View Full Version : Father to Daughter Handgun Transfer from out of State

Neil San Diego
08-22-2005, 9:27 AM
Have a freind (she lives in California) who would like to accept a handgun from her father who lives out of state. It is his old service weapon he would like to hand down, an old S&W snubbie. Is this possible?

- sorry, I tried a search but couldn't find anything specific enough to this situation

08-22-2005, 12:44 PM
While a handgun can go legally froma father to a daughter without any paperwork, this persumes both parties are in California. If the gun is being shipped into the state, the gun must be on the Roster of Handguns Certified by the State. Check the model of the gun against the Roster. If it's on there, then your friend is good to go. If it's not, then, oh well...

08-22-2005, 8:11 PM
hm, i thought its ok to transfer as long as its NOT an AW, or have specific features. So for a basic stub nosed revolver, it should be good o go. Easiest way is to call the DOJ and just ask

08-22-2005, 9:44 PM
I'm not sure about the out of state aspects, but I do know for sure that paperwork is required on the transfer. You don't need to use a dealer, but the oplaw form must be sent in to DOJ with $19 for as many handguns as you want. Then they'll send you a letter confirming registration.
Publications page
with oplaw form

Oh yeah, the receiver must have a HSC.

Neil San Diego
08-23-2005, 3:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Guess its not looking good for the out of state transfer if its not on the "list".

09-02-2005, 3:45 PM
Neil - I asked CA DOJ about this, and they told me that an out-of-state "immediate relative" (parent, grandparent, or adult child) could send a gun to an FFL for the intended recipient with a notarized letter stating that it's a transfer between immediate family members. Before doing that, though, I would contact CA DOJ and try to get something in writing. I would also contact the CA FFL and make sure that they have the same understanding, and get on a three-way conference call with the FFL and CA DOJ to make sure everyone's on the same wavelength.