PDA

View Full Version : Springfield TRP 1911 on Ca. list?

squatting_caveboy
08-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Can't figure out if the Springfield 1911 TRP line is approved. The model number on the Ca list doesn't quite match up (one letter off)

Anyone buy one of these beauties??

Black Majik
08-16-2009, 12:06 AM
The TRP armory kote and stainless are CA approved.

squatting_caveboy
08-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks Richard! Great news....

bin31z
08-16-2009, 1:07 AM
That letter just means its a package with the case and stuff. The gun is on the roster.

SNEAKS
08-16-2009, 1:42 AM
All models of the TRP are available to CA. The P at the end stands for package which mean that it comes with the holster and mag holsters. I have a TRP in Armory Kote with no rail and love it. If you get one you will not be disappointed. Its one of the best combat pistols you could ask for.

sobiloff
08-16-2009, 10:34 AM
I have a TRP in Armory Kote with no rail and love it. If you get one you will not be disappointed. Its one of the best combat pistols you could ask for.

I have one, too, that I bought here in CA years ago when SA first came out with the TRPs. I love it--it's been absolutely flawless, and I'm seriously thinking about getting another one to match it. ("Two is one, one is none.") It hurt to spend that much money on a pistol, but I haven't regretted it for a second.

SNEAKS
08-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Thats funny. I thought about doing the same thing.:43:

swerv512
08-16-2009, 6:58 PM
+1...
The "P" in the model number just stands for package- meaning holster, magazines, cleaning tool, and bore brush...
i love the one with the rail the 9105... :drool5:

bin31z
08-16-2009, 8:53 PM
Only reason I never got a TRP is because:

1. Don't like the cocking serrations, I'm old school, I like the GI vertical serrations
2. I would want to change out too many of the internal parts, it'll end up costing a bunch more
3. I don't like ambi safeties.

After some calculation, I figured that after all the changes that I would want to do, I might as well just get my gunsmith to make me a full house custom on a GI spec Springfield 45.

sholling
08-16-2009, 9:11 PM
It's the next and maybe last handgun on my must have list. The safe is full but it would be nice to have a great combat factory custom.

bin31z
08-16-2009, 11:23 PM
It's the next and maybe last handgun on my must have list. The safe is full but it would be nice to have a great combat factory custom.

Its not a "custom" its just a factory gun. The production process is same as for loaded, gi, mil-spec models except it comes with aftermarket parts. No hand fitting involved.

sholling
08-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Its not a "custom" its just a factory gun. The production process is same as for loaded, gi, mil-spec models except it comes with aftermarket parts. No hand fitting involved.This is true. I should have said factory semi-custom which is the term that most people use for any loaded up 1911. However the TRP's reputation for reliability meets my need for a good reliable SHTF 1911. I just shoot 1911s better than anything else and while Baers are awesome I feel that they're just too tight for that role, and Wilsons are to pricey for my budget. And besides I have a Smith & Wesson Performance Center PC1911 for my pride and joy target pistol. Either way I just bought another 1911 and the TRP (or maybe a Baer) will have to wait a year.

Sam
08-17-2009, 12:14 AM
This is true. I should have said factory semi-custom which is the term that most people use for any loaded up 1911. However the TRP's reputation for reliability meets my need for a good reliable SHTF 1911. I just shoot 1911s better than anything else and while Baers are awesome I feel that they're just too tight for that role, and Wilsons are to pricey for my budget. And besides I have a Smith & Wesson Performance Center PC1911 for my pride and joy target pistol. Either way I just bought another 1911 and the TRP (or maybe a Baer) will have to wait a year.

Do you know how to justify the price for a Wilson (or a Baer)? Take the price and amortize that over your remaining years left on this earth and then your children's years left. That's how much it will cost per year to enjoy it. ;)

sholling
08-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Do you know how to justify the price for a Wilson (or a Baer)? Take the price and amortize that over your remaining years left on this earth and then your children's years left. That's how much it will cost per year to enjoy it. ;)
In my case it's a matter of having to decide to come out of retirement to afford a sweet high-end pistol before arthritic hands make me unable to use it. Plus I don't have family and my dog is a lousy shot. We'll see. I just don't shoot anything else as effortlessly as I do a 1911. Getting old sucks.

xxdabroxx
08-18-2009, 11:44 AM
They are much better that the standard GI's, they have NM parts. Which means everything starts out oversized, and are made in USA. I dumped the ambi on mine. The single extended is about to go next, i like the Wilson safety on my dads 1911 better, less intrusive. I don't need a half inch of safety sticking out the side of my pistol.

bin31z
08-18-2009, 2:54 PM
They are much better that the standard GI's, they have NM parts. Which means everything starts out oversized, and are made in USA. I dumped the ambi on mine. The single extended is about to go next, i like the Wilson safety on my dads 1911 better, less intrusive. I don't need a half inch of safety sticking out the side of my pistol.

TRP's do not start with oversized parts. Just look at the TRP package on their custom shop page. They don't even tighten the slide to frame like in the PRO package. I've seen somewhere where it said that they hand fit the slide to frame and its just not true. TRP's are built on normal guns with parts added, there's no way they hand fit a NM slide to frame for that price point. Especially with all those other addons.

jjdeneen918
10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
So the only difference between, say the TRP and a Professional is "hand fitting" through their custom shop?

