PDA

View Full Version : What happens if? Sig 226 barrel changes...wrong cal. round vs. barrel size?

Charles4400
08-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Been doing some research on Sig p226 and have fired it in .40 ...great feel!

I also like the fact that you can change out the barrels to shoot .357 Sig and 9mm with barrel changes (9mm barrel from 3rd party vendors)

Question is if one is not careful and has the barrel for .40 but loads .357 Sigs in it (or the barel for 9mm and loads .40s in it) will the gun still fire or is there some kind of check mechanism that will not allow it? If it can fire what exactly will happen?

On the flip end and you have a larger sized barrel on it but fire a smaller caliber round will it also work and what will happen....

Not trying to throw useless hypotheticals out there but want to know from a safety standpoint what actual worst case scenarios might be...

Thanks!

MarioS
08-15-2009, 11:50 PM
I don't think a .40S&W cartridge will even fit inside a 9mm barrel; my 9mm brass always gets stuck inside my .40S&W brass cases when I tumble them.

Grayblue
08-16-2009, 1:52 AM
Okay, now that someone's done feeding one's own ego with worthless answer, I'll answer it.

357SIG gets narrower at the case neck, and so does its chamber. So, a 40S&W round would not fully chamber in a 357SIG pistol. With the slide out of battery to that much degree, the trigger disconnect would disable the pistol from firing.

It may be possible that 357SIG may feed in a 40S&W pistol, as it was designed to feed in a pistol in similar dimension with only a barrel change. Pressure itself won't do damage, since 40S&W and 357SIG pistols are designed to handle pressure in the range of those ammo types. If a 357SIG round do fire in a 40S&W chamber, the narrower front of the case would rupture because it won't be supported by the chamber wall. The round might be thrown forward, but with less velocity and no gyro stabilization. The slide may not cycle.

Similar things happen when a 9mm is fired in a 40S&W chamber. Those type of incidents do happen, and there are many reports of it from people like law enforcement agents who use both 40S&W and 9mm for their duty and back up weapon.

BillCA
08-16-2009, 6:14 AM
Attempting to chamber 40 S&W in a .357 Sig barrel will result in a weapon stoppage since the .40 won't be able to chamber fully.

The .357 Sig is a .40 S&W case necked down to .357, so it will fit into the .40 S&W barrel and the system will lock the breech. You might not get ignition since the .357 case won't be supported and can't headspace on the mouth or shoulder of the round. If it does go off, the case will expand out at the shoulder, which is a good thing. It's possible the .357 Sig case could rupture the unsupported area above the feed ramp since the .357 Sig operates at 5,000 psi more than the .40. But it's more likely to bulge out the shoulder of the case and spit the bullet down the barrel at sub-standard velocity. The case may split or rupture, causing a stoppage for the next round.

A 9mm bullet in a .40 barrel can have similar results. Often a weapon stoppage occurs because the extractor doesn't pick up the round or the ejector doesn't clear the weapon. Very likely the sub-standard pressure generated won't operate the slide. Other possibles include FTF because both rounds headspace on the mouth and the 9mm can be pushed slightly further into the .40's chamber and fail to ignite.

Vin496
08-16-2009, 8:04 AM
In 93 or so I was out shooting with both a G19 and G23, somewhere along the way the G23(.40) got loaded with 9mm. Shot it and immediately noticed something wasn't right the gun went bang, but the sound was almost muted and the slide only cycled about half way.

Ejected the magazine pulled the slide back and the 9mm case was still in the chamber, tried to extract it but it had swelled and become stuck in the barrel. Took a little prying with a screwdriver, but it came right out. The case had just expanded, but besides that no damage to the G22.

Went on the rest of the day being extra careful, but the gun functioned fine afterwards. I wouldn't recommend trying it, but shooting a .357 out of a .40 barrel would probably result in no more than an inaccurate shot and an odd noise. Since it has the pressure it would probably cycle, but again, if the bottleneck on the case expands, it may cause some damage to the gun since it does have the power to cycle it.

Charles4400
08-16-2009, 8:20 PM
Well as long as nothing blows up in your face if you have the wrong combo that's good! That was my biggest concern!

Thanks for the replies..very informative!

MarioS
08-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Okay, now that someone's done feeding one's own ego with worthless answer, I'll answer it.

357SIG gets narrower at the case neck, and so does its chamber. So, a 40S&W round would not fully chamber in a 357SIG pistol. With the slide out of battery to that much degree, the trigger disconnect would disable the pistol from firing.

It may be possible that 357SIG may feed in a 40S&W pistol, as it was designed to feed in a pistol in similar dimension with only a barrel change. Pressure itself won't do damage, since 40S&W and 357SIG pistols are designed to handle pressure in the range of those ammo types. If a 357SIG round do fire in a 40S&W chamber, the narrower front of the case would rupture because it won't be supported by the chamber wall. The round might be thrown forward, but with less velocity and no gyro stabilization. The slide may not cycle.

Similar things happen when a 9mm is fired in a 40S&W chamber. Those type of incidents do happen, and there are many reports of it from people like law enforcement agents who use both 40S&W and 9mm for their duty and back up weapon.

Excuse me? I didn't realize that answering a part of his question was feeding one's own ego. I'm assuming you were referring to me.

kenjimatic
08-17-2009, 7:03 AM
I own a Sig P229 in .40 S&W and I also got the .357Sig and 9mm Barsto barrel(need to use a dedicated 9mm mag. to function properly ie. P228 mags). I'm extra careful.. double, triple check that usually works.. :thumbsup:

justin_5585
08-17-2009, 9:42 AM

Way to be an ***. Totally uncalled for. Did you find him egotistical because he reloads and tumbles his brass? Unless there was a post that has been deleted you were referring to, you are a dickfore.

MP301
08-19-2009, 6:03 AM
He said dickfore! :rofl: as in "what is...."

Grayblue
08-19-2009, 9:22 AM
Excuse me? I didn't realize that answering a part of his question was feeding one's own ego. I'm assuming you were referring to me.
No.
There was another post after you that did not answer the question at all, and giving advice not to point guns at first born, etc. for some unknown reason.

MarioS
08-19-2009, 4:54 PM
No.
There was another post after you that did not answer the question at all, and giving advice not to point guns at first born, etc. for some unknown reason.

Got it. I didn't see that post so I assumed you were referring to me, the poster must have deleted it. All good then, I apologize.