom the application is submitted shall grant or deny the application. If the application is denied, the sheriff shall send the applicant written notification setting forth the reasons for the denial. If the application is granted, the sheriff shall provide the applicant with a permit containing a colored photograph of the applicant and containing such other information as may be prescribed by the Department. The permit must be in substantially the following form:

NEVADA CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT

County............................................ ... Permit Number....................................

Expires........................................... .... Date of Birth.......................................

Height............................................ .... Weight............................................ ......

Name.............................................. ... Address........................................... ......

City.............................................. ....... Zip............................................... ..........

Photograph

Signature......................................... ..

Issued by...........................................

Date of Issue....................................

Make, model and caliber of each authorized semiautomatic firearm, if any...

Revolvers authorized........................................ ........... Yes.................................... No

4. Unless suspended or revoked by the sheriff who issued the permit, a permit expires 5 years after the date on which it is issued.

radio2
08-16-2009, 8:06 PM
I agree with this.

I recently renewed through Kurt Gepke, cost me $130, had to supply my own ammo, but I could qualify with any amount of handguns. Since, I was planning on qualifying with 4, he ended up being cheaper than The Gun Store & American Shooters. His class was more informative than The Gun Store & American Shooters and the range quals was fun (he let me qualify with 2 of his suppressed pistols and let me shoot a couple of mags out of his M-11/9 MG). Kurt will also let you qualify with an AR/AK type pistol, something that The Gun Store & American Shooters will not let you do.

+1, Kurt is top notch!

Big Jake
08-16-2009, 8:38 PM
When did they start doing this?

Under NV law (NRS 202.366) they can only list Make, Model, Caliber and Date the handgun was added to the permit.

My LVMPD issued permit does not list serial numbers.

Nevada Revised Statue 202.366
1. Upon receipt by a sheriff of an application for a permit, the sheriff shall conduct an investigation of the applicant to determine if he is eligible for a permit. In conducting the investigation, the sheriff shall forward a complete set of the applicant’s fingerprints to the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its report concerning the criminal history of the applicant. The sheriff shall issue a permit to the applicant unless he is not qualified to possess a handgun pursuant to state or federal law or is not otherwise qualified to obtain a permit pursuant to NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto.
2. To assist the sheriff in conducting his investigation, any local law enforcement agency, including the sheriff of any county, may voluntarily submit to the sheriff a report or other information concerning the criminal history of an applicant.
3. Within 120 days after a complete application for a permit is submitted, the sheriff to whom the application is submitted shall grant or deny the application. If the application is denied, the sheriff shall send the applicant written notification setting forth the reasons for the denial. If the application is granted, the sheriff shall provide the applicant with a permit containing a colored photograph of the applicant and containing such other information as may be prescribed by the Department. The permit must be in substantially the following form:

NEVADA CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT

County............................................ ... Permit Number....................................

Expires........................................... .... Date of Birth.......................................

Height............................................ .... Weight............................................ ......

Name.............................................. ... Address........................................... ......

City.............................................. ....... Zip............................................... ..........

Photograph

Signature......................................... ..

Issued by...........................................

Date of Issue....................................

Make, model and caliber of each authorized semiautomatic firearm, if any...

Revolvers authorized........................................ ........... Yes.................................... No

4. Unless suspended or revoked by the sheriff who issued the permit, a permit expires 5 years after the date on which it is issued.

I am not sure as I just got my permit in the mail a week ago. My permit has SN of firearms I qualified with on it.

Wild Bill
08-16-2009, 10:54 PM
I to just received my new Nevada CCW and it lists the firearms ser# .

stich
08-17-2009, 8:57 AM
They never looked at my guns I qualified with and did not list the SN's

Big Jake
08-17-2009, 9:21 AM
They never looked at my guns I qualified with and did not list the SN's

Who is "They" What dept.?

1923mack
08-17-2009, 9:27 AM
The counties that do not list the serial numbers would be the prefered ones for us Calgunners, in my opion. Lets get specific.