Anyone know what the price difference would be between the 2..?

NiteQwill
10-11-2009, 11:14 AM
So the only difference between, say the TRP and a Professional is "hand fitting" through their custom shop?

No

Each professional is hand built one at a time. Parts are much, much better (Nowlin barrel, for example).

Check out Hilton Yam's article on 1911s: http://10-8performance.com/id8.html

sholling
10-11-2009, 11:51 AM

By itself that makes a huge difference. If memory serves the professional runs about $2500 but I don't think it's on the list. They will convert your SA pistol but it's almost as much.

For about $1700 you can buy a hand built S&W PC1911 ($2500 MSRP) or Les Baer.

Synergy
10-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Maybe I am missing something? A TRP which is not custom fitted, just a general assembly line 1911 with match grade this or that is going for about $1400. When there are full custom fitted 1911's going for $1300 and up.

sholling
10-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Maybe I am missing something? A TRP which is not custom fitted, just a general assembly line 1911 with match grade this or that is going for about $1400. When there are full custom fitted 1911's going for $1300 and up.
What full custom fitted 1911s cost $1300?

Synergy
10-11-2009, 12:27 PM
What full custom fitted 1911s cost $1300?

Yes there are if you can get around the DROP list. Look at the Fusion Scout 1911 5 Inch, Starting at $1295 of course if you want more, it goes up! Fusion is building quite a good reputation.
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

Quite a lot of followers and customers on another forum
http://1911auto.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21

retired
10-11-2009, 12:53 PM
No

Each professional is hand built one at a time. Parts are much, much better (Nowlin barrel, for example).

I posted a thread in this forum about a high line 1911 and someone stated that Nowlin barrels are no longer used, but they didn't know what SA was now using.

jjdeneen918
10-11-2009, 6:52 PM
No

I didn't intent on inferring "hand fitting" was just some hour-job that was over priced.
I've read each pistol take 45 days to build. That does seem like a long time though, I can't imagine someone is working on it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for a month and a half, but maybe they are, dunno....:confused:

So a TRP is about $1300 and a professional is about a grand more? Besides the the bolt-on additions, which in and of itself shouldn't cost more to install on a pistol besides their actual inceased cost, what is involved in the 45 days of labor...??

all1911
10-11-2009, 7:11 PM
The TRP is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with a few features to make it look like the full custom Professional model (FBI SWAT pistol).
The Professional is a full custom pistol that begins with a national match frame which has the oversized slide rails cut into the frame in our Geneseo machine shop. It uses all custom parts, including the Springfield Custom tool steel hammer & sear, Nowlin barrel & bushing, S&A mag well, Wilson ambi thumb safety, Novak low mount rear sight, dovetail front sight, match skeletonized trigger, standard guide rod system, and 6 specially tuned Metalform 7 round magazines. These pistols are hand assembled by custom gunsmiths in our Geneseo custom shop, under the supervision of master gunsmith David Williams. The Professional models meet or exceed all specifications of the FBI SWAT contract, including the accuracy requirement of 1.5" or better at 25 yards with Remington Golden Saber ammunition. The civilian pistols and the FBI pistols are built at the same time, with the gunsmiths never knowing whether a civilian or FBI agent will be using the pistol. These pistols are built approx. every 45 days, with the FBI order being filled first and civilian orders getting all of the remaining from the production run. These pistols do not have front cocking serrations or full length guide rods because the FBI chose not to have these features on their pistols. (Front cocking serrations catch on clothing and full length guide rods require additional tools for disassembly.) These pistols are finished with the Black T finish done by Walter Birdsong in MS.

The TRP pistol is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with more hand fitting than a standard factory pistol, as well as a 2 piece mag well, night sights, and better tuning internally. It has a quoted accuracy of 2.5" or better at 25 yards with match ammunition. It has the front cocking serrations and full length guide rod, just like the other factory "loaded" models. These pistols are finished with Springfield's Armory Kote finish, which is a painted on, baked on finish similar to the Black T finish.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Inc.
420 West Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254
(800) 680-6866
customshop@springfield-armory.com

jjdeneen918
10-11-2009, 7:27 PM
Deb, that was a wealth of information. Thank you.

Besides the lack of a full guide rod not needing specialty tools, (I would imagine that would aid in field striping the pistol) but, what would the additional benefits be? I imagine a full guide rod would place more mass at the front of the pistol, reducing the effects of "muzzle flip" an added bonus for a tactical police-type pistol.
I would guesstimate a SWAT intended pistol, would not need the added benefit of front frame checkering. My experience would led that SWAT would carry a thigh mounted weapon platform as their entry vest are more bulky that standard soft-armor. I assume it is compromise as the weapon would also be used/carried by business suited (tie/jacket) agents?

(This is all brainstorming on my part, not trying to reinvent or criticize the wheel, just curious)

I'll have to look into the "6 specially tuned Metalform 7 round magazines". I would guess they are fitted to the internals of the frame..?

Louierocco63
10-14-2009, 6:14 PM
I just bought one for about 1600 at Martin B. Retting. Get them while you can, for I was told that Springfield is not making them anymore. Pics are from tmcarms. I get mine next month.