PDA

View Full Version : Short barrel ammo with a full size pistol

awwwyeah206
08-15-2009, 6:14 PM
Went to a store and just picked up the last box of Gold Dot hollow points in 45 auto. Got home and realized that they are short barrel spec.

Are there any issues with using these with my full size M&P? Barrel length is 4.5"

thanks

MallNinja
08-15-2009, 6:17 PM
Is it gonna be your primary self defense ammo? If it is, I'd sell them or just shoot them through your gun and see how they work.

sholling
08-15-2009, 6:26 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Cartridge designers optimize the bullet design for an expected velocity range based on the weight of the bullet and the powder used and expected barrel length. Standard 45acp JHPs are optimized for a 5" barrel your short barrel cartridges are optimized for a 4-4.5" barrel. You'll be fine and they won't hurt your M&P. BTW I have the same pistol and love it.

ojisan
08-15-2009, 6:28 PM
Short barrel ammo has powder charges optimized to burn completely in the short barrels for the best velocity possible. They may also have chemicals in them to reduce muzzle flash at night.
You'll be fine using them in the 4.5" barrel.

ETA: I type too slow

1JimMarch
08-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah, no problem. The Gold Dot slugs hold together well even if "overdriven" past their designed speed range by at least a few inches of barrel and often more.

It's good ammo.

1911su16b870
08-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Some folks use +P, or +P+ in their short barreled handguns due to the belief that they need the added velocity to ensure reliable expansion, which may not be there with regular loaded hollow points. That opinon is from one of the Marshall/Sanow books.

IMO with todays HP loadings (accross the board), if you do your job and hit the target, the HPs will do their job and expand/stop the target.

sholling
08-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Some folks use +P, or +P+ in their short barreled handguns due to the belief that they need the added velocity to ensure reliable expansion, which may not be there with regular loaded hollow points. That opinon is from one of the Marshall/Sanow books.

IMO with todays HP loadings (accross the board), if you do your job and hit the target, the HPs will do their job and expand/stop the target.
I'll respectfully disagree. The velocity difference between failure to expand and fragnasty is fairly narrow. That's just simple physics. What modern cartridge design has done is lower the minimum reliable expansion velocity to within reach of 45acp.

But you are on to something here. Cartridge designers tend to be smart critters. If they are designing a cartridge (whether standard or +P velocity) for a 5" barrel they will optimize that bullet through a combination cavity shape and metal formulation to expand a large as possible at the expected velocity - without over expanding and fragmenting. The expected velocity will be higher with a +P round so the bullet may be optimized to expand to its fullest at a higher velocity. Thus a +P+ may not expand any better when fired from a 3" barrel than a standard velocity cartridge. That's where a short barrel cartridge comes in. They can be optimized for a shorter barrel by A) reaching design velocity sooner, or by B) using a bullet optimized to expand at say 80fps slower than normal, or C) a combination of the two.

Personally I tend to keep the heaviest available +P Federal HSTs in my full sized handguns and short barrel cartridges in my 3" handguns.