Big Jake
08-17-2009, 9:34 AM
I did mine through LVMPD. I was not aware that they had this practice until I received my ccw in the mail. I am curious as to if this is state law or if it is up to each sheriff dept. to create their own policy?

I know that Clark County requires handgun registration for residents. They give you a blue card as proof of registration, which you must show LEO if asked.

This is a Clark County requirement so I am guessing that listing SN on ccw falls in line with that.

odesskiy
08-17-2009, 2:08 PM
Another +1 for Kurt. BTW, my class was only $80, no charge for as many guns as you want to qualify with (I did 5 plus a borrowed revolver :) )

I agree with this.

I got my non-resident NV permit from Clark County, cause it's the closest county to where I live in.

I've taken the NV CCW course & renewals through The Gun Store (http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/concealedfirearmsclasses.html), American Shooters (http://www.americanshooters.com/training/) and Kurt Gepke (http://www.teamdigit.com/), a private instructor on nevadashooters.com (http://nevadashooters.com) (nevada shooters fourm members get a discount when training through him).

I turned in my NV CCW packet on a Thursday morning, there was about 30 people waiting for the place to open (5 of the people there were for CCW, rest were for work cards).
Total time from entering to leaving = about 40 minutes.
Took so long cause had to wait to get fingerprinted and photographed.

odesskiy
08-17-2009, 2:09 PM
My LVMPD permit (got it a couple of weeks ago) does NOT list serial numbers and there were no room for them on the application. Only gun make, model and caliber are listed.

Two points to make:

2. I know a Nevada ccw instructor that runs between L.A. And Las Vegas. Great guy who I have spoken with about calgunners discounts. He said to give out his e-mail address for anyone interested and he will give discounts.

How much I do not know. He is also certified trainer for Florida, Utah, Massachusets, Rhode Island ccw.

I am in the process of applying for my MA/RI permits that he trained me for. Great guy, former LEO and Army Ranger.

His name is Roland Esparza and his e-mail address is ssprotection@hotmail.com

Tell him that "Big Jake' from calguns sent you and he will know I referred you. (No, I do not get a kickback from him for refferals):cool:

Big Jake
08-17-2009, 2:28 PM
My LVMPD permit (got it a couple of weeks ago) does NOT list serial numbers and there were no room for them on the application. Only gun make, model and caliber are listed.

Mine has it listed on it. I just checked again! :shrug:

otteray
08-17-2009, 7:58 PM
In a couple of weeks I'm going to a Reno area CCW class (www.armedandsafe.com) and they specifically state no serial numbers in their instructions letter.

Big Jake
08-17-2009, 9:44 PM
This may be specific to Clark County as I have not heard of another Nevada county that does list SN on ccw.

Sky_DiveR
08-18-2009, 12:22 AM
In a couple of weeks I'm going to a Reno area CCW class (www.armedandsafe.com) and they specifically state no serial numbers in their instructions letter.

Allan & Kelly are good people. I just got back today. Armed and Safe, provides their training in Sparks, NV (inside Scheel's). They did not take/list any serial numbers of my qualifying guns (they were not required!) and the Washoe County Sheriffs Dept. did not ask for any when going over my paperwork. You can list as many guns as you like but there is only room for 17 guns on the permit. Any more and you will have to carry more cards. I submitted my paperwork there this morning. In and out in ~45 minutes.

You must submit paperwork within the county that you got your training from (unless you are a resident then whichever county you reside). They charge $60 on the weekends and $80 on the weekdays that they train on. Range fee is included but $5 per qualifying gun tip is suggested for the RO's that are helping out and $5 for the Notary for Utah CCW.

Photo and prints are included with the NV CCW application. Extra copies of your fingerprints are $10 ea. (I think). Kelly recommends the best day to submit CCW apps is on Wednesdays cuz Washoe Sheriffs only does CCW apps that day...

Overall quite painless. They are qualified for Nevada, Utah, and Florida (at least). They also have loaner qualification guns and recommends you at least qualify with a revolver since that is not model or caliber specific. 22 Ruger or Smith anyone? Semi-auto's are specific as to model & caliber. You qualify with 25 - 30 rounds per gun and the class is "No pass, No pay". Suffice it to say everybody passes... they'll work with you until you do.

One of the RO's said he even has a Full-Auto Glock 19 and Mini (Micro?) Uzi listed on his permit. Supposedly you can have an AR listed but I didn't have an AR or AK pistol... maybe next time.

odesskiy
08-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Mine's from Clark County. Like I said, LVMPD. Weird...

This may be specific to Clark County as I have not heard of another Nevada county that does list SN on ccw.

Big Jake
08-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Mine's from Clark County. Like I said, LVMPD. Weird...

Since Clark County has handgun registration law for residents I believe this is why they put SN's on permit. From what I have been able to find out they are the only ones that do this.

It makes sense that if your required to have a so call "Blue Card" for every handgun owned by a resident of Clark County that you would have SN"s on permit. :shrug:

Quiet
09-03-2009, 8:28 PM
Just got my new NV CCW permit.
This is my third NV permit via second time renewing.
I've gotten the NV permit through the LVMPD (Clark County).

I noticed several new items of interest on the new permit:

1. Between the three permits, the word size and location for Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Concealed Firearms Permit, State of Nevada & Clark County has changed with every new permit.

2. The Issue date and the expiration date has changed.
It use to be the issue date (date permit became valid) and expiraton date was different. The expiration date used to be the month & day you were born with the year the permit expires. This kinda sucked cause depending on when it got issued and your DOB, you may have lost/gained several months.
Now, the expiration date is five years from the issue date.

3. The permit still lists the Make/Model/Caliber/Date added to permit of all semi-auto pistols you qualify with. The permit now lists if Revolvers are authorized (qualify with one revolver, you can carry any revolver, so they are no longer listed by make/model/cal/date). The serial numbers of the pistols you qualify with are not listed on the permit.

The envelope with my permit also contained a letter from the Concealed Firearms Detail of the LVMPD.
Part of the letter says:
"Residents of Clark County are required to register their firearms with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. Therefore, if you are a resident of Clark County the firearm(s) listed on your permit, including revolver(s), must be registered prior to carrying such firearm(s) concealed.

Firearm registration is not required for non-residents."

Kurt Gepke
09-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
I agree with this.

+1, Kurt is top notch!

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you enjoyed the course and the interactive manner in which it is taught.
It's my passion and the teaching method is designed for adults to retain more and to develop a thinking process.

For all...........
Please feel free to use me as a resource. There are many rumors about Nevada gun laws and CCW or OC and especially when you're talking about Las Vegas and Clark County.

I lived in San Diego for 34 years before coming to Las Vegas in 2002. It broke my heart to leave S.D., but I'm dealing with it. I certainly don't miss CA gun laws and I feel your pain.

I've joined CalGuns.net in order to become more accessible. Feel free to contact me through PMs or e-mail. My phone number is on my website. (Link provided below in sig line)

KG

Kurt Gepke
09-07-2009, 11:34 PM

Nicki

I would be glad to participate in this. I already discount for members of NevadaShooters.com so I can do the same for CalGuns.net.

You bring your own ammo and there is never an additional charge for multiple guns. I also have guns to loan for qualification, including a J Frame revolver, G19, G26, Kahr K40, Kahr CW9, and Walther P22.
Class size is limited to six because the learning method in interactive. You won't even feel like you were in a class.

I will add guns to your permits at no charge for a year from your class date.

Private and Semi Private classes are welcome to shoot my Class 3 stuff. (Suppressed G19, suppressed Walther P22, and suppressed M11/nine sub machine gun)

I'm semi retired and conduct classes at my residence. You can read several class reviews in the Concealed Carry / Open Carry forum of Nevadashooters.com

Training Certificate of Completion is valid for a Florida permit. I'm still working on becoming a Utah instructor.

KG

SmokinMr2
09-07-2009, 11:41 PM
You will enjoy the Utah instructor's class. It's short and sweet but quite a lot of fun. Some great folks there.

Kurt Gepke
09-07-2009, 11:44 PM
You will enjoy the Utah instructor's class. It's short and sweet but quite a lot of fun. Some great folks there.

I'll have to go to SLC, right? That's what BCI told me. Not really looking forward to the 8 hour drive from Vegas.

KG

SmokinMr2
09-08-2009, 6:53 PM
I got lucky. My class was in St. George, about an hour and a half or so from Vegas so we just stayed a few days in vegas and consider it a "business trip" ;)
Lack of St. George classes was mentioned for the current posted schedule and Laura just said keep calling and asking to add St. George and they will add a few. Not sure why they stopped. The instructors said they like going there...
I'd get scheduled asap. It's a heck of a long wait to get into a class...

Big Jake
09-08-2009, 8:03 PM
For anyone interested I know an instructor in the L.A. area who is certified for Utah, Nevada, and Florida. He is a former LEO, Army Ranger and all around great guy.

His name is Roland Esparza and he can be reached by e-mail at ssprotection@hotmail.com If you contact him tell him that "Big Jake" from calguns referred you as I know him well.

In case you are wondering I do not get a commission or refferal fee for sending him business. He is a first class instructor!

leitung
09-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Woah, I thought MA/RI were practically no-issue unless you kissed some serious butt.. How do you go about getting these?

Big Jake
09-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Woah, I thought MA/RI were practically no-issue unless you kissed some serious butt.. How do you go about getting these?

You must get the training from a certified instructor for those states. The guy I know is certified for both. Both states will issue for what is called ALP or "All Lawful Purposes".

If you are interested contact Roland Esparza at ssprotection@hotmail.com

LazyBoy
09-09-2009, 2:59 PM
I'm thinking of getting my Nevada ccw, do I have to do the training in Nevada? If not does anyone do the training in the Bay Area?

Kurt Gepke
09-09-2009, 5:14 PM
I'm thinking of getting my Nevada ccw, do I have to do the training in Nevada? If not does anyone do the training in the Bay Area?

Yes. You are required to take the course in Nevada. As a non resident, you are free to train and apply in ANY county in Nevada.

If you're a resident, you are required to apply to the sheriff of the county in which you live.

Hope that's what you're looking for.

KG

Eat Dirt
09-13-2009, 9:15 PM
I don't know if any threw out the name of this place yet .

But I got my Neveda and Uath CCW thru "" the Gun Store "" in Vegas on Tropicana
Don't know if they still teach the class

Here's the link :http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/

Sinixstar
09-14-2009, 3:29 AM

Clark County has a few slightly different laws - that may be one of them (no OC is another one).

I know in douglas county - they don't record serial number, because if you have multiples of the same gun - you can carry any of them if you've qualified on any one of them.

Kurt Gepke
09-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Clark County has a few slightly different laws - that may be one of them (no OC is another one).

I know in douglas county - they don't record serial number, because if you have multiples of the same gun - you can carry any of them if you've qualified on any one of them.

You can OC in Clark County. IMHO, you'd be best served NOT to OC on The Strip or downtown at the Fremont Street Experience.

Nevada is NOT an open carry state. It is a "free carry" state. Because there is no statute prohibiting OC, it is therefore de facto legal. It is more common in rural communities but you will also see a fair amount in Sparks, Reno, and some in Las Vegas.

Also, without a CCW permit, you can still have a loaded handgun in your car and it can be concealed in your car AS LONG AS IT IS NOT CONCEALED UPON YOUR PERSON. Of course, having a Nevada permit allows you to CCW in your car